Heavy/Scratch: Custom Revoltech Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by cookiemaster, Jul 5, 2012.

1. cookiemaster

cookiemaster Member

I realize custom revoltech's might be a bit old hat by now, but I only recently started collecting them and quickly got disappointed by the few character models. So I started customizing!

I'm pretty much finished with the alterations, so now he just needs a g1 paint job and he'll be all set. When I eventually get around to finishing him I'll update with some pictures

Ultra Magnus is my first attempt at a custom Transformer, so please let me know what you think. I've done some more since which I'll also be uploading, so check them out!

(p.s. I realize there's a custom set for him already, but it's pretty rare and expensive so I thought I'd try myself)

Attached Files:

2. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

Yes! He's not naked anymore! I'm loving all ur Rev customs BTW , especially the fact that you can capture the stylistic aesthetic of them with sculpting, looking forward to seeing them finished ;) 

3. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't use Green Stuff without vaseline and a sharp metal tool to get it nice and sharp on the edges, for TFs. :)  Unless you plan on sanding it down, but in that case mixing it with Milliput or similar could work nicely. Definitely a nice idea though, and I love the face in particular.

4. cookiemaster

cookiemaster Member

Thanks for the tips! I've got a few tools which I used, but I didn't try vaseline. I found using the Green Stuff pretty fiddley just to shape, let alone get straight edges - but maybe with practice... I might try add a thin layer of plasticard on top, but it probably won't be for a while...

5. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Basically Vaseline stops your sculpting tool sticking to the GS, so it makes it easier to smooth off sharp corners and stuff. :)  Good luck, from one London customiser to another!

6. cookiemaster

cookiemaster Member

Here's an update for UM:

I've basically just painted him, but it's taken me ages. Really I need to re-model his shoulder extensions but I'm a bit stumped for ideas.

Anybody know of any similar sized models that might have some good parts?

Attached Files:

• b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      170.3 KB
      Views:
    • a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      163.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It takes guts to customize rare and expensive figures. (I just sold my whole set of revoltechs for $$$ on ebay)...but I think you could have spent more time refining your sculpted parts. They look doughy and smooshed on without any shaping to give them that hard surface look of metal and the lack additional details like paneling, and other high frequency details found on the revoltechs. The colors look good, but again, the application looks rushed with multiple coats being needed.

I like the idea and I hope you keep trying. I think shockwave is my favorite, though I'm partial to the character myself. There is a small image of the one I made in my sig.

Keep it up!

8. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

^^^^^^ I agree. parts of him look unfinished and need better defined edges.