CW Television News: Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by misterd, Feb 24, 2009.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Good News: Supernatural has been renewed for another season.

Bad News: Smallville, too.

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Good news is really good. Bad, not so good.

3. misterd

Smallville is the scab I just can't stop picking.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Smallville was looking up for like two episodes then they brought Lana back...

Yeah for Supernatural though.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Since they will wait till he's 40 to make him superman I don't care.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, didn't you know that they are wanting Superman to have the George Reeves look?
    old, square and dull. he's the superman that stood still while bullets were fired at him, but when they threw the gun, he ducked.

that's what CW's going for.

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

As much as I crap on Smallville thesedays, i'd rather sit througth yet another year of that then watch more of Heroes.

8. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Or you could watch neither, as they're both awful.

<- problem solver.

9. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just started watching Supernatural. So good to hear their good for another season. Don't care about Smallville, stopped watching half way through last season.

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I've enjoyed Smallville more this season than most of the previous ones. I'm really interested in what the current creative regime can do with another year.

Never watched Supernatural.

11. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

It'll get better. Lana is gone for good now.

12. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

For the post part, I've been very much enjoying the current season of Smallville. A few problems here and there, but it's been better than it had been in a while.

But seriously? Another season? They brought in DOOMSDAY! Who's left for him to fight?

13. misterd

True, but that last Lana arc destroyed an awful lot of the good will built up the rest of the season.

If it were me, I would take the show on the road. In most recent tellings of Superman's origins, he spends some time wandering the Earth doing good deeds before he settles down in Metropolis and puts on a cape. Strip the show down, leave Jimmy, Lois, and *gasp* even Chloe. Send him off on a walkabout. Let him visit Gotham and Star City. Show him threats that have nothing to do with Luthor or Krypton. Then bring him home at the end, ready to don the tights.

14. misterd

For those not watching Supernatural, I strongly suggest putting the first 3 seasons on your NetFlix list. It takes some time in the first season to catch on, putting out effective if formulaic Monster-Of-The-Week tales, with a (I think) weak "Yellow Eyed Demon" story arc in the background. However, the leads are charismatic enough to carry the show, and the writing and directing sharp enough to deliver a healthy mix of scares and laughs (and the most kick ass soundtrack for a TV show that I can recall).

Thankfully the series begins to expand its mythology by the end of S1. The Yellow Eyed Demon story is effectively wrapped up in S2 (or was it S3?) and serves as a springboard to much larger ideas.

And while the show has an effective arc and built a solid supporting cast, it is rarely bogged down by its continuity. The show remains an (alternately) scary, exciting, and hysterically funny tale of two brothers traveling the US in a 67 Chevy, kicking demon ass.

15. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Call me crazy, but I stopped watching Supernatural after the Winchesters
    killed Azazel/The Yellow Eyed Demon and got their father out of hell
    . Season two was not exactly a happy walk in the park for me (I got a review around here somehwere explaining that), I felt it deviated too much from the Season One's set up (which I enjoyed greatly) and focused too much on certain subplots that didn't go anywhere until the finale. And Sam's character was just grinding my nerves/tolerance to a fine dust.

Not to mention when they announced they were gonna put those chicks (Bella and Ruby) in season three, I automatically thought "Mary Sues = Death Sentence" for Supernatural and just backed away from it. My brain pretty much decided that what I desired to see was fullfilled in season two and I was not gonna get anymore enjoyment out of this series (I.E., lost interest). I kept up with enough to solve the mystery surrounding Mary's death (My suspicions were Confirmed) and find out if Dean
    got out of hell and
    was giving people the "silent treatment" about it. Damn Shame they got rid of Ellen and Jo Harvelle though.

*Places stick on back in closet*