Heavy/Scratch: Custom Universe Hardhead and G1 Soundwave heads

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by catch22, May 27, 2010.

1. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Got my stuff from shapeways.com today. Unfortunately both of the white heads were printed undersized for some reason (the black Soundwave head shows what size the white one should be).

Also the black one has some residue left-over on it--it scrapes off fairly easily, though its still a pain in the ass to remove. The other two are perfectly clean, so I'm assuming there's some chemical that helps wipe it away or dissolve it after production that they didn't apply to the black one.

The mini-Soundwave head isn't so bad, though, if it's the right size for MP3-wave

edit: the front piece of the undersizedl Hardhead head taped into place. I actually think this size looks good.

Attached Files:

2. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    I'd be interested in one of the smaller Hardhead heads.

3. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

those are both really awesome. The hardhead one looks alot like his IDW appearance.

How easy was the program to use on that site? Thats definitely something i might be interested in doing.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. They don't have a native program. Guess i'll have to get better at sketch up

4. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Nice to see your designs in physical form!

They both look great! :thumbs2: 

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice stuff. I would really be interested in the Hardhead head if you decide to cast them. As someone else stated, it really does nail how he looked in the IDW series.

6. catch22

Ebay:
    Thanks for the compliments guys :) 

As for the under-sized Hardhead head, you'd have to come up with some way to custom attach him to the Universe Hardhead body, due to the post on the body being too large for the under-sized head. Shapeways is shipping me a replacement that will be correctly sized, which will only be a bit bigger and should fit right on to the universe Hardhead body with no modding needed, so you may just wanna wait for a copy of that instead.

7. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice work on the heads. They both look great! :thumb  Does Soundwave's head still fit in tape mode? The differences between the black soundwave head and the white one, is the material. White Detail comes out cleaner, compared to other materials available. But it still is not perfect. Before you even consider trying to cast them, I highly recommend you to spray the heads with gray primer. Then you'll see how much work you are going to have to do to prep them, before casting. Basically, expect to spend several hours sanding the surface of the heads, as its not as smooth and perfect, like something out of a Hasbro factory.

And a little tip about the size. Once your ready to export the file out of the program you modeled it in, measure the size. Once its uploaded in Shapeways, you can confirm the size on the right side of the part page.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  8. catch22

Ebay:
    Thanks! His head does fit in tape mode, it's basically the same size as the original. I need to make an adjustment to the interior, though, so that it fits on the neck joint.

[​IMG]

^^so annoying

9. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    I'm actually interested in the undersized head. I changed my Uni HH into Uni Bulkhead and have been wanting to use a diff. mold for HH.

10. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    Very nice! I love how Hardhead's sculpt appears to be based on Nick Roche's version of the character. I'd definitely be interested in buying one if you ever decide to mass produce it.

11. catch22

Ebay:
    I could see about making copies of the smaller one as well.

Thanks, they will definitely be produced, unfortunately shapeways screwing up the order is setting me back on getting these things ready for purchase.

12. gbot

gbot Well-Known Member

when they are ready to sale please pm me. also how mutch will they be catch22? finaly can the figure still transform with this new head on?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  13. catch22

Ebay:
    Cost is something I can't comment on yet as I don't know how much it'll cost me to produce them. I'll shoot you a pm when they're ready for sale.

Yes, the figures will be fully transformable with the new heads.

14. catch22

Ebay:
    Updated original post with pics of the "correctly" sized head from shapeways.

It fits pretty well, but it's too big for the figure to transform. Not a big fan of how the larger size looks anyway, so it's just as well.

Question: Since I need to make it smaller, should it be as small as the one in the original post? Or a little bigger?

15. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the smaller head is better. Maybe a bit bigger, if needed. How did you decide on the original size? I usually take the original head, that will be replaced, and base the new head on its size. I do give myself a little freedom in making it bigger or smaller, but usually no more than 4mm, unless its a feature, like antennas or something.

16. catch22

Ebay:
    Basically that. It's not too far off, if it was just a bit smaller it would transform okay.

17. hrothgars

hrothgars Autobot Scout

PM me too if you have a Hardhead head to spare. Looks great!

18. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

That Hardhead noggin is fantastic. I've got a pre-order in for the Headrobots version, but this is actually nicer looking, IMO.

(now, if only there was a version with the gunshot wound from Spotlight: Hardhead.)

19. Todd Hakusho

Todd Hakusho Resident Gryphon

Ebay:
    dude, let me know when you've fixed the Soundwave head. I've been meaning to spruce up my G1 Soundwave :p .

20. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ben looking for one of these. please lmk when you got the soundwave's in