Customs: customizing--why do you do it?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Sep 5, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I just wanted to take a quick poll to see why we're all here. I certainly wonder if it wasn't for online sites like this and transtopia, would we be so into our little sub-niche of transformersdom. I certainly get excited when I finish something to put it up on display to hear what others think. if it wasn't for these, I probably would've only done a fraction of what I have.

I think the first place I ever went was transtopia and was astounded by what I saw. my first custom was armada laserbeak, because I really, REALLY loved the g1 cassettes, and thought the videocamera was neat, just in garish colors. so I redid him in g1 colors, and still think he looks pretty good.

but that's part of it--SO MANY of our repaints/kitbashes are taking all of these current figures, and making them look like characters of old. is it because we don't care about the current characterization, and want to give our old friends the shiny new bodies and articulation they deserve? I think that's a good part of why I do it.

on the flip side, I give tons of credit for people who think outside of the box and do fan characters and certain ones that never got a figure to begin with. I figure this topic might get people talking about something that we usually don't, so how about it?

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I used to do Gundams it was all about making mine better than my cousins, we were very competitive back then. Now with Transformers and A.C. my goals vary from figure to figure but most of the time just I want my figures to look as realistic as they can possibly become so when I display them I can feel that the figure looks as good as I can make it. And now with the internet and this and other wonderful sites we can display our beauties for all to see.

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I do it for the chicks.

4. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

most of the figures I customize are more just what I consider the finishing steps that HasTak left off... mainly just redoing details to improve the figures(Movie Ironhides stacks, matching alt interiors to real counterparts, etc). So for me I would do it whether there were sites like this or not, but it certainly helps to have people to bounce ideas off of, and a place to find tips for cool ideas. (Alt prowls leg mod, barricade lights, etc).

:thumb 

now as for the repaint of the KO Defensor I have planned that's all the internet's fault. lol.

5. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

I like for one like taking stuff apart and seeing how it works then putting it back together. I spent 4 years taking my 72 Monte Carlo apart down to the last bolt, then rebuilding it from the floor up and when that was finished I found that it left a void within me. Tearing down Transformers and repainting/repairing them fills that void and its much cheaper. Plus I needed a Classics Thundercracker so those skills proved to be handy.

6. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

I bash for me, not for the showing on sites. My goal: to recreate all G1 season 1, most season 2 and TFTM characters.

Though it's also about the challange of changing the figure yet not interfering with the transformation. For example, when making my custom Classics Magnus, I had to figure out how to create the chest plate and stacks and make sure they worked into the transformation without hindering it.

Anyway, I would continue bashing even if I could never show them on these sites. (heck, I only got a digital camera last Christmas and I've been bashing for 5+ years)

7. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

What little that I have done has all been an attempt to make the figures more like their G1 counterparts. That includes primarily repaints, minor kitbashes, and the addition of reprolabels or homemade stickers. I'm completely into collecting for the nostalgia value, and if a figure doesn't look like I remember him being as a kid, then I try to fix that if possible (I do the same thing with G.I. Joes).

8. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    To sate my inner 12 year old nerdself.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Because there was no ALT or Sigma 6 Razerwire.

10. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Artistic outlet and expression.

11. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because I want stuff that's never going to be released. Like Classics Reflector, Movie Ultra Magnus, and a silver Megatron.

12. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Nightflame like paint. Nightflame like Transformers. *SMASHES SENTENCES TOGETHER*

Seriously, that's all the driving force I need. I enjoy painting things. And Transformers are awesome.

If I had a LOT more time I'd put some effort into scratchbuilding, but I barely have the time to do the very, very few things I do. So, yeah, painting it is.

13. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

HA HA HA

14. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess I do it for the love of it.....

I mean, when I was a kid, I did model cars all the time....and when I discovered Alts, it brought back all those memories and such....

I like to tinker with stuff, find out what makes it/how it works....I'm a Mechanic by trade, so I guess that plays into it also...I like to work with my hands....

The first site I stumbled across was Tfans....I saw Lobo's Alt Soundwave Reshell...and I fell in love at that point....see, I have always liked cars, and robots, so Alternators was it for me....."The Cats Meow" so to say....

If there wasnt a site to display my customs, would I still do it?....I'm sure I would, I'm always thinking of something new to try and do, but I'm glad that there are site's like TFW to come too....I have got a lot of ideas from other bashers/customizers here.....you all :rock 

Along with that, I just like to do new stuff....make a new character, or an homage to an old one....its cool to see what can be even if Hasbro/Takara or whoever doesnt make it so....plus, I love looking at new customs and bashes...to me its ART...and with enough parts, and imagination....anything is possible.

15. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    In the end, personal satisfaction. It is a form of art, I suppose. I am no longer able to preform my last art form so I have taken this one up.

16. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    movie accuracy, and overall hawtness!

iDD

17. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Me too..... not! I do it cause its fun

18. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If you are still using "not!" then clearly you have all of the tools to woo a woman. :ev: 

19. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally believe that most US Americans...... sorry off topic.

I really enjoy taking apart my toys to see how they work.
    The painting is good justification for that.
    I also like making my own classics and movie accurate bots.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Incomplete Classics seeker roster. 'Nuff said.