Cyberton's Ecology?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Vector Squidma, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    Just curious about something. I know that there have been passing mentions of Cybertronian wildlife, but has it ever been stated that Cybertron has an entire robotic ecosystem? I mean everything up from robotic analogues to bacteria to the transformers themselves.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think it really just varies with the fiction and the particular universe.

3. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

This idea meshes with my veiws on tfs, but I don't know if it was ever specifically mentioned in the cannon or not

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

If we're going by cartoon canon (which is really the only canon I know), then I would say no. Cybertronians didn't evolve into being from the ground up on a robotic & mechanical planet. They were built by the Quintessons and upgraded to better serve and eventually rebel over time.

So I wouldn't say there would be Cybertronian wildlife. There was either no life there no begin with, or the Quints decimated the planet before turning it into what Cybertron became.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The basic idea that Cybertronian wildlife exists in various TF fiction suggests an ecosystem of some type, maybe not as extensive or complex as one from Earth, but still there.

I'd imagine some things would be different in nature - perhaps instead of actual robotic bacteria/virus/microorganisms, something more like a computer virus - a self-replicating piece of software using the robotic life forms as hosts.

6. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Turbofoxes. Apparently Mirage hunted them with his "high-priced" friends before the war.

:dj 

7. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Beast Machines did mention something about an organic core and fossils, didn't it? Then the robots that first came there wiped them out or something.

Then again, lots of people disregard Beast Machines' continuity...

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Its a tough call, especially with all the different continuities.

In most instances, though, it seems that Cybertron is less of an ecosystem and more of a fully-designed and complex machine, working off mechanical processes rather than biological one. So no cyber-bacteria in that case.

But there's been plenty of references to mechanical "animals", especially in the G1 cartoon, from petro-rabbits to turbofoxes to that weird robot squid, and in that one G1 tech spec as well, which I suppose covers toy continuity. There's also that whole organic core thing from beast machines, which I suppose still ties into G1 continuity.

A post-beast machines world would definitely function more like an ecosystem, but as to where the "organic" processes would stop and "technological" processes would begin? I don't think that was ever really addressed, and the inner complex workings of Cybertron are also often gleaned over.

When in doubt, "Primus did it."

9. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I am still vaguely frustrated that there are no images of anything aside from scraplets.

I can't even find fan-made turbofox pics. Maybe throw Hasbro a line and have it as a Botcon exclusive one year? Maybe packed in with a Mirage redeco?

- Coeloptera

10. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I'm going to quote a post I made in the "Cybertronians and Magic" thread because it seems relevant here:

Now, as for some other things...

This may have also been the case in the G1 cartoon, though. In The Dweller in the Depths, when the Autobots and Decepticons descend into the lowest levels of Cybertron, the passageways and corridors shift from being metal to solid rock. This suggests that Cybertron may originally have been a living, organic world or an asteroid that was once part of one.

What about a fan-drawn G1 Mirage reformatted as a Transmetal Turbofox? :D 

[​IMG]

11. AutobotIgnition

AutobotIgnition Autobot

How about the Antroid's that Starscream could never lead to a picnic? :p 
    And the 'Cyber-duck's in a barrel'.
    Technically, they'd probably be mechanical not organic. But then so are the Transformers.

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Cybertron was just a factory built by the Quintessons, so I wouldn't expect real ecology. Perhaps some dwellers in the depth ;)  :D 

13. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

But there has been animals shown on Cybertron is a few episodes. In 'Grimlock's New Brain' the Dinobots were fishing and catching what appeared to be actual fish. In one of the early Headmasters episodes I think showed some giant bat-like creatures in some cave or tunnel.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't say for sure about Cybertron either way, but the sea full of robo-fish and robo-squid from the '86 movie seemed like a rather apparent robo-ecosystem.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Since it was quintessa, its possible that was just a really elaborate and overdesigned moat.

16. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

My head asploded. I'm so confused right now :lol 

Why must there be so many continuities? It's hard to remember them all.

17. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Plus in BM, Nightscream scanned a fossilized bat.

As far as the Dinobots fishing, I thought maybe Spike and his family brought them from Earth.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Or the Dinobots went fishing.

But never caught anything. Ever.

(I'd have to see Grimlock's New Brain again.)

19. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it really depends on the continuity. Say if we go with the Primus idea their could also be animal like robots maybe not as complex as transformers but machines that just replicate themselves. If we go with the Quintession concept well if they made transformers I'd say animal like machines just for the sake of entertainment is not out of the question. Then when they left they would of been left behind to go wild.

20. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

If you follow G1 through BM then I'd say there's plenty of evidence for it. In G1 the atmosphere is breathable (other continuities often involve space suits on cybertron), and it even rains there. Lower levels as seen in Seaspon 3 showed that below the cities the planet was made of rock, meaning the quints probably built on top of an existing planetoid, likely wiping out the indigenous life.

Though the quints also look somewhat bio organic so it's also possible that they transported some eco system with them when they built Cybertron.

Now take that with BM clearly saying that Cybertron was originally an organic, earth-like planet, and it meshes pretty well.

That's the G1 toon version anyway. In the G1 comics the answer was pretty clearly an emphatic no. They just lived right on top of Primus, and humans needed space suits to survive.

In the Unicron Trilogy it looks to be a possible no. In Armada humans needed space suits on Cybertron, but all later series showed humans walking around breathing unaided. Considering in this 'verse we see that Cybertron is again Primus himself, it's possible that there was terraforming going on between Armada and Energon. Since humans were setting up TF friendly cities on Earth, I assume the bots did likewise for humans.

Movieverse is up in the air. We've seen very little of the planet, but it mostly looks to be rock covered, so it may be an extinct or non life bearing rock planet like Mars, or it could have the remnants of an ecosystem. There's not enough info there.

IDWverse borrows so much from the cartoons that I'd say almost certainly that it has an ecosystem even if it doesn't have organic origins.