Customer Idiocy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trenner Dios, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Hello. My job mostly consists of entering mail orders into our computer system, and also answering customer service emails. This of course means that I get to read some of the most incompetent, ignorant, irrational, and incoherent emails ever conceived by a bipedal creature.

Here is an example of an email I have received:

do you sell dog stuff

That was it. No capitalization or punctuation or any other words. That was the exact email, word for word. People don't even search our website for what they are looking for. They don't check the customer service section of the website for any answers. They also don't click on the pictures or descriptions of items, then email us and complain that they can't add the item to their cart. (JUST CLICK ON IT, THE INTERNET IS MADE ENTIRELY OF CLICKING!!!)

Sometimes it takes great patience and willpower to no write a response that actually details what I think of the person and their inability to function properly. I don't know how I do it.

Another example; this one is not word for word, just a general idea of an email I see often:

i sent in a mail order on 7/11 and was jsut wondering if you receved it

Well, seeing as it was a mail order, and not a web order, I highly doubt your email address is in our system. And seeing as you didn't provide ANY FUCKING USEFUL INFORMATION in your email regarding your order, I am not going to be able to locate it. Seriously, all I need is your last name and zipcode!! Is that soooo hard????

Then of course people email and complain that we aren't hacker safe or that we gave a company their credit card info without their permission. Of course, what really happened is that they signed up for a cash back reward on their next order from a company many websites deal with called Reservation Rewards. They didn't read any of the supplied information and just saw "FREE MONEY" and kept clicking. I used to feel bad because I thought it was sort of underhanded. Then I ordered my TF tickets on Movietickets.com and the exact same offer popped up from RR. I realized just how obvious it is that it is something you are signing up for and must cancel within 30 days if you don't want to be charged $10 a month. There's no fine print, just clear details on how the website works and that you are agreeing to be charged once the 30 day free period is up.

I could go on and on and on. And maybe I will.

2. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    90% of the people who come to buy a car at my store are idiots with no fucking clue. I'll have examples tomorrow.

3. Xplosion

Xplosion Banned

im dead serious about what i am about to say, this is just a percausion so you dont think tis sarcasm

the last week ive had telemarketers call me like 4 times a day and b4 the guy gets on the phone they put me on hold liek its a machine when i pick up and its goes please hold a service rep with a presentation will eb on the phone shortly cue elevator music, i just hang up or a wait for the guyto get on the phone and tell hi mto shove the product up his @$$ lol.

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm fairly sure that my customers lose about 45 IQ points as they approach my theatre. This leaves some of them able to function at an acceptable level, but others...wow. This also explains why 'Larry the Cable Guy' did so well at my location.

-Tony!

5. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I actually had one that was a machine once. I said press one for more info. I didn't do anything and waited to see what it would do next. a few seconds later it repeated "press one now". I waited a few more seconds. It said "I don't understand" and hung up.

6. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I have the joys of working in a University, with people that are..well, I had assumed, educated. Wise scholars that are supposed to lead our young and cherished into the future of business etc.

I was wrong.

From every day occurances of people not even able to do the slightest practices, like putting their sections account number on a work order, or, for that matter, filling it out at all, let alone correctly, to those who call to us to complain that a job is missing, when it's usually right behind them in the delivery section where stuff's sent to every day. Or the ever present "I'm looking for this job I had wanted printed--" 'Did you send it in? Because I don't recall this job." "Well, I'm pretty sure I did," that type of stuff, and then over to people unable to grasp the concept of the page set up..They want a poster they made printed..Great, fine..Did you set it to size..All one must do is go to page set up, put it at the size you want, and then build the file as you will..But of course not..So then I have to. And then we need to wait for them to come proof it before we print, and of course the always last minute change..Or better still, we rush to get a job done, only to have them later find a typo mistake (on their part usually) and need us to redo it even quicker, or, the ever popular " I need 250 of these in 45mins" only to either not show up until 3 days later for pick up, OR they call up an hour later and go--"Oh, i need another 10"

I could rant on this for hours, but we all know the story.

7. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I definitely feel your pain there. I work at a university out here in Jersey and it seems that once the faculty here become tenured, they somehow revert to children. "Gimme, gimme, gimme! I'm the professor, so gimme!" It's astounding that some of these people are molding the next generation. Ugh.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I have many more experiences with stupid employees when I am the customer than vice versa, but here are a couple from my retail days.

At Best Buy I had an elderly man who wanted to buy a DVD player that was made in the USA. I politely told him he wasn't very likely to find that, but helped him anyway. We proceeded to check the manufacturing location on every single DVD player we sold. Then he got all huffy and told me was going to go to Circuit City and buy a Zenith because Zenith was an American company. Now, I should mention here that I always tried to go the extra mile with customers and help them, but if they were continually rude to me after a while I'd start treating them the same way. So I told him (truthfully, I would never lie, even when I was pissed) that wouldn't work either, as Zenith was sold to LG in 1995 and was now a Korean company. That made him REALLY pissed. I wish I could have followed him over to Circuit City and watched him check the Zenith boxes over there to discover they weren't made in the US either.

I once had a guy buy a 32" TV, refuse to pay for delivery, and then insist that I help him stuff it into his Mazda Miata. It took about a half hour, but we actually managed it, though I wouldn't be particularly surprised if he wrecked his car on the way home. The interior of a Miata isn't a whole hell of a lot bigger than a 32" tv by itself, let alone with a driver and seats in it.

I will think of more later I'm sure.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    If there's one thing that absolutely burns me up, it's customer ignorance.

