Cybertron a barren wasteland

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jun 14, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Optimus makes these statements about Cybertron:
    “A war that ravaged our planet until it was consumed by death... Our war finally consumed the planet...” 2007
    “The war was lost. Cybertron is but a barren wasteland.” 2011

I guess that’s a clear statement that Cybertron was dead, along with anyone left behind on it. It’s a shame, because G1/PRIME canon states Megatron left Shockwave behind to control/rebuild what was left of Cybertron, which still had fighting Transformers who couldn’t/wouldn’t leave for another world.

Had this plot element been used, it would have made for a series of fascinating (and possibly better) adjustments:
    - We have the infamous “Are All Dead?” slogan by Shockwave, which refers to BOTH the fate of Cybertron as well as his goal to subdue both Autobots and Decepticons

- Cybertron still has living Autobots/Decepticons warring within it

- Shockwave is the ruler of Cybertron’s remnants, and is aware of the deal Sentinel made with Megatron: his role in it would be to deploy Decepticons through the first space bridge to wherever the bridge links to, for takeover.

- Sentinel opens a space bridge to Cybertron instead of the Moon, allowing Shockwave to put the above plan into action and lead troops to Earth. However, some Autobots on Cybertron take note of the bridge...

- when Sentinel forms the bridge that ships Cybertron, these Autobots on Cybertron take advantage of the bridge to head through to join the fight, bringing unexpected reinforcements to aid NEST in Chicago.

This would probably be too much to adapt into DOTM. And besides, I have no idea how to feasibly cast two villains, Sentinel Prime and Shockwave, of such equal stature in one film.

Anyway, it was something interesting that came to me: whether Cybertron was truly dead, and the possible implications of Cybertron still having life within it (beyond the creepy “Ratchet and Bumblebee are mass-murderers” claims that are going around).

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I frankly enjoy the concept of the Cybertronian race being almost on the brink of extinction, allowed some great dramatic opportunities for Optimus [and later] Sentinel Prime. And in Prime, the planet is also a Hellish wasteland, only not as barren as the movieverse counterpart.

And Cybertron having life within would make sense if every single character didn't comment how Cybertron is a dead wasteland [Optimus and Megatron both say the same thing, when these two agree on something, you need to pay attention].

3. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

According to G1 lore, Cybertron saw waves of transformers leaving Cybertron during the great war at different times. Prime's crew was the last wave to leave,but that was to look for energy sources. After the Arks crash, Cybertron was still inhabited but very small in numbers. Most of Shockwaves troops were generic robots that lacked transformation modes.

4. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    In case you haven't noticed, we're way past G1. The movie trilogy isn't G1. So lets stop with the "If it went like this..." threads.

5. OptimusPrimer25

OptimusPrimer25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you consider them canon, the comics from Reign of Starscream to DOTM Rising Storm shows Cybertron still having inhabitants they are just struggling for what ever energon remains

6. combaticon164

I think people can post what they please on these threads as long as its not inflamatory, who are you to stifle conversation. Chill out and have fun.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I liked when TFA had Cybertron as a planet in peacetime and all the conflict was elsewhere.

8. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Ye man, he disrespectin, throwing down our true colors meyan.

Just imagine fitting all that in a 2-2 and a half hour long movie. It's not like a TV series where you can have more subjects in four episodes than one movie. That's why you really can't compare G1 or Prime to the movie verse. Just trying to fit all this stuff in a movie is very difficult for a director.

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Just to aid QRLformer, here's basically anything that's said pertaining to Cybertron's fate.

Transformers:

Optimus: "And so began the war - a war that ravaged our planet until it was consumed by death..."

Optimus: "The war finally consumed the planet..."

Optimus: "With the All Spark gone, we cannot return life to our planet..."

RotF:

Optimus: "Your world must not share the same fate as Cybertron: whole generations lost."

Megatron: "The AllSpark is destroyed, and without it, our race will perish."

DotM:

Optimus: "But in the war’s final days, one Autobot ship escaped the battle. It was carrying a secret cargo which would have changed our planet’s fate. A desperate mission. Our final hope. A hope...that vanished."

Optimus: "The war was lost. Cybertron is now but a barren wasteland."

Sentinel: "So majestic and peaceful, this planet. Unlike the final days of Cybertron."

(plus, the various shots and scenes that showcase Cybertron riddled with explosions, smoke in the air, battle, soldiers firing, etc.)

So, although it's never out-and-out stated "yeah Cybertron is dead and everyone died with it", it's pretty heavily implied that whatever is left of Cybertron is a dead husk, a barren wasteland, a mere scorched skeleton of the former planet, beyond saving. If there are any inhabitants left on Cybertron, they are probably few and far between, scavenging for the scraps to survive on while they live out their decreasing days. Sure, Sentinel wanted to save it, but it's pretty clear that his plan probably wouldn't have worked. He's fighting for a lost cause. He is trying to enslave and stripmine a young, new, thriving planet in the hope that it might somehow aid in the survival of what is essentially a dead planet.

Would it have been cool to have seen Shockwave sitting on a throne on Cybertron? Ruling over a shamble of his former homeworld? Yeah it would have. And all of those other ideas of yours? Sure. But for the purposes of the movie as it is, it's not really necessary. (It would've made a great direct-to-video animated prequel though! :D  )

10. combaticon164

The point I am making that in both the movie and cartoon Cybertron is basically a wasteland. I think Bay did a good job showing us how brutal and damaged Cybertron was during the war.

11. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

I wasn't really talking to you, sir. Just agreeing to what you said to Bluebe. The other part was for QLR.

12. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    Eh, thanks for the offer, but I choose not to. I don't see why people are always saying "It should of went like this..." or "If it followed G1..." By now, I would of expected people to just stop with the topic. It could of been like G1, but it wasn't. So lets get over it.

13. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Ok, well let's review.

90% of the plot from DOTM : G1 (The Ultimate Doom, and Megatrons Master Plan)

The Sun Harvester from ROTF: G1 (The Solar Needle)

Optimus, Jazz, Ravage, Shockwave robot modes: G1 updates

Autobot cast (Optimus, Jazz, Ratchet, BB, Ironhide, Sideswipe, Wheeljack/Que: Primarily G1

The surname of Witwicky: G1

So far we have a lot of G1 already in the Bayformers movies.

14. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

OP this is a very interesting topic. I was mulling around creating a similar thread; It'll be different from this topic.
    I always thought that having Cybertron being completely dead was a huge downer. To me it demonstrates that no matter how hard the Autobots fight to save Earth, and stop the Decepticons; the Transformers fate will ultimately be doomed.
    No hope for Cybertron; no hope for the Transformers as race.

15. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. For some, there's not enough G1. For others, the movies are already quite G1. And both situations cause s**tstorms to arise.

I agree with you that it is sort of a downer. From the Transformers' perspective, that is. Their fate is ultimately doomed. But ours isn't. Which is what the Autobots are fighting for. The Transformers may not be able to return life to their planet (through Megatron's "create an army of evil robots"-way, Sentinel's "enslave and stripmine Earth"-way or the Autobots methods), but you can be sure that the Autobots aren't going to let our world hang in the balance. That's why I always loved the tagline of "Our world, their war". Optimus' ultimate goal is to protect the human race, seeing as how we were unwillingly brought into this. If their raced is doomed to perish through no fault but their own, Optimus will not let the Earth experience the same fate.

I just hope they explore that a bit in TF4. Maybe not even the entire plot, but heck, even if it's only a two minute exchange between Lennox and Optimus about his race's fate, tough choices, as long as Earth is safe, etc., etc., etc.. That'd be better than nothing.