Non-TF: Customized King J-Der

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Naztok, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Naztok

Naztok will work for gold chrome

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hello peoples
    Look at your King J-der
    Now look at mine
    Now back at your King J-der
    Now BACK at mine
    Sadly, your isn't mine, but if you followed the instructions I'll be posting here over the course of the next few days, yours could be kicking Planet Eaters almost as good as mine.
    Look down; that's a keyboard.
    Look up; that's your monitor.
    I'm on a computer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oooooooo, gaogaigar stuff, I love that cartoon. Looks good man. waiting more pictures :thumb 

3. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A slight miscalculation has set things back about a day. This shouldn't take too long too fix. It's only a matter of sticking two pieces together. If you haven't guessed, this is my first time performing this level of customizing.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Fucking. Awesome.

King J-der is on my eventual to get list, I wish he came like this.

5. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had no prior experience with customizing (the closest being running a metal pin through goldran's ear to replace a broken peg).
    Judging by the end result, though, I think I did a pretty good job.
    I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves once I get them up.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  6. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

man, nobody knows how HUGE this figure is, you should do some scale comparison shots.

nice work adding some articulation

7. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    ooo, this could be awesome, this could be really REALLY awesome. Moar pics please!!!

8. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Updates are divine

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Articulation was the one thing he needed...bravo! Soldato-J would be proud!

10. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

This probably isn't worth a tutorial since almost no-one owns this figure. I remember when I had him the lack of leg articulation really turned me off, this is definitely a worthwhile custom. Now that I customize, I'd really like to have it again to play around with, but I had to call a small store in Cali to get him the first time and that was 5 years ago...

11. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

lol @ old spice reference

12. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Step 1!

Okay, my first time making a tuturoial...
    Good thing I gave myself sometime to think
    I might suggest waiting for all the steps to be posted before trying this out for yourself.
    First of all, I'll make it clear where I got the parts for King J-der's replacement legs.
    [​IMG]
    Multi tasking lawl. Now besides the obvious size comparison, you might notice they now share the same thigh and knee pieces. Basically I'm explaining how I took the entire crotch section of a spare Unicron I found at a garage sale without any of his accesories and grafted it into King J-Der
    [​IMG]
    You'll have to shave off alot of Unicron's sculpted detail to make room for when you attach King J-der's lower legs.
    [​IMG]
    The one on the bottom looks larger because it was closer to the camera.
    Mainly, you'll need to chop off that purple protruding bit on Unicron's knee-cap thing, and if you want to make sure you have room, you might also want to chop off the peg that let's Unicron's lower leg swivel.
    From the waist portion of Unicron, you should chop off the bits on the side where the little side flaps attatch too.

Now I'll leave off for a bit so I can be told where I might need to go into more detail or take better pictures.

13. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Step 2!

With no questions being brought up, I assume I can go ahead as planned.
    [​IMG]
    Now's as good a time as any to explain you'll eventually want to attatch the central bit of King J-ders lower front armor to the front of Unicron's crotch. You'll still be able to unscrew that Unicron portion if you ever want to take what'll become King J-der's new legs off.
    Also you may notice that hole and notch I cut in the back of Unicron's waist piece. That's probably my proudest little modification I made and I'll explain it in more detail later as there's a specific way to measure the point where you'll drill that hole.
    [​IMG]
    As with the bit of King J-der's armor I attatched to Unicron's crotch, I used MIghty Putty to create a block on the end of Unicron's knee. Those holes you see are from the black pice of plastic which normally attatched King J-der's lower legs to his thighs. I saved that so I have a piece that screws into King J-der's lower legs in case I ever want to take him apart again and fix something.

An important thing to note is when you get to forming that mighty putty block on the end of Unicron's knees, you'll want to make sure that King J-der's lower legs will line up with each other or he might look a little wonky in vehicle mode with a huge split running down the ship.

If you want me to go into more detail, feel free to ask. I realize I'm probably only giving directions a few poeple could follow, and the likeliness of someone with both a King J-der and Unicron they're willing to attempt to mod actually finding this is kinda slim, which is why I'm stretching this out to increase the odds of people finding this.
    If you're one of those poeple who wants to, or plans to use these directions, I'd love to hear what you think.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  14. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes they are!

15. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Step 3!

No one noticed I'm a little behind schedule on this!
    Of course now that I mentioned I'm behind schedule they'll notice now!
    Or maybe they won't notice me mentioning that they didn't notice I'm behind schedule!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Now I'll mention the modifications I had to make to King J-der's body.
    Unfortunately, there are some important screws hiding behind that stripe sticker of what I like to think's where the generating armor generates from. If you're really good at this, you should be able to preserve that sticker, but it's hidden in robot mode so I don't mind all that much.
    [​IMG]
    Once you've unscrewed everything, you'll get these two black pieces, and here's where things get a little tricky.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This is how I cut it so that in vehicle mode, the thigh portion's still covered, but it folds up nicely with that curved bit left behind.
    [​IMG]
    The portion that you sever will be what originally had the black block that screwed into King J-der's lower leg. I can't bring myself to throw away that piece of King J-der's thigh I ended up not using. While cutting it, the plastic was so strong it almost feels like a waste.
    This one ended up with more pictures than usual, so I'll leave off again for now. I'll probably be able to wrap this up with one more step.

16. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Step 4!

Well, time to wrap this up.
    [​IMG]
    So that hole and notch are supposed to fit around this screw pipe bit keeping in line with that whole I'm still able to take it apart and make adjustments bit.
    Judge where you need to drill that hole by how well the flap closes up in J-Ark mode.
    Now if I'm not mistaken, all that's left is to attach the rest of King J-der's waist armor so that it can move. Here's how I did it, but if you can think of a better way, feel free to do that instead.
    That sorta applies to this whole tutorial don't it?
    It kinda applies to all tutorials also don't it?
    [​IMG]
    Here I Mighty Puttyed two bits of screw-pipe to the where I wanted the armor to be able to swing.
    [​IMG]
    I decided I might aswell make the most of my scrapped Unicron. So you can see here where I took the screw-pipe from his lower leg bits here. One of the pipes is smaller than the other, and you'll need to make sure they're both the same diameter or else one of the pieces won't make contact with the surface you're trying to connect it to. If you take the screw-pipes from Unicron's leg like I did, you'll need to cut the one with the larger diameter and use one half to stick the smaller screw-pipe in.
    [​IMG]
    Finally the last bit I feel to say is to make sure when you attatch the screw-pipes to King J-der, make sure it won't get smacked when you fold up his upper body.
    That about wraps it up. Of course you'll want to paint it as you feel's right, but hopefully, following these steps'll add some more play value and posing options to your King J-Der.

17. adconx2

adconx2 Cybertron D-Block

Ebay:
    Just youtube this King J-Der. Epic intro, This is one bada$$ dude!!

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hells yeah.

19. Naztok

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another Picture

[​IMG]
    Here's another picture with King J-der next to Brave Gokin Star Gaogaigar
    I figure a pic of him all put together is better than leaving off with him still in pieces
    I can dig the scale between Brave Gokin GGG and Dx King J-der, cuz King J-der looks bigger by comparison, and I like that.

20. Destructicon 1

Destructicon 1 Original Gestalt

Very nice! I just found out about gaogaigar a few months ago. I've been thinking about using the crane,fire truck twins and mixer,dumptruck twins in a devastator project. King J-Der is def my favorite from the show. Does he still have his alt mode?