Customs: CUSTOMS - New to it all, seeking advice from those in the know...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Cheap Recolour, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Cheap Recolour

Cheap Recolour New Member

Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster.

Just recently got my hands on the Cybertronian Mode Animated Prime, hate the lips, now working on a faceplate. Should be a pretty simple matter of sculpting clean, smooth lines. I'm using Kneadite Blue/Yellow epoxy "Green Stuff". The problem will come with paints, I'm considering simple GW metallics, chainmail pribably, for the metal, hawk turquoise for the facial areas possibly damaged or chipped in the sculpting process. Any suggestions for this?

Also, whilst working on this, I thought up a possible easier fix - straight head-swap, between 'Tron Mode, and Earth mode in Two Pack set - pretty sure that'll work, any thoughts? Though, I truly hate the psuedo tribal "Battle Damage". What paints do people recommend for the job, what prep work necessary?

Finally, I'd have a lot of parts left over from the two pack, which gave me a great idea for a much more expansive custom job. Don't want to reveal what yet, but I imagine it'll be pretty awesome if done right. In any case, what I'm basically looking for is a "mentor" of sorts, orat the very least a handy dandy guide. This is my first attempt at Transformers Modding, and I'd like to be well prepared.

Any thoughts on the tools, paints, pitfalls, prep-work, ideal brands etc. etc would be a fantastic boon. Even better if you're UK based so I've no worries about the things you recommend being rare, or import only from the US, I've had that happen before...

In any case, thanks in advance, hope I can gain some insight, I await your reply. :) 

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Have you perused our Tutorials section?

3. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

make sure you clean the figure in hot soapy water with a small brush of sorts(possibly an unused toothbrush)

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Whoa..you really think ahead!! The tutorials section will answer most of what your asking, but as far as the colors, I like the GW Mithral Silver and Bolt Gunmetal for the metallic areas, but I would lay down a base coat of Krylon Fusion before any detail work. A lot of the Radicons swear by it (I know I do)

Good luck, and welcome aboard, bro!