Minor/Repaint: Cyber Battalion Shockwave knee mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ultraman zoffy, Mar 20, 2018.

1. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Well-Known Member

Don't fight it. Embrace the urge. =)

• Like Like x 2
  2. C16

C16 Space Nomad

If he scales well with Classics Megatron, I'm going to do the same thing but I'm going to install the joints lower. I don't want any height extension.

3. ultraman zoffy

Actually, if you go lower, you'll run into clearance issues behind the thigh area, and you'd need to remove a lot more material to get it to work (and to still maintain the alt mode). I originally thought about putting the ball socket inside the lower leg, but I decided not to have to shave off more plastic on an already hollow figure to get it to work.

4. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Yeah, I figured that. Going to do it anyway.

5. Furnace

Furnace The original Starscream

Simple yet effective!

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you create a tutorial, I'll resource it on Tutorials ;) 

7. ultraman zoffy

Cool! I'll work on it and try to get it done before the end of the week.

• Like Like x 1
  8. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Lovely. Would they're be any way to add a Shapeways part that was easy to install instead? Just some basic cutting, say, with a craft knife and some superglue, maybe?

9. FragtimusMagnus

FragtimusMagnus the DJD misfit

YouTube:
    you should 3d print some parts to help this and sell it

10. ultraman zoffy

3d printing could definitely be used for the socket portion in the lower leg, but I don't think there's any getting around having to drill a hole through the bottom of the thigh to attach a ball joint. If anything, what I did was just a rough draft for someone to come along and solve with a printer (still working on getting one in my house!) Thing about Shapeway parts though... I've bought a ton of TF stuff from there, and I've realized that they almost always are overpriced (especially after shipping), and the plastic doesn't often doesn't hold up well over time in applications that require tight tolerances. Personally, I would rather rig something up using "TF grade" plastic parts then pay for something that would likely cost more than CB Shockwave himself, which I'm sure would happen with Shapeways.
    I think best case scenario would be a 3P or KO company taking this figure and adding all the missing articulation it needs. Even I'd rebuy it if that happened because it'd probably be awesome. =p

• Like Like x 2
  11. Omegaonline

Omegaonline Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Probably the best scenario would be to 3d print a new upper leg, with the required swivels or ball joint built into the design. It may need to be constructed in multiple parts but it could definitely be done and as long as you print in ABS, the plastic would be robust enough to stand up to long term use.

I did something along similar lines for my Ironhide/Ratchet upgrade.

12. ultraman zoffy

Only issue I see with that is the thigh on CB Shockwave is held on with a pin instead of a screw, so a lot of folks might be uncomfortable with removing it to get the new parts on. The new parts would then either have to be compatible with the original pin, or accept an actual screw, and miniature screws are a little tough to track down. And again, the cost of those parts will probably exceed CB Shockwave's msrp, which is also tough to swallow. A simple, low cost figure would need a simple solution... it's tricky to navigate that problem. Stupid thing is, if Hasbro just made the knee work from the beginning we'd all be throwing tons of dollars at them! Guess they don't like money...?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  13. Omegaonline

Omegaonline Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I think I understand what you're saying about the pin. However, it is possible (because I've done a few pin replacement part mods) if you have the confidence & equipment to firstly get the pin out (which can be a pain in the butt) and replace it with a new part that doesn't require a pin to attach to the same joint. It would probably be hard to create something like this from styrene or from scratch but it's not that difficult to 3d print a solution. You basically create a pincer type of arrangement where the part pincers the joint and has 2 small protrusions (1mm length x maybe 1.75mm diameter) that will sit into the holes left after the pin has been removed. If the tolerances are tight, it will be tough to slide the new part into place but it will snap in there and give you a great pin free alternative. I actually don't know why HASTAK didn't design more joint solutions that way.

Anyway, just a thought for if you get a 3d printer. You could give it a try.

I appreciate what you're saying about the cost of the parts though. While it is very cheap to make these replacement parts on a custom basis, if you have your own printer; if you have to get them through Shapeways, it won't be cheap.

Anyway, great custom. Congrats on the result. Looks like the classics Shockwave we've been waiting for, like for forever....

• Like Like x 1
  14. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    I just want to find the figure. But it will have knees when I do, ohh yes, it will have knees.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SuperOptimus

SuperOptimus PRIME, Peacemaker

That's exactly what I said when I picked up Optimus off the shelf. He now rests among the collection with ball-jointed knees and ninja-articulated confidence. lol! I just wish Hasbro would have included these articulated designs. :peoples: 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just consider them love-letters to customizers.

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I didn't know he was that big!

18. ultraman zoffy

His height is variable depending on how the knee mod is done, which is cool because it makes him able to fit into a lot of different displays.

19. Toa Feron

Toa Feron Crookedstar's Biggest Fan

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Such a shame that one of the best looking official Shockwave figures ever made has such awful articulation. When I get this guy I'm definitely doing this, probably with Lego ball joints.

• Like Like x 1
  20. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Sup with those Megatron comparison pics?

• Like Like x 1