Customs: CybCon 2010 Exclusive?

Discussion in 'Requests' started by GregGaub, Apr 19, 2010.

1. GregGaub

GregGaub Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heya, everyone. :) 
    Anyone wanna make something for the exclusive toy for CybCon 2010?
    I've had a couple tentative offers ("Hey Greg, I can do a custom!" then nothing) from a couple people, but nothing firm or any progress. As such, CybCon 2010 is currently without an exclusive toy of any kind.

A little history for you: The first few CybCon exclusives were repaints by Zobovor. Cheap or inspirational toys that got a cool new paint application by hand. The last couple toys were also heavily modified. These usually were a dozen toys or less. We then had the wonderful CrazySteve do some resin casted toys, such as Cybertron Bumblebee and Jazz, and the Tetrajet in a special color, finishing off with a Kranix figure. We've also had a couple mass produced (relatively) toys through Fred's Workshop, but those were shared exclusives with other small local conventions.

As you can see, there's no "standard" for CybCon toys. There's no minimum to be made, or KIND to be made. If it's unique and TF related, then it's a worthy exclusive.

I'll be honest, though. This is NOT a money maker. Toy prices are always set to pay for the materials and other real expenses (donor toy, paint, shipping, etc) of the maker, not the maker's "time" and such. We try to have one for raffle, and if money to cover CybCon expenses is short, one for auction. One year we only had ONE toy, and it went up for auction. Don't make a CybCon toy in order to make a profit. Make one to prove yourself, to put your mark on a convention, or even just to help make CybCon a better convention. :) 

If you have any QUESTIONS, please post them here. If you have an OFFER, please PM me.

2. GregGaub

GregGaub Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A couple of things to consider.

There are a LOT of great ideas out there. Unfortunately, a great idea isn't enough. It also needs to be FEASIBLE. That means you know that you can get the donor figure easily and/or cheaply. It doesn't do any good to think of a really great repaint when the original toy will take weeks to find and piles of money purchase. Pretty much all the early recolors were of toys that were readily available on the shelves at the time of planning. Even then, though, sometimes we had to make a determined effort to buy the toy from multiple locations in order to get enough of them, and still that was only like a dozen toys.

If you have an idea that uses a peg warmer, that's the best way to go. Maybe even look around at stores to see what's in plentiful supply and come up with an idea based on peg warmers.