[CYB-3] Semifinal #1: #2 Onslaught vs #3 Tantrum

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Sep 12, 2009.

?

[CYB-3] Semifinal #1: #2 Onslaught vs #3 Tantrum

Poll closed Sep 14, 2009.
  1. Onslaught

96.1%
  2. Tantrum

3.9%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Cybertron Contests: Semifinal

Semifinal #1: #2 Seed Onslaught vs #3 Seed Tantrum

Voting ends at 11:59 pm(CT), September 13th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/bosskdawg/tourny-2.jpg

Tournament History

How they got here:

Onslaught defeated: Kickback & Bonecrusher

Tantrum defeated: Breakdown & Twintwist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ONSLAUGHT

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    SUB-GROUP: COMBATICON
    FUNCTION: COMBATICON COMMANDER

"The mind is the greatest weapon."

Profile: Perfection is what Onslaught seeks. He believes the key to a mission's success lies in its planning, not in its execution. Thus, a perfect plan virtually guarantees a victory. Onslaught prefers the intellectual battlegrounds of the mind, where he can carefully devise and polish his sinister schemes, to the physical battlegrounds of the war, where events don't always unfold as expected. The four Combaticons under his command consider him aloof, even dreamy, but a brilliant tactician. Typically, Onslaught takes a backseat role in the assaults he plots, choosing to observe and re-evaluate his strategy rather than actually engage in combat. But, when stirred to action, he is a relentless, furious fighter, a terrifying contrast to the reserved thinker he is otherwise. This side of Onslaught's personality comes as a surprise to most of the other Decepticons, but those who understand him know his violent behavior is born out of frustration that his plan didn't work, forcing his involvement, rather than any suppressed lust for battle hidden in his character.

Abilities: In missile trailer mode, Onslaught can reach speeds of 100 mph. His range is 2400 miles. He can launch photon missiles, with a range of 6500 miles. Each missile contains three independently targetable shells, each of which has an explosive force equivalent to 3000 tons of TNT. In robot mode, he uses a sonic stun-gun, which is capable of crumbling a hillside with one blast. He combines with his fellow Combaticons to form the giant robot Bruticus.

Weaknesses: Onslaught often puts too much faith in his plans and winds up going along with them longer than he should. Consequently, he doesn't get personally involved as quickly as changing situations might warrant. Electromagnetic interference can impair the accurate targeting and delivery of his missiles.

TANTRUM

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    SUB-GROUP: PREDACON
    FUNCTION: FUELER

"Anger gets me running better than any fuel."

Profile: Tantrum prefers using brute force and threats in situations in which reason would suffice. He's been known to knock a building down when all he had to do was turn a doorknob to get inside. He builds himself up into such overheated rages that steam puffs out of his nasal ducts. No one knows the source of Tantrum's chronic fits of anger, but his fellow Predacons suspect a fuel line in his cerebro-center isn't feeding properly into his logic circuitry, making him incapable of acting rationally for sustained periods. Everyone who's offered to help repair this problem has only succeeded in becoming another unfortunate victim of it. As Tantrum is fond of saying, "I don't like anyone messing around inside my head!" To dissipate his aggressive energies, Tantrum will usually attack objects like highway trestles and small buildings. He usually demolishes these structures with one blow, but always feels better afterwards.

Abilities: Tantrum has four exterior fuel tanks, one mounted above each leg, in his buffalo mode. He's able to carry a total of 1,600 gallons of extra fuel in these tanks for himself and his comrades. His normal range is 1200 miles, but, when his spare tanks are full, he can go an additional 8000 miles. Each of his horns can emit bolts of 20,000-volt electricity, often uncontrollably when Tantrum is angry. In robot mode, he uses a catalytic carbine, which shoots a stream of highly reactive chemicals that combine with whatever metals they hit to form new and usually very harmful alloys. He also has an electro-sword, which generates a powerful, often disabling electrical field that takes the form of a web of lightning-like strands of electricity. Tantrum combines with his fellow Predacons to form Predaking.

Weaknesses: Although heavily armored, Tantrum can suffer severe damage if one of his exterior fuel tanks is breached by artillery fire and blows up. His often volatile mental state makes him as much a menace to himself as anyone else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tech Spec Breakdown

Strength:
    Onslaught:8 Tantrum:8
    Intelligence:
    Onslaught:8 Tantrum:4
    Speed:
    Onslaught:3 Tantrum:3
    Firepower:
    Onslaught:8 Tantrum:8
    Skill:
    Onslaught:9 Tantrum:7
    Endurance:
    Onslaught:7 Tantrum:9
    Courage:
    Onslaught:8 Tantrum:9
    Onslaught:7 Tantrum:5

2. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Wow another pretty close tech spec battle that seems to leave Onslaught with a slim advantage...debate on!

3. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Onslaught would beat Tantrum just by being a master tactician and out-think the hot-headed Predacon.

4. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Well, what will twice as smart get ya?

5. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    Onslaught!

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I favour Onslaught in general here... but Tantrum is a surprisingly tough foe.

I'm actually a little surprised Onslaught only has 7 Endurance, though I think a big chunk of Tantrum's Endurance is his supplementary fuel. In terms of sheer durability, they're probably about even.

I'm not a tactical genius myself, but Onslaught is. Given the varied landscape provided by Cybertron and Tantrum's relatively predictable simple-mindedness, I have no doubt that any strategic advantage that is possible under these conditions, will be exploited by Onslaught. He'll always be a couple steps ahead, and Tantrum's going to charge into whatever ambush or trap Onslaught springs, over and over again. I think that's a HUGE part of Onslaught's advantage right there.

Likewise, I think a lot of the time, Tantrum won't even SEE Onslaught. Onslaught will be quite happy to keep as much distance between him and Tantrum as possible, and strike from relative safety... not because he couldn't handle himself, but because the notion of putting himself into such uncontrolled conditions would just seem distasteful to Onslaught. Plus, in a close quarters situation, Tantrum just has too many weapons to bring to bear.

On that topic, Tantrum has some serious Firepower... but he doesn't seem like the type to really use it to maximum effect. More likely he's of the "shoot everywhere, shoot often" personality. Conventional use of cover and angles of attack will allow Onslaught to avoid much of this, unless he screws up badly. Then it's just a matter of a tactical retreat... unless Onslaught is really angry about his error. Then he's going to throw down. :) 

Which brings us to Skill. Tantrum's Skill to me shows that when he's in a scrap, he's pretty dangerous. Onslaught's Skill on the other hand, shows an intensely competent professional. Possibly one could argue that some of his Skill is expressed through his tactical acumen, but in this scenario, that also will affect the outcome. Considering he has the power to back it up, Onslaught's 9 Skill is going to take Tantrum apart... preferably at long range, but in a short range skirmish too.

Lastly, there's the question of Onslaught's missiles... based on their description, they're MUCH more powerful than an 8 rating would suggest. Maybe this could be explained as a measure of their overall destructive potential when directed at an urban area, as opposed to the effect they would have on one individual TF in that target area. Either way, the range, accuracy, power and versatility (3 independently targetable warheads in each missile!) of these weapons is enough to pretty much seal Tantrum's fate.

Basically the only way I'd see Onslaught lose this is if he made a MAJOR tactical miscalculation that left him stuck directly in Tantrum's path... and even then, it might still be his bout. However, with 8 Intelligence and 9 Skill, Onslaught really doesn't make mistakes like that very often.

zmog

7. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Damn I love these match ups!

8. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    I don't think Onslaught would have much if anytime to formulate a "plan". Not off the bat ( for you again Solo :D  ) anyways. Tantrum's gonna charge right at him. So Onslaught is gonna have to taste some electricity and Predacon horn at least once.

They're both relatively slow with equal speed ratings so Onslaught isn't going to take the early hits, jet away and plot his counter attacks.

But Onslaught is a smart one. Twice as smart as his foe. So I'm sure he'd come up with a way, say, taking down a structure with one of his missiles burying Tantrum temporarily in debris and using that time to escape to better vantage point.

From that point I'm with SMOG in believing that Tantrum would be blinded with rage and run into any and every Onslaught device all day long.

Aside from the initial contact, if Onslaught is smart, which he is ( heard he's a hockey fan, in your face solo :p  ) he probably won't take much if any more hits from Tantrum who will be getting more and more pissed after every Onslaught attack. Lashing out in every direction while Onslaught watches, sipping his Quintesson Energon Tea like the smug bastard he is. If Transformers had horses he'd be riding one and you all know it! Onslaughts tech spec quote should be - "Hmmmmmmmmmmm yes..( sips on tea ) " Function - Smug Bastard.

Anyways I'm fairly grounded in the Onslaught camp at this point. Though for the record I'm not a huge 'Slaught fan. I'd actually like to see Tantrum beat him down and break his tea cups. I just don't think it's possible. Especially not on Cybertron.

