2D Artwork: CybCon Convention Exclusive Artwork

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey guys, I just thought I would share with you the artwork I did this year for CybCon. It's based off of the cover of issue #3 of the first series Marvel Transformers comic. I finished this piece juuuuust in time for the convention being held today. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

*sorry for the watermark, but I had to put it on there for reproduction reasons; I hope you guys can still enjoy the artwork!

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude...thats SWEET!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Very Nice

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    A classic! Awesome drawing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Cool, Spidey has his McFarlanesque webs. :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love it, I love it, I love it!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. tobecat

tobecat Transformers KISS Toby TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is a pretty amazing piece, I love it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Sweet! Will this be available as a print...?

• Like Like x 1
  9. evrdazed

evrdazed Well-Known Member

It looks kinda amateur-ish to me

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rutteger

Rutteger Well-Known Member

Looks great! I actually own that comic as well. Poor Gears :tongue: 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Right now, prints are only being made at the convention. One is going to come with the exclusive toy for the convention that is to be auctioned and the other print is going to be auctioned itself.

If some of you are interested in prints, please PM or e-mail me. Depending on the response might yield me to go have a few prints made. If the demand doesn't warrant a printing, I'll just leave it in the hands of the CybConers.

Please elaborate? I'm always looking for a constructive critique. However, unless you can offer a "why" you think this as well as an informative "how" it could be done better, merely having a negative opinion does me very little good. :wink

Thanks for all of the feedback guys (both positive and negative); I really appreciate it! :) 

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  12. bhiles

bhiles Member

Ebay:
    Nice!!! Congrats on the con gig!

• Like Like x 1
  13. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I strongly disagree.

I think it looks great.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The CybConers are good friends of mine (actually some of the very first TFans I've ever met on-line) and this is actually my third piece of artwork for their convention. If you'd like to see more, simply go to my gallery. :D 

Thanks again for the interest guys! :thumb 

15. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I just got back from CybCon and I saw that print in person, looks really nice. I also agree that it is somewhat Mcfarlanesque, which I think is cool.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Suntech

Suntech New Member

I have to agree (its great that you dont mind crits)
    There is some perspective problems with megatron and it looks like it you drew him from a memory you have from reading comics, the posing doesnt really fit the picture. Is he just standing there? Spidey has anatomy problems but i wont go deeper into explaining them, i think you know your self what the problem is. What is spiderman doing really? It doesnt fit the piece either. They looks kind of copy and pasted into the picture.

THe half ass comicish pen shading mixed with the digial coloring doesnt fit the picture either. For some reason you have shaded with the pen and highlighted with the digial color at the same place, Why? Also there isnt a really significant light direction in the piece. It really nice that you have taken some consideration on the radiocity from the background on spidey and made some of his outline orange, not many think if this. Did you? It doesnt really show on megs.

There ya go, a crit hehehe.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well, if you don't mind me pointing something out, something that grinds at me a bit is grammar, punctuation, etc. I'm not as unforgiving as some, but try proofreading posts. I say that more in a general sense more than pointing fingers, as it makes a good critique more credible. :wink: 

Anyways, in terms of the reference of Megs, I used my MP-5 (note the forearm details, etc.). I didn't want to do a straight redo of the original cover (I did want to do a new spin of sorts). I think it's pretty obvious that I grew up with Marvel comics and the like, but I don't think everything has to be so over the top. That's mainly where the post for Megs came from. He's tied up in webbing. If anything, he's struggling a bit because of it. With my piece, I mainly wanted to illustrate the mass of Megs versus this hugely dynamic pose that is more reminiscent of the actual cover.

As for Spidey, I'd think it's pretty obvious that he's in a bit of a contorted pose leaping around Megs. I wasn't trying to illustrate like Burne Hogarth here; I was more interested in the more contorted poses I've always loved about Spidey. Not the best reference in the world, but I was using a Microman figure while I was drawing.

Neither figure is copy + pasted into the illustration, regardless as to how they may look. Visually, I don't think it's too hard to figure out that Megs is tied up with webbing and Spidey is sort of leaping around him.

In terms of the pen shading, I think I'd have to agree with you. I was a bit under the gun with this piece (I cranked the finishes out in less than 2 days [not 2 days sitting at a board or PS, but 2 physical days that had life mixed in ^_^).

Mainly with the lighting, I wanted to make sure I got more of the reflections and such right on Megs. Again, this is where my MP-5 model came in. Is there a blatant light source from one angle as such? Neah, not really. As far as the background is concerned, you've hit the nail on the head with it being deliberate. There is some backlit/reflected light on Megs, but it's subtle. On Spidey, it's a bit more pronounced, but that's mainly due to the illustration style of the black costume that allowed for it a bit more.

I will applaud you on actually going through this piece and thinking through a few things. It's a bit more helpful than a sort of half-hearted, pompous comment about being "amateurish." But, hey, I mainly finished this piece as something for a bit of fun and to help out some friends. I'm not asking IDW or anyone else to beat my door down for a job to color. I'll leave that in more capable hands like Josh and Drew (props to ya guys! :thumb  ).

Also, I don't know how many critiques peeps on here have had to sit through and/or be a part of, but a critique isn't a golden opportunity to exercise one's on egotistical nature; a critique is for both the artist and the viewer to be able to view and evaluate a piece of work and think through it. Like I said, I appreciate the attempt anyways :) 

Again, thanks guys for all of your comments so far and I hope you all have as fun with this piece (praising or pounding, whichever you choose) as I did helping my friends out! :D 

18. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OMG AMATEUR U SUK LOTS KTHX BAI

:lol 

I'm kiddin' bro! Great work! Any chance of selling these on the boards?

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :lol 

Hehe, yeah if anyone is interested, just pm me. Like I said, if I'm able to get enough interest for a run, I'll see what I can do. If no one pms or e-mails, I'll just leave it in the CybCon hands.

Thanks for the props! :D 

20. rosedoggydog

rosedoggydog Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hmm... I was there today, I must have missed it. Then again I was busy as hell trying to work a deal in aquiring Alpha Trion (Oh yes, he is mine).

Looks good.

CybCon was fun too. I should have registered as a dealer.

• Like Like x 1