cutthroat collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ryan.j, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

In short, how low would you stoop to secure your current flavour of the month?

Personally i'd draw the line at keeping schtum about a particularly tempting ebay auction, or sliding the ICTs behind a stack of chromia for safe keeping, but some of you plastic crackheads must have stooped far lower than that on the trail of your toys...

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Id hide a toy or ask my brother who works at Wal-mart to hide one for me

3. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    No need.

I have friends who find stuff for me when I can't.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I used to hide shit in the home & garden sections. I once nabbed a toy out of someone else's shopping cart at Wal-mart, but that's as far as I ever went. I calmed down a lot after watching Hot Wheel collectors try to steal from our Toys for Tots bin when I worked for KB Toys.

5. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I can honestly say I've never done anything shady to get my toys.

6. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    I tend to have enough money on me so that I dont have to. I have however seen numerous cases of toys in completely different parts of the store at Toys R Us

7. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I actually don't understand the hiding stuff all that much, but that's just me. If you want it enough to hide it or stash then why don't you just buy it?

I hid something twice. Once was because I forgot my wallet (went back the next day and got what I hid), and the other was me hiding RoTF Jetfire for a friend, and that was only because it was at the over priced K-Mart ($50 there for Leaders while Target and Walmart were $35), so I figured I'd let him go get it if he couldn't wait for one of the normal priced stores to get more in.

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    You kind of answer your question all in the same post.

9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've not done anything shady. I guess the worst I get would be... breaking down and paying BBTS prices. I like BBTS for more specialty type stuff but I normally wouldn't go to them for standard retail items.

I won't go to Ebay though.

10. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I used to hide stuff sometimes, but that's about it. And I wouldn't even do that anymore. I mean, this is all mass produced stuff and if I miss it now big deal, I can just get one on ebay later. Or from someone on the boards here. Plus I've been perpetually too broke to really afford anything for the last few years so it's not like I could buy stuff anyway.

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The worst I ever did was this one time at a Target. I was out looking for ROTF Wave 4 deluxes. I got there at about the same time as some 9-year old. I heard him say to his mom that he really wanted Jolt (the only one there). I talked to him for about 20 seconds, picked up one of the two Blazemasters and the only Ice Cream twin there. His eyes went wide and he volunteered to let me have Jolt if he could have the twins. I refused.

I wish I took him up on it, as it was nearly 5 weeks later that I finally saw another Jolt.

12. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I haven't done anything shady nor will I do anything shady in the future. These are mass produced toys we are talking about here. If I can't get it know, I'll get it sometime later down the road.

13. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Forgetting my wallet was a fluke thing, but I guess if everyone who is hiding toys in stores is forgetting theirs too, then yeah, I guess I did.

14. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    Never hidden toys. I will watch ebay for weeks hoping to snag something that others missed, but that's a hobby in an of itself. I figure if I miss something I can always grab it later, albeit at a higher price.

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    People have different reasons for hiding. But people sometimes don't have money on them, such as our teenage collectors. Sometimes People are putting them away for fellow collectors. I don't hide because I thinks it's weird. But If someone asked me to, till they got to the store, I would. Sometimes I'm looking for figures and I find something that I'm looking for that someone hid. That's like finding buried treasure. Arrrghh!

16. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I hear ya. Sometimes I forget that children are into toys too. I'm 31, but I'm basically a 14 year old who collects a pay check every other week.

The hiding really does feel weird. I felt like I was committing a federal crime, constantly looking over my shoulder, and walking around looking all shady.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just recently I went to TRU looking for the Insecticons and they were out, but they had Perceptor so I knew the Insecticons were around at one point. Anyways, I went back to these boards and posted that he was there but the insecticons were not in the state sightings thread. Another poster commented back saying at that very TRU he had 2 hidden that I was welcome to. So, I went back and got them.

Apparently they were hidden for him by another collector, but he decided he didn't want them but didn't take them out of hiding. This is the kind of problem though with hiding stuff. I understand hiding something if you don't have the money but will come back THAT day to pick it up, but honestly, there are plenty of collectors that don't post on these threads or don't constantly communicate with one another. There is just too many negatives to it for the sole reason of beating scalpers to the punch. Everything worked out, but only because I had the inkling to post about it. There was ultimately no harm done but I do wonder about other times I missed out by fans "watching out" for eachother.

18. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    This is another reason I dislike hiding. You don't give the next generation of collectors a chance to get a hot cool new figure when you hide. Say for example you hid the Ice Cream Twins. Think how geeked you would be to be a 9 year old with that in your possesion. But the poor kid didn't get them because a collector hid all three of them for other dudes. Board members aren't the only ones who collect Transformers.

19. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I don't think I've ever done anything shady to another collector or other shoppers... just that I've spent way too much time, gas, and money chasing the plastic crack that all coulda/shoulda/woulda been spent on much nobler things...?

Oh, I have opened a box on a skid once or twice to get new TFs that they've wheeled out but left in boxes on a skid. That always feels shady, even though logically there isn't anything wrong with it...

20. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I once hid an Animated Ultra Magnus behind other Leaders during the Xmas season, and had my bro get it for me as a present.