Minor/Repaint: Custom TF weapons

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Viper_486, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Sometimes, a figure may be packaged with a weapon that either wasnt used by that character in your favorite continuuity, or you just think they'd be better off with a different piece of equipment.
    Here are a few examples of just such an occurrence, and my efforts to rectify them.

[​IMG]
    In the comics I read as a teen, Bludgeon was never far from his trademark weapon, a massive katana.
    After studying several panels featuring the blade, I constructed one out of styrene to match the one in the comic.
    (Plus I think the finished product looks much better than that crappy blaster he came packaged with.)

[​IMG]
    Here's a closeup of the blade, showing the simulated hammon. (temper line along the blade)

[​IMG]
    The same goes for Bludgeon's compatriot, Octopunch.
    The most memorable scene he was in, in my memories, was attacking several Autobot Pretenders, while brandishing a massive trident, a fitting weapon for a monster from the deep.
    This is also constructed out of sheet and tube styrene, and a few dabs of filler.
    Note just how just posessing a trident enhances the whole deep sea theme.

[​IMG]
    This closeup points out a tiny detail I added...
    The barbed tines on the harpoon are actually sharpened to points, just as if it was a real one.
    While very tedious and time consuming, I think the final result was worth it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a before/after shot showing the subtle changes wrought to Alternator Prowl's polics nightstick.
    Yeah, I know, not a real big difference from before (top) to after (bottom).
    But I like to think of this as a prime example of how the little details sometime win out over drastic changes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are the before/after shots showing the changes I made to Optimus Prime's blaster, to allow him to (finally) hold it correctly..
    The whole idea of Prime holding his blaster's magazine, instead of its handle has irked me for over 20 years.
    Finally, I did something to correct the problem....

[​IMG]
    Prime can't even hold the original rifle correctly, because of the glaring design error

[​IMG]
    Here is a side view showing Prime hefting his new (and far superior) resculpted blaster.
    My only regret is not doing this years ago.

2. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

And last, for now, but definately not the least is the two pieces I did for my custom MP Black Convoy.

[​IMG]
    This is his custom blaster, kitbashed from a find in my local Goodwill's .19 cent toy bin.

[​IMG]
    This is the 12" long custom energon blade I made for my custom MP Black Convoy.

I have a slew of other weapons in the works, from cast metal shoulder cannons for my BT/ALT's to custom energon melee weapons that will fit any transformer from any gneration that has the standard sized hole in their fist (3/16")
    Thats it for now, more to come over the winter.

-Viper 486 out

3. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Those are sweet. Finally, Prime can pull that trigger!

4. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Sweet! and I want to see a pic of your black MP :D 

5. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Those are some pretty cool customs. I really like the Prime gun... I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that gun. You'd think they would have fixed it for the reissues. That Dark Convoy sword is pretty badass too.

6. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby N7 Destroyer

Looking at the Prime gun i assume you just cut off the magazine from another gun? But what is the best glue to use? ive tried poly cement and superglue to try to fix toys in the past but they never quite hold together

7. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Actually the new pistol grip on Prime's blaster is a scratch build, made out of tube and sheet styrene.
    As for glue, the only glue I use is 'future glue'
    Stuff bonds thru oil, paint, grease, or just about anything else, and is extremely resistant to wear and tear.
    My studio loves it so much we buy it by the case.