Customs: Custom Redeco Help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Screamin'Star, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Screamin'Star

Screamin'Star Active Member

Hey I want to give Animated Voyager Starscream a G1 redeco. But I've never done anything like this before, so can you guys help me out and give me ideas as to how I should go about doing this? Like what types of paints to use, where to get them, how much they cost etc. But most importantly, how do I repaint the decepticon insignia? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

2. luke4

luke4 crocon

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That is a pretty decent tutorial. As Jin says himself, it's by no means the only way to do it, but it's certainly as good as any. After a few goes, you generally find what works best for you.

What paints you use depends on a ton of factors, like your budget, what's available where you are (or whether you're willing to specifically order stuff online), and whether you want to use acrylics or enamels (most of us, I believe, use acrylics, but enamels have their champions too).

The Decepticon insignia could be handled in a few ways; one would be to paint over the existing one, but you'd be talking extremely fine brush control, both while painting the insignia, and painting the base TF colour around it. I've done it before, but it's really tricky, and really time-consuming. Plus you've got to remember when painting the main fig not to paint over it.

One option round it might be to get hold of some faction stickers from Reprolabels.com; they come with silver, gold, or white backing, or even transparent, so you can lay them on any colour you want.

4. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i recomend acrylics if it is your first time with paints.

if it was me on the insignia i would just buy some clear backed reprolabels.

and dito on what ramrider said for the rest