Minor/Repaint: Custom Sideways, with a little extra...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

EDIT: Finally updated the pictures with the fan-mode back pack. Also added some 'fun' pics to go along.

I decided to get rid of all the red bot parts, though I also chose to keep the car as is (the movie-version is nice, but feels too Bluestreakish to me). I experimented with this new Hammered Steel spray paint that was kinda tough to work with--at least on the red portions. (I also painted the arms, and the surface being black worked much better with the paint) Certain areas got a bit too thick, but overall it eventually covered up the red. Didn't want to prime-coat because I kinda need it to graft directly to the plastic. I then went back over the parts with a clear Tamiya Smoke, spraying portions in off-patterns to make the effect I've got.

Anyway, beyond the spraying, some of the parts (head, back of the legs, etc) got the dry-brush treatment using the same stuff sprayed into a cup. I wish all of the robot components that were red had been black--I would have gotten a better effect, I think. Rather happy with how he turned out, though I've found some steel spots under the chest that need more touch-ups.

EDIT: I also shaved some of the plastic on his lower shin to give the feet some more movement. I was having a hard time standing him with any kind of 'one leg back' pose, and this allows the foot to rotate up more.

But more than this, I decided to give him Dead End's saw blade for the other hand. Took Sideways' blade and sprayed it with Tamiya Silver Leaf to get it to match Dead End's blade color, and it seems to match perfectly with whatever silver Hasbro is currently using--I've had seamless success with adding onto Classics Skywarp, touching up figures here and there, and even filling in the nose-spot on ROTF LC Prime's facemask without having to fully repaint. (sprayed a spot on my workdesk in the garage, scraped up a bit on a toothpick, touched it to Prime's 'nose' and filled in the paintspot. It blends seamlessly with the rest of the mask)

Anyway, he looks pretty good. I do have one image that shows the new blade still allows clearance for when he's transformed.

And to finish off, a little role-reversal clip...

[​IMG]

...and he STILL can't win.

:D 

Attached Files:

2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I like the two saw blades.

3. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Cool, dual saws.

4. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Pretty sweet, though it'd look better with the backpack and chest fully transformed.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    A Pun-3X customs is always a great custom :thumb 

6. Z.U.D.O.N

Z.U.D.O.N Camshaft's Master

:bay 

I love what you did to the torso and wheel-hand. Very nice choice of metal paint! :D 

7. chris24jc

chris24jc OptiChris Prime

8. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, I had simply forgotten to attach the backpack hinges when I took the pictures. But I usually attach it to the two hood pieces that you flip up. Of course, I couldn't figure out why they flipped up if you had to attach the back to them.

I never knew about those lower pieces, though. Suddenly it all makes sense. Thanks for showing me that.

9. chris24jc

You're quite welcome! Anytime!
    And again, great job on him. Much more movie accurate as well as a better design overall I think. The red pieces were way too striking and bold.
    And his blades really stand out now. NOW he looks like he could stand up to Sideswipe at least a little better. haha!

10. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Much better than the factory release. :) 

11. cyclonus666

cyclonus666 target master

very cool, I like that alot, its simple but says alot

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Nice job on the blades, and the cover up of the red!

13. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Update! New pics, plus a slight leg/shin mod.

Also, more fun-stuff! :) 

14. chris24jc

Lol! Nice!

HAHA. Great pics! Revenge of the Sideway's- FAIL! LOL. Great idea, and great pics n photoshopping!

Not quite sure what you did with shimming the leg, but it looks nice!
    Oh wait, I just read the edited part, now I get it. Great idea. I might shave some off of mine too. Extra poseability ROCKS! You should see what I did to my Ravage. Actually, I'm gonna post of video of it soon, so you can! LOL.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is why I love you, Pun-3X :thumb