Customs: Customs on ebay question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Aug 6, 2011.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey all, so here's a discussion I'm in need of some advice in. I posted my Battle Blade BB and Sidearm Sideswipe on ebay, and neither did well at all. Bumblebee only did about HALF of what I really wanted, and Sideswipe has done nothing, though still has a full day left. So here's the thing. I was wondering if you guys had any idea as to if I've done something wrong with my listings, or if anyone has any tips. Seeing how I've lost my job (not unlike a few others, I'm sure) I'm trying to keep myself afloat with custom work, and selling off the pieces of my collection I no longer have room for, or want. So I guess what I'm asking for is some help to get started in seriously selling customs on ebay :) . I had posted Sideswipe over on tfans.com, and one person said that because I had a buy it now and a reserve on it discourages potential buyers, is this true?? Thanks for any help or tips guys!! OP83

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Making money from customs is difficult. Most customisers only just about break even. If I were you in the harsh climate of losing your job make money some by some other means. I'm in no way discouraging you just helpful advice. In the mean time look at finished auctions of some that have sold well and see what stands out on them, such as -

Lots of pictures from many angles.
    A lower start price, no reserve and if possible free shipping.
    Try to set up a HTML auction?

Just a couple of tips that attract customers. And lastly try to make a custom that's not been done before and stand out of the ones that are more common!

Hope this may help you and your job situation improves!

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Deluxe class Movie repaints/minor mods are a dime a dozen. The only time something like that will generate serious interest is under the following 3 circumstances: (1) if it's a toy that hasn't been officially released yet, (2) the toy itself is very hard to find, or (3) you're an established customizer (think frenzy_rumble, encline, Jin Saotome).

If you want to make some serious money, you need to take on a bigger project. Combiners, Masterpiece repaints, Movie leaders with accessory and LED add-ons, city/fortress bots, styrene/scratch, etc.

Regarding eBay listings, it's better to not list a reserve price as that will scare off potential bidders. Also, never post a BIN. Almost all of the listings that I've seen from professionals don't feature a BIN and the bids usually start as low as 1 cent.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, really? :(  crud, I did everything I want supposed to, lol. Thanks guys!

5. nellie131

News Credits:
    That's cool we only learn from mistakes! The best advice I had was to see what makes the popular auctions stand out. Take from those what you need.

Also you may find that the more popular your customs get the higher the price might get in time. It's not a case of overnight success.

Oh and keep posting up pics in the forums of your stuff :) 

6. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still have not figured out anything with auctions other than show people what you have to offer, start low, and do what people want... I have spent 40 hours on something and it sold for $250...or I have spent a couple of days on something that went for much higher... the devil is in the details..

Plus, artists that do "demand" higher prices have spent A LOT of time working to get there. Just thinking outside of the box helps.

Ohh, and make it as though it is something YOU want on YOUR shelf...chances are if you love it so will others.

7. nellie131

News Credits:
    Encline those are true words of wisdom!

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FRAGGIN DEVIL!!!!!!! lol, and I would never stop posting my stuff on the boards :) .

I hear ya E. Thing is that I spent a lot of time on that BBBB, and I' would hate to lose money on it :( . Especially right now :/.

9. Satomiblood

People need to drop the mentality that their customs are automatically going to generate a lot of money. A lot of custom listings literally go unnoticed or with very little interest. Like I said earlier, movie repaints are a dime a dozen right now, and you're not likely to build a following unless you provide the masses with something different. As encline said, thinking outside the box really helps.

I sort of dislike the time of year when live action movie toys get released. You see so many movie-related projects that kind of bleed into each other and they lead to the misconception that anyone can make some serious bank on a simple repaint. That may have worked in 2007, but the market has gotten numb to it and only bites when there's something interesting to be had.

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, I wasnt expecting a lot out of out, just more than I had put into it, sorry if I typed it out sounding contrary, lol. But, I'll put him and sideswipe back up, forget the reserves and BiN's, and go from tgere, :) . I appreciate all ther tips everyone, thanks!

11. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not much to add outside what's been said... other than think of customs as works of art.

Why? Because sometimes there's some damn good art done out there... but it's not by a known figure, so the prices are much lower. Now, if it's made by any established artist, then the price will be higher.

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awesome comparison.. I hadn't thought of it that way.

13. Satomiblood

Yep, a lot of customs make money based on the name of the artist they're attached to. Name association is another major part of it.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm loving the heapload of advice here from artists regularly selling on eBay.

15. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i was just thinking the other day how it could be well worth it to have a spot for the commission customizers, and other artist to have a place to sort of talk shop like this.

iim also enjoying the talk as i have been considering making a few to go on the ebay, but just like OP1983, i have my concerns about it due to what seems almost like an oversaturation of customs on there and how do you stand out among so many

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hope and praying.. a llooooooooooooooot of praying.. Or.. that's what I've been doing.. oh, and big bold letters..

17. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's supply and demand for the most part, and those who demand the highest prices are experts in their craft. That latest piece from an expert artist represents years of deliberate practice and experience. Something far more valuable than the parts/paint/labor that went into the individual piece. Their name means quality, from concept, engineering and execution. Not that the unknown/emerging artist's work lacks quality, but not as many people know that...hence less demand.

With any business a lot of what you do in the beginning doesn't make a profit, and if you're starting a customizing business, that's no different.

Differentiate yourself by being creative. That might be your greatest asset at this point, while you develop your skill set, and your market. Don't emulate, imitate or duplicate. Do something no one else has done before. If there's only one, demand for yours will be as high as possible. If you're doing another movie figure with realistic details...well...you're already in a saturated market and setting yourself apart is that much more difficult.

As for ebay:
    Take good photos, post 8-10.
    Start at .99, no BIN, no reserve
    Free/Cheap shipping
    End on a sunday

18. Satomiblood

19. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    This is great advice for everyone, guys (including myself). I have a couple of planned auctions for ebay (one nearly finished, another I'm finishing the build on, then just need to paint the new parts I built, and I also have plans to do a possible Galvatron like the one you've seen from me lately--just don't have the G1 cannon for it).

This will definitely help me out though whenever I do put some customs up there. Thanks!

(and holy **** at the asking price and BIN on that link.......maybe if it were an entire combiner or something, but for that, I just don't see anyone coughing up that kinda dough)

20. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ^but its the onlyone on ebay!!!!

sorry i had too.

sometimes that is kinda laughable granted it looks like a decent repaint but i dont think its a 700, but maybe to him that is what its worth or it would take for him to take it off of "HIS" display shelf.

another thing to consider here is perception or precieved value of their works.

i would like to put the blaster i am working on up for sale on ebay, but i dont think it would get what i would value it at (granted i dont think its worth $400 starting bid) but it also goes back to I'm not a known builder either.

So from what i have been reading you start off small with high quility repaints, and let your work speak for itself. That said you may not want to start off painting figures that are super expensive. You are very talented, as are a lot of people on this site. It just seems to be the transition between making customs and selling them is not immediate and takes time to develope your style and what others expect from your works.

like if i were to want a custom with the cartoon style painting i would keep an eye out for stuff by frogDNA

i would hope for my style notation to eventually be he makes customs that look like a toy company should have made them. (i dont like the realistic stuff in my collection although i have a great respect for it)

you need to determine what your goal and aspirationis are for your style

sorry for the rant