Customs: Custom woes

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sabrina_Ng, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    I'm not sure where to start this 'custom woes' but as of late, I have been receiving VERY annoying emails from people all over asking if I am actually a guy. Who is using actually using the image of a girl to promote and sell his work. Here's a few of them today..In their exact words.

"r u pretending 2 b a girl, and this is a marketing stratergy?"

"i have a feeling u r scamming for people to buy paints"

"you are a big lie. You dun exist."

I mean, is it a crime to not be a guy or something? I dunno...I didnt want to argue with these idiots, failing which, there makes 2. So I just posted a link of an interview of me from Razor TV and let them watch it. Arguing is tiring.

Feeling kinda down with all these kind of people around..So so....sexist......

2. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

cheer up, people just like to hurt others. just ignore them as best you can. you do have the full support of all of us here at tfw.

3. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Don't let the haters get you down. You do awesome work that so many people admire.

I got a big laugh out of this one:
    :lolol 

4. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

They're probably leg-humping 12-year olds who want pictures for "proof." Chock on a bit of jealousy at your skills and you have a recipe for crap like you're receiving.

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    to be honest, I'd have to say because you have pics of yourself on auctions, you're inviting these comments. Rarely do you see a photo of the artist on a custom auction. The 2 should (in my opinion) remain separate from one another. The moment you apply (and link) any type of image of yourself to the custom, you invite those who are checking out the auction's opinion about you personally, rather than solely on the custom.

:2c: 

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

It's because those haters probably can't concieve that a customizer of your caliber has the ability to be so good AND be a female at the same time. Frankly I just don't care enough to be with them, plus your painting skills are amazing, far better than mine.

7. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree here. For the most part. I do have a profile on my webpage and facebook, but nothing really inviting. And the fact that the web is so full of sick-os, it is just a reality to have to deal with.

The comment about getting people to buy paint is hilarious!!!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    actually, from my experience, I've met a few women/girls who paint toys and make customs. Ironically, the majority of them keep their sex secret for the reasons Sabby's having problems.

9. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Thanks guys. I'm sorry to open a sob story kinda thread but it's really annoying and I just need to let it out.

For FR and Encline, let's rephrase. As you both have pointed out, there are ladies that you know off who remain anon on their gender. My FIRM STAND is..Is there any particular reason why they should remain anon?? I'm fine with sickos commenting. That is too easily ignored. What irks me is when people ask me if I hire people to paint and claim credit or if I were to get others to mod for me and I claim it as my own and sell and stuff like that..You guys catch my drift???

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Well, to many it might appear that your picture and how you look have really nothing to do with your customs. On that note, by including a pic of yourself in a low cut short dress at the top of the auction, might deliver the message that it's somehow important to the auction or custom what you look like. (some may see it this way)

I know of a few really cute female TF customizers - who keep their sex secret. They feel that as soon as they reveal they look the way they look, their customs might not be perceived solely on the quality, but for other reasons as well. Plus (the ones who have) typically get harassed, flirted with, etc - which they don't like nor want associated with what they do as an artist.

11. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Well, but you're still missing my point.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Basically, if they didn't know you were a female or what you looked like, you wouldn't get comments like you're having problems with.

13. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    +1. I know of one from TFans (a board I used to post on before). She made really good customs, but would get some really rude and obscene comments on her custom threads because she would also post pictures of herself as well.

I guess, in a way, it's not really just because you are female. It's also about maintaining some form of anonymity about yourself in general (meaning, it applies to everybody) on the internet.

14. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Yes FR. But the comments from sickos are easily ignored. What is not easily ignored is the comments that come from the angle that gals cant do these kinda things. If you're a gal, and you're doing it, something is not rite. So to speak...That annoys me..So in any case, if you're a lady, you gotta hide your own identity?? Isnt that some kind of Chauvinistic approach by these 'men'.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    ok ok, I think I see where you're going with it. yeah, apparently we know women can do customs too. Why is it important to let the world and potential bidders know this though? is it important? is it worth getting comments from a handful of people who doubt it, so that the majority of the others can see it?

There are pros and cons for every decision we make. just need to chose which way to go... so it benefits you and makes you happy.

16. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    AHHHHHH!!! I see. You do not care about the dress picture and the creeps, it is the fact that people do not think you could do the work because of you being a girl. I share the same problem with how good I look. People ask me all the time, is that really your work...you are to good looking to paint like that!!! HAHA.
    But for real, women always seem to be treated like this. In the air brush world, women have to work extra hard. I wish I could change it, but we can't.

17. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    We were discussing a pic of you in speedo??? You gonna do it?? Lolz!

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    ironic, I was thinking the same thing...

19. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

I know a lot of girls in the One Academy of Communication Design down in Malaysia back in the day. And most of them are great with airbrush. Most of the guys, me included, suck at it. Women really take their time when it comes to details. So I guess what I want to say is, cheer up Sab! Those dudes are just jealous and maybe, just maybe, some of them are even trying to get your number or something.

20. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

don't worry, those guys are dumbasses