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Onslaught. Anyone who can take down KICKBACK is a god :p 

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

On the contrary, anyone who takes down Kickback deserves to suffer the wrath of the gods.

Still, considering there's only one vote for Tantrum so far, i'll wait to see how badly he fares before deciding if a sympathy vote is in order.

11. SMOG

I pretty much agree with you here... the most tenuous moment for Onslaught will be the first moments of the match, especially if you discard the cartoon-Con flight gimmick.

However, considering his talents and mental advantage, I think he WILL have a plan, almost immediately upon the outset of the match (if not before, though I don't like allowing the contestants too much prep time). Imagine this... the match opens. Tantrum's not so bright, and has problems holding back. His first act will be to charge. While he covers that ground, Onslaught calmly transforms and fires off a warhead into the sky. Then he throws it in reverse, leading Tantrum after him... but only until both are in the precisely right spots.

BOOM!!!... one precisely-targeted warhead strikes the surrounding landscape, collapsing local architectural structures according to Onslaught's plan, in such a way that Tantrum is trapped in rubble, while Onslaught's retreat is amply covered by fallout and dustclouds (possibly by either dropping one of those elevated ramps on Tantrum, or by knocking one out from under him).

Onslaught casually strolls away, counting down in his mind. Tantrum furiously throws aside the chunks of debris, shakes off his stupor, and prepares to give chase, just as... BOOM!!!... BOOM!!!... warheads #2 and #3 come down in meticulous succession, further hammering Tantrum into submission.

By the time the bull pulls himself together and gathers up the parts of him that, ahem... fell off... Onslaught is on a rooftop a couple of miles away, taking careful aim with his Sonic rifle. Ever notice how long the barrel is on that thing? Looks like a long-range-capable weapon to me. :D 

This is just off the top of my head, but it's the type of thing I can see Onslaught pulling off... calculated, devastating attacks executed with measured timing... and Tantrum is just the type to blunder in every time.

zmog

12. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    You left out him sipping tea!

Also I considered something like this, but gave Tantrum his one shot to touch Onslaught :D 

After that Tantrum wouldn't see Onslaught again. Unless Onslaught leaves Tantrum barely functional and stands over him before finishing him off. Then that would be the last time Tantrum sees Onslaught. Or anything else for that matter.

Actually...that could be Onslaughts signature finishing move. He stands over his barely functioning victim..says "tea?..." Pours tea on their face plate then BLAM! Right between the eyes. Yeah I like that :D 

13. SMOG

He was sipping tea the whole time in my mind's eye. :) 

zmog

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    and lets not forget he drinks only Earl Grey :p 

15. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    Earl Grey is his secret favorite. Or Favourite so SMOG understands :p .

He feels that if the Decepticons know he enjoys something that humans created he'll lose respect and only drinks Earl Grey in his private quarters.

It's always Quintesson Energon Tea on the battlefield.

16. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    Excellent. Now we can be friends again :D 

17. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    Yeah, I like Onslaught here. Probably the fight would be closer than this vote will be. I don't know that tactics will make a large bit of difference here, but if there's any advantage to be had there it would be Onslaught's. I figure bots with beast modes have an advantage in close combat, but in this case its a bull vs a howitzer. Onslaughts lower endurance is troubling to me, though. He's the least durable of the leader bots left in the contest, and I don't think he'll fare well against any of them.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    very true if Megatron knew he would blow a gasket!

19. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

I have to say that Tantrum would take it. Simply because he is the polar opposite of Onslaught. Where Onslaught is a tactician who prefers to take his targets out at long range, Tantrum is a brawler who wants to get up close and personal with his opponent. One of the biggest advantages that Tantrum seems to possess here is that on a city planet like Cybertron there isn't much room for long range weaponry. Another distinct advantage Tantrum has is his electrical powers, with these firing at everything it would create a powerful electromagnetic field, and as Onslaught's tech specs reveal, his ultra powerful missiles would be rendered useless. With his long range capability impaired Onslaught would be forced to take things closer to the predacon and strait into his ballpark. However Onslaught could win if he could trap Tantrum, but he would still be forced to finish him off, also bringing him closer. Onslaught's much appraised plans could place Tantrum at a disadvantage, but Tantrum's endurance would give him plenty of chances to hit Onslaught, and with his 8 firepower, which would really wear the Combaticon down.

20. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

This one is a no-brainer. Onslaught.