Cybertron - a Transformers prequel

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by luca_frontino, Jul 10, 2008.

1. luca_frontino

luca_frontino Well-Known Member

Let's talk about a possible prequel telling the origin of Cybertron, the rise of the original transformers, the coming of the war and the ultimate destruction of their planet.

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Real robots would be cool but I think it would take a lot more than 20 years to get robots to be acting like humans

What I want is a G1 style movie, not saying that the current trilogy is bad, but I'd like to see a point-for-point adaptation of the first few episodes of G1

3. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Why? The story of More Than Meets the Eye Parts 1 - 3 is pretty hokey by today's standards. Also, the Autobots hardly come off as heroes - they kept screwing up.

That's one of the most ridiculous things that I've ever read on this forum.

4. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :crazy: 

Wow, just wow.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    You should talk with Torque, a member on this site. He's building a real-life Transformer.

6. luca_frontino

One day a real transformer will be possible to construct.
    The Stan Winston studios are the state of the art in robotic: look what they can do now.
    Don't underestimate the evolution speed of our technology.

7. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I would only want a G1 movie if it was set in 1984 and they recreated the magic and silllyness of the 80s.

8. luca_frontino

A period piece is an excellent idea.
    And imagine a real performing Optimus Prime showing at the premiere of the film.
    Just wait and see.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Look, I'm going to burst your bubble here, just because the sheer practicality of what you're suggesting is ludicrous.

First off, advanced robots is not yet at a point where we will be able to have bipedal robots go through the same motions as an actor. Today's bipedal robots - and robots in the next 10-20 years, I'd conjecture - are and will be capable of some basic weight-shifting walking movements, using a limited gyro + inertia scheme to give them the appearance that they are walking comfortably. However, the truth is, the complexity of weight shifting that occurs in the human body - weight-shifting that is emulated in the body of the Transformers in the movie - is so complex and subtle that trying to get a robot to "flow" through the movements of walking ALONE would be difficult. If you get further into having the robot run, walk, stop, shoot a gun prop, then run again...the amount of weight-shifting and balance work that goes into that goes beyond what today's robots are capable of doing.

Now, let's say that, within the next 10-20 years, somebody DID come up with a way to make a robot run, walk, stop, shoot a gun, duck for cover and start running again. Be honest - where would that technology appear FIRST? In a movie? Doubtful. Counter-arguments can be made that movies pioneer a lot of new technology, but we're talking about completely autonomous robots that are capable of far more balancing work than regular robots are capable of today - it ain't gonna be a "first stop - the movies!" deal. Those revolutions will come in the labs at MIT, USN Dalghren and Sony labs before they ever become ANYTHING potentially usable in film.

Lastly, the idea of actually having a robot transform into a vehicle puts this idea from crazy into the damn-near-impossible slot, if you're aiming at creating transforming robots for a live action film and aiming at a release date some time in the next 10-20 years. It's possible on a very small scale to create a functional robot that transforms into a 4-wheeled automobile - a team of Japanese grad students figured that one out, which was awesome - but upgrading that model to a full-size (i.e., car-size) vehicle, working out the mass/volume requirements of the car-sized vehicle, making sure the car-sized vehicle AND the robot both have the correct motive power and keeping the whole thing balanced in bipedal mode - at approx. 1 and a half stories tall?

Transformers is a fantastic story-telling device, but suggesting that human beings could build Transforming robots that have the same functionality, "robots-in-disguise" espionage abilities AND human-like agility borders on the insane. I can see something like this being feasible before the end of the century or by 2060 or so, but not any time immediately soon.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:

:jawdropper: 

11. luca_frontino

Does Trans-fan mean to make feel pissed off and insulted anyone who think of a futuristic idea?

For "real performing robots" I meant "remote controlled machines" and not the impossible that you, Ops-was-a-truck, were talking about.
    Have you ever watched Terminator 3? The T-1s in that movie were all real, not CGI.
    So, making a prediction that in 20 years we could get a film with real robots as transformers, not as kiddish humanoids talking and stepping, but like silent and cold calculators, with the tone of a Terminator movie is not a stupid statement.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Naw dude, I'm not trying to piss you off. I'm just trying to point out that autonomous robots that are capable of standing up on their own AND go through the motions of acting are beyond our current realm of technology - even if they were to accept commands from a remote control. It's just an over-arching truth of robotics right now.

I do need to point out that the Terminator models were a combination of stop-motion models and upper-torso or mid-body animated props that made up the majority of the T-800 scenes. In regards to special effects cinematography, there were never any autonomous, upright-walking T-800 models that couold maintain their own balance - this was done with "film magic" (see above.)

In truth, we do have "cold and calculating walking robots" that can walk around on their own at present - the Asimo, the Albert HUBO and QRIO, for example - but I don't think they'd quite convey the awesomeness that a CGI Optimus Prime would. ;) 

13. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    If there was a Transformers: Cybertron movie (a prequel), I would want Robert Zemeckis to direct it. I don't think Michael Bay would want to direct a totally sci-fi movie that doesn't take place on Earth.

14. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Not only that but "silent and cold calculators" as luca_frontino put it, are pretty much the anti-thesis of Transformers. They're alive, sentient, with unique personalities and emotions. That's what makes them so enduring. Eliminating that for the use of real robots would take away most of the appeal of the property.

That being said, a CGI-prequel set on Cybertron (using CGI that's live action movie quality) would be awesome, though probably cost prohibitive, unfortunately. :( 

15. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    That's why Robert Zemeckis with a track record of CGI films (Polar Express, Beowulf) can pull it off. He was one of the very first directors to be announced as the director for the original movie anyways so this would be a great opportunity for him to still be a part of the franchise.

16. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    as long as they don't look like polar express or beowulf. god damn those movies irked me for a kind of laziness. either go full cgi or live action, don't half ass it

17. luca_frontino

No, man.
    These
    [​IMG]

18. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why honestly fret about using animatronics for the Transformers when the CG was flawless?

19. luca_frontino

Because they would be surely more realistic (CG can't be perfectly done). Sometimes I felt the robots were without weight and moving too fast for their mass.
    And there is also the opportunity to show the robots to the public and the press, when with CGI you can't.

20. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And that's where your post lost any credibility...