I was stood behind a lady in a drycleaners (like the little ones in plazas) for 45 minutes becuase the young lady working there had a slight accent, (but otherwise spoke perfect english) while the fat lady in front of me was like: "What? What!? Do-any-english-speaking-people-work-here?" and on and on until the manager came out (he doesn't have an accent) and told the fat lady off and she stormed out of the cleaners. Needless to say all fifteen people felt sorry for her. (the young lady, not the fat one.)

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Here's one. I wasn't an employee, just the person behind this person in line.

A couple of years ago I was grocery shopping with my family at Wal-Mart. The woman in front of us in line was using the envelope system of budgeting and was clearly new to it. For those that don't know, the envelope system entails taking all of your budget and putting it in cash in marked envelopes. X amount in an envelope for groceries, X amount for gasoline, X amount for entertainment, etc. You then are not allowed to spend more than the cash in the envelope. So, if you budget $50 for gas for the week, and you drive a lot in the first half of the week, you might have to bike or carpool somewhere at the end since you've already used up your gas cash. It takes some tweaking to get the budgeting amounts correct, but it actually can work for some people. Anyway, that was a sidetrack.

I say she was using the envelope system because she clearly had several envelopes filled with cash sticking out of her purse (not the smartest idea to begin with). I say she was new to it because she had budgeted $200 cash for groceries, but clearly did not keep track of her cost as she was shopping. because her total was over $400. :banghead: 

But wait, it gets better. She had coupons. A whole stack of them. And for some reason, she thought her dinky "save 10 cents on x", "save 30 cents on y" would somehow add up to a $200+ savings on her groceries. They didn't. Her total after coupons was something like $390. Still $190 over. So now she had to go through her bags and pick one item at a time to run back over the scanner to return it. $190 to return, $1 or $2 or $4 at a time. And she couldn't just grab things indiscriminently, she had to think about each one and decide whether she really needed it in relation to the rest of the stuff. Plus the cashier also had to remove coupon discounts for items she'd used a coupon on but was now returning, which started adding the price back up. All told, it took her about 45 minutes just by herself to complete the check out process.

Did I mention that all this took place on an extremely busy Friday night, when tons of people are there doing their grocery shopping with full carts. We were literally in line almost 2 hours total. My kids were freaking out. It was awful, and it was mostly that woman's fault. I suggested to her that maybe she should return one more item and use the money to buy a calculator for next time so she can keep track of her spending while she shops. She didn't look very pleased.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't really work in a field with customers. I suppose patients are technically customers, but I don't really get pissed at them for being dumb. I know I usually don't know anything at all about what they do, and medicine is pretty complicated, so I don't mind.

I do get stressed when otherwise intelligent people don't LISTEN, after asking for my informed advice. But that's life--I don't think they're dumb customers/patients, just that they're regular ol' dumb and/or stubborn people.

12. flying teapot

flying teapot Member

it makes you wonder when common sense stopped being so common

13. Loscos

Loscos Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should burn them.

14. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Okay, I know buying a car is difficult and people don't do it every day..but somethings just make sense.

A $30,000 2006 Nissan Armada is NOT going to be $200 a month EVER. You can't finance a car for 30 years, that is a mortgage.

If your last car was reposessed because you stopped paying for it, you aren't going to get the nicest car on the lot with no money down and a low payment. You need to take what you can get, and the interest is going to be REALLY high, IF you get approved at all.

99% of banks require a driver's license if they are going to lend you money to buy a car. They also require you to have income. They're funny about making sure people can pay them back and prefer that customers can have insurance.

Giving a car back halfway through a loan because it broke down is STILL a repossesion, say whatever you want, that bank will report it on your credit as a repo...period.

15. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The only really stupid incident I encountered was stuck behind someone in line at McDonalds at about 11am one day. The guy looks at the 16 year old working the register, he's been looking up at the menu the whole time, and asks her the dumbest question I ever heard.

"What kind of beer do you have?"

Let's put aside the fact he wanted to get a good buzz going before noon in a place where 99% of the time driving away is required. Now... most of us know McDonalds, been around as long as we've been alive, and if ever a kids fast food place had been made, that was it. Most also know it's illegal for someone under 21 to serve alcohol. Hell, has anyone ever heard of any fast food place that served beer? It's not even the fact he asked for a beer while standing next to a cardboard cut-out of a clown holding a tray of toys inside a building made of more plastic than stone. It's that he wanted to know a brand... like if she said they had Miller he'd have gotten pissed and went to Burger King where they'd serve a Budweiser.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  16. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I hate customers that use the self-check out line at WM or the movies despite the fact they don't understand how to follow simple directions of the self check-out. If your too dumb to follow directions on a screen then you should probably have the dumb employees check you out.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Taco Cabana, a 24 hr 'upscale' Taco Bell that serves beer and shitty premixed margaritas. They're in San Antonio, TX, probably elsewhere also, and they're AWESOME.

18. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    :lol  Thing is when I typed that line, I KNEW someone would come along with an answer for me... I kinda meant big chain fast food places but that works.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Here's a good one that happens once in a while to me - I do printer installs and support for a large company. About once a week, I will get a call like this:

Me: "Hello?"
    Them: "We have a printer problem over at such and such location"
    Me: "Ok, what's the problem?"
    Them: "The printer isn't working."
    Me: "Ok, is it giving you any kind of error?"
    Them: "Yes, the screen says it's out of paper."
    Me: "...did you try putting PAPER in it?"
    Them: "Oh no, should I?"

20. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Oh HEELLL no. :lol