Minor/Repaint: Custom Smoke Screen

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jaekwong, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Jaekwong

Jaekwong Well-Known Member

Here is my Smokescreen. The base figure is the Deluxe Movie Jazz Autobot. This piece was inspired by Frenzy Rumble. This whole figure has been done completely of testors model master enamels. Ive finally be fully convinced that, THOUGH, enamels are harder to work with than acrylics, they definatley sit better and dont chip, meaning DURABLE HIGH QUALITY PAINT. Also the paints just seem to come off better with a nicer finish (in my opinion) compared to tamiya acrylics. Mind you i do like acrylics as well :) 

The exterior has been done with 2 coats of red and two coats of blue. One plain red/blue then metal red/blue on top of that. The robot parts were primed with krylon fusion black, layered with 3 shades of grey then silver chrome on top of that to let it shine a little like metal all which were dry brushed on.

Head came from a Armada Blurr that I had lying around somewhere (again inspired by Frenzy). The shoulder launchers are my favourite part of this whole figure. They were from the Blurr as well which are magnetically attached on to the built-in metal rod which was QUITE convenient. It worked out beautifully. The missles were cut in half since they were ridiculously long. Also, these launchers can be removed and placed on top of the car which is also attached with rare earth magnets.

The hands are from another gundam figure. I dremeled off Jazz's hands and created ball sockets for the gundam hands. The knee has also been filled in with Ave's Studio Fixit Sculpt then painted red.

The decals were given to me generously by Frenzy.

The WHOLE figure has been coated with future floorwax to help prevent any damage, even though this figure has been painted in enamels, I don't want to take any risk. Remember, enamels are much more durable and don't chip like acrylics. They also are a lot harder to work with in my opinion.

Attached Files:

2. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Very, very nice. I really like the dual rocket launchers.

3. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome!

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Very nice Jay. I like the blue color choice and the rockets, they add a little more "smokescreen" to the piece!

Congratulations on making the cut to enamel paints too ;) 
    You'll prolly never go back to acrylics

5. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Sweet job man! You picked a great bash to mimick here and you pulled it off well. Nice rocket launchers too

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hey man, this piece looks slick! Great work and keep 'em coming! :thumb 

Also, props to f_r again for his rockin' custom of the same mold. It's cool you were able to help out someone who was obviously inspired by your work :) 

7. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Awesome, really good work. Frenzy_rumble's Smokescreen was dope, and this is every bit as good, and stands out on its own. Excellent.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    very nicely done.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Do the missiles actually fire? Are these the launchers that require a minicon in the port?

10. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is great, really well done and those rockets are icing on the cake.