Customs: Cy. Soundwave Kitbashes

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ravenxl7, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm planning on kitbashing a Cy. Soundwave, and i was wandering if anybody had anytips on how to repaint this mold, or any TF for that matter(pics would be a big help). Secondly, i was wandering if anybody knew if it would be possible to switch out Soundwave's head for another one? Finally, i was wandering if anybody had pics and instructions on how to make a mold and cast new parts and/or weapons for TF's(i desperatly need pics for this kind of stuff, lets just say that i'm a little slow, and need pics to learn how to do something like this). Thanks to anybody who posts any information that i need.
    :tocas :stickies  :D  :drunk  :lolol 

Attached Files:

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    What do tocas, stickies, drinking and laughing out loud have to do with painting Soundwave?

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    To be completely honest, apsolutely nothing. I just like to put those things at the end of every post i put up on this site. It makes me laugh. Now that's taken care of, does anybody have any of the info that i posted that i needed at the begining of this thread?
    :tocas :stickies  :D  :drunk  :lolol 

4. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Good god your blatent abuse of smilies is distracting.

And, since you have used the "Read the frikkin' stickies!" smilie I can assume you have read said smilie. Use it's wisdom and check out the Sticky at the top of this very forum.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As always Fretburn has the answer to all lifes problems.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This thread is going nowhere fast.

7. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

8. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

You can try using a lightening dye or also use acrylics and airbrush if possible

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm planning on using Krylon Fusion. I mainly need to know if there are any problems that can come up while kitbashing Cybertron Soundwave. As for the thread with all of the advice on it. I've read all of it, but i would still like some pictures of the casting of new parts and weapons process. I'm a little dee dee dee when it comes to following any instructions i read online.

10. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Well you asked for some tips so here goes:

1. use a dremel. absoulutly the most versatile tool ever. I shit you not you can use this on and for anything. Best 40.00 bucks I ever spent, and I got a reabte as well an extra bits kit. (Home depot always has a sale on thier tools, or a rebate.)

2. I don't like krylon for the main purpose, if you use it, you have to TOTALLY disassemble the bot, metal pins and all and wash the parts in dish soap water. Most if not all factory molds have a mold release. A grease that Krylon won't stick to. Krylon other wise can be great for say plastic lawn chairs and a turd. I use a testor electronic airbrush kit (40.00 USD) or you can get the 10.00 USD compressed air can airbrush kit. They both work wonders.

3. Have more than one of the bot you are planning to bash. In my haste to disassemble soundwave, his left leg wouldn't come off as easy as the right. (i still don't know why) and I ended up breaking the main peg eith the screw in it when I pryed the leg apart. so I had to buy another Soundwave to replace jus the leg.
    Or have some "oops" gook remover. It melts away glues and doesn't bother the plastic.

4. In disassembling the head you'll notice on soundwaves ball joint is on his head, not on the neck. also remember how you took it apart, it was a little complicated if I remember right. There is a little plastic lock on the ball to keep his head from falling off, probably why his head flopped around so easily. Clear nail polish coat can fix this. Unless you plan on replacing the head.

I don't know what else you are planning to do, but you only need ask if you need help. I have dissasembles 3 soundwaves (check the sig.)

5. I don't know if you plan on adding styrene parts or other parts, but another great tool is a rivet gun. 5.00 USD at sears hardware. Rivets can help with sliding joints, and joints that rotate 360 degrees.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks for all of the great advice. I was wondering exactly what you mean by disasembling the head, because if you can somehow tempararily remove the clear plastic in it, that would be awesome. The reason is that i would like to keep the clear parts on him the same color. I was also wandering that when you use the Testors stuff that you mentioned, how much dissasembling you needed to do, and if you needed to strip off the old paint or not. As for the making and molding of new parts and stuff for him, i was thinking of making a new weapon for him, but i'm not excatly sure what it will look like yet. I'm also planning on molding a copy of the Autobot Matrix that comes with 20th Prime for another project that is in the planning stages too(pics of the molding and casting process would be a huge help here). I really hope that more people post info on here, especially pics.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I hate to do this, but I believe you were wondering, not wandering. With an "o." :banghead: 

RavenXl7, at least one person has already posted a link to the Exhaustive Kitbasher's Resource at the top of this forum. I'll do it again. An awful lot of the information you need is in there. I don't know if you've recognized that or not, but here's the link again:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=87627

Also, a lot of the questions you're asking about disassembly will answer themselves if you start taking the toy apart. Although I don't own Cybertron Soundwave per se, I have noticed that, by taking a part a toy in order to get access to as many of the component parts as I'd like, I've found that certain parts were painted, as opposed to molded in that color. For example, Sideburn, Prowl & X-Brawn are all molded mostly in clear colors, surprisingly.

Also, www.tfmaster.com is another great reference.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've already read the whole entiere thread on kitbashing tips, but some of the steps in molding and casting new parts and weapons are a little unclear. Like i said before, i would really like to see some pics of that process. And the reason that i was curious about disasembling Soundwave, is so that i know of anything that can go wrong, or if i should know if there is anything tricky to doing it. Please, if anybody had any pictures of what i need to know, please post them on this thread, and not just re-iderate the fact that there is a thread that talks about all of this stuff. Thankyou for your time and effort.

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    If you're looking for in-progress pics, www.tfmaster.com has an entire section in their forum devoted to works in progress. There, you can find photos of a lot of partially disassembled Autobots & Decepticons. Also, sculpt-bot has a subforum over there, as well as a how-to on sculpting custom parts.

EDIT: If you search the works in progress page on tfmaster.com for "Soundblaster," you might find some disassembled Cyb. Soundwave pics. That's the best I can think of.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks, as i said earlier, and this is making fun of myself here, but i'm a little dee dee dee when it comes to folowing any online instructions, so any pic that i find will be a huge help. Again, thanks for your help.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I was working on my characters bio, and i had an idea, but i didn't know if it would ever be possible for this to happen in the Transformers world, so i figured i better ask you guys before going any further on his bio. I was wandering if it was possible for a TF to be frozen in solid energon? I don't think that it has ever been brought up before, but it's just an idea that i had to explain why this character had gone missing for so many years. Hope someone knows the answer to this.

17. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So how is this project coming?

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Like i said before, it's in the planning stages right now. I have chosen the colors i'm going to use on him, i just need to figure out what i'm going to do with the head, because i'd like to keep the clear plastic, but i don't know how to paint the rest of the head, without covering up the purple parts. I've also been working on a bio for him, but i'm not all that sure that it would go along with the Transformers storyline. Like i said earlier, i'm not sure if it would be possible for a TF to be, for a lack of better words, "frozen" in solid energon. If anybody has any knowledge of that being possible or not, please post it here, thanks.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Is it possible? Transformers are fictional (made-up), so anything is possible. Write it however you want.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks i'll do that. I asked one of my friends the same thing, and he went into this rant that energon is just an energy supply for the Transformers, nothing more. Well, he is a G1 junky, but for some odd reason he owns an Energon Prime, even though he "hates" it. I personally thought that it looked interesting, but not good enough to buy. I should have the bio posted in the next couple of days. I still don't know what to do about the head, and i still need to get Soundwave and the paint. I just remembered that i still need to get one for my collection too, he's been one of those hard to find Transformers where i live. That and i'm a little low on money lately. In the mean time i can plan my custom TF from scratch project. I'd like to do one from the Hearts of Steel comic book, like Lobo is, but i can't find one of the small grouping of TF's in it that i want to do. Because i'd like to do my favorite character, Soundwave, but he's not in the comic book. Got any ideas people?