Scratch Builds: Customs Scale Reference 101 - Part Ten - 1/48 Scale Aircraft

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Wikkid, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Scales are based on a replicas size in relation to its real world counterpart. This tutorial is not meant to be taken as an exact guide to what anyone can or should build; it is only meant to give a rough outline on scale in relation to main line figures. My hope for this body of work is to offer a helpful frame of reference for most customizers looking to work with model kits in creating new Transformers figures.

1/48 Scale Aircraft (Large)

The B1 Lancer is a HUGE plane, and I don’t expect anyone to build one but in this tutorial. Its inclusion is to demonstrate what class of figure would work for things such as a B-52, Concorde, Blackbird, or other large commercial airliners while sticking to the scale established by the Masterpiece Seekers. In this case, only supreme class figures would even be close to working such as Armada Unicron, Cybertron Primus or even Energon Omega Supreme. Masterpiece Optimus isn't even in the ballpark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1/48 Scale Aircraft (Average)

The best I can guess is that the Masterpiece Seekers are in a 1/48 scale, or at least can be worked with in that scale. As shown in the images, the Falcon is a small jet in comparison to the F-15 Eagle while the F-14 Tomcat is HUGE. I found the GR4 Panavia Tornado is almost an exact match and could be re-shelled directly to the mold. There are ways to make all these aircraft work using the parts of the Seeker, but that is up to the ingenuity of the customizer.

Also shown is the 1/48 scale Tornado in relation to a 1/24 Alternators figure. This, too, is a possibility for parts. The image following shows how much wider the Viper mold would be in relation to the aircrafts underside. A ‘07 movie Blackout is unlikely to work without some serious brain farts of wisdom.

The final image is a somewhat successful 1/48 scale Blackhawk re-shell over the Alternators Skids figure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]