Cybertron 14" Starscream - Worth It?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I keep picking this up at the stores I go to for my TF needs, but can't decide if I want to buy him or not.

If it's not already obvious via my past posts, I'm pretty loyal to the G1 characters & designs, and hate everything to do with the Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Energon, RID, Cybertron, etc. lines. But the thing that grabs my attention about Cybertron Starscream other than his huge size is the fact that he looks an aweful lot like his War Within design... which are probably my favorite TF designs ever. So that's a convincing selling point. But what I don't like is the idea of these light-up guns, something called "planet keys" and whatever other bells & whistles he comes with. Though the crown ala TF:TM is a nice touch.

So what do you guys think? Is this figure still worth having as a display piece even if I don't decide to "unlock" all the special parts/functions... or whatever the hell you're supposed to do to him? He's priced at $79.99, hence the plea for some advice here.

Thanks!

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Well, with Cybertron getting ready to end, I'd expect them to start going on clearance pretty soon. If I could, I'd wait until then. :) 

3. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yea, it's a nice figure. The cyber keys are just used to plug into a slot on the top of each arm to flip out the big gun and the big blade, and unlike every other figure in the cybertron range, he comes with two keys so you could plug them both in and leave them in if you wanted. As for the lights and sound, I've never bothered to explore those things on any of my cybertron toys yet.

Plus he's got a pretty nice transformation for such a large figure.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I got 'em, and I love him. To me, he was worth paying full price.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I agree. He's a brilliant toy.

6. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    He was worthy of being my second overall Transformers purchase, he's also really really big!

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It depends entirely on whether or not you can get ahold of the normal-sized version. If so, go with that. If not, and you still really want it, get the ridiculously huge one.

8. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I have both the galaxy force version and the huge cybertron version, both appear in the show, so I got them both. and both are nice in my opinion.
    Granted, I only payed 25 dollars for it at k mart back in july 2005.

9. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

If you've after it as a WW toy I think you'd be a lot better off with the Voyager version from Galaxy Force personally, just because they're more likely to make any future WW toys somewhat in scale to GF Screamer than the Supreme toy.

Phazer

10. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

You better believe its worth it..

11. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I could have gotten one for 40$ Canadian (on clearance).

However, I passed - he's FAR too big to fit in with my troops.

Though I'd like the GF version, he's too much right now - I've just got the Japanese LOC version.

12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I've been trying to sell my MISB one for $25 for months now. I bought him on an impulse one day, but since I have the GF version can't see keeping him any longer.

13. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

Yeah he's worth it, mine was a gift to me and was the first Cybertron figure I got. The lights and sounds are neat, but nothing big there three sounds in total and two spots that light up.

14. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Pluss you get the crown and hes just freakin big and awesome looking. My shelf would be bare without him.. Th lights and sounds are cool and his cyber key parts are phat..

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I dunno, Speaking as a fellow Calgarian I understand that you will prob have to get him at either Zellers or Toys R Us. It has been out for a while (almost a full year) and Wal Mart had him for 30 bucks a while back.

My personal thoughts: he is not worth the full price. Sure he is big, but has very little detail that you would expect from a 70 dollar fig.

Get Primus instead. Less pricey, way more detail and you can have a toy of cybertron for your gen 1 figs.

16. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Hmm, $80 bucks seems pretty expensive, especially since you see him on clearance for between $25-$35. I dont know, I got mine for $50 and I have to say Im kind of disappointed, I dont like how TFs of the past few lines where you can see there heads in there alt mode, plus he really doesn't have the nice articulation and features that say Unicron had and for the same price. If you can find him for $30 or less I'd say go ahead and pick him up but I wouldn't spend much more on him if I was you.

17. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Except of course he mean 79.99$ Canadian don'cha know

18. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

He got me back into collecting TF's… I got him for $40 (Canadian) at a wm, on clearance, last winter. Then, I started buying Alts and more Cybertron figures.
    Wait 'till he hits clearance, not worth $80, compared to Primus. Or get someone to give you a gift certificate for Zellers or TRU for your birthday, or whatever. It'll take a chunk out of the retail price.

19. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

hes a great guy, i got mine MISB for 20 bucks shipped off of e-bay, hes not worth the 79.99, and whatever that equals in american money, hes lacking alot of detail and his hands make me cry everytime i play with him..... but if you can wait and find one cheaper that would rock, and i say get him.... i think with the next 3 months and stuff, im sure you will find one fairly cheap, considering hes gone on discount in alotta places......about the sounds and bells and whistles... i took his batteries out, but they wernt all that bad, he makes a cool slashing sound when you move one of his arms to the right point, his eyes light up and his missile thingies do too... his key gimmick is pretty sweet, not as cool as the way his little version does (wich i dont have and i want).... plus hes got storage for both of his keys on his back. also you get a pair of earth keys, one gold, and one silver....

and i need not mention hes got the crown

20. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I love mine! He' s one of the first Cybertron line toys I bought! There's always been something cool about humongous toys. Gotta love 'em! And the crown seals the deal.