Customs: Custom Pretenders?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I realize there's a divide between the fandom over the concept of Pretenders. Some praise it for its unique gimmick, while others consider it one of the worst ideas in TF toy history.

Personally, I loved the concept. Skullgrin was one of the few Transformers I had as a kid. I'd be interested if Hasbro brought it back in some capacity (i.e. Animated).

Then I thought about the possibility of someone here tackling such a project. A lot of modifications would be involved, especially with the shells. Do you articulate them? How would you go about doing them?

I know I'm not the first to raise questions about this in the customs community. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this subject.

Attached Files:

2. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

SPOILER:
    Apparently there's one in TF2. It could very well be Bay's misinformation though.

3. cefuroxx

cefuroxx Well-Known Member

a masterpiece thunderwing might be feasible without looking too terrible if the shell were articulated.

4. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I guess it wouldn't be too different from making a shell-former, except you'd make the shell entirely removable, and you'd make the bot inside also have his own transformation...

I know that wouldn't be exactly a pretender, if you want a classic g1 pretender the other shell shouldn't transform at all, but rather just split in half. Personally I'd loosen the concept and permit the outer shell to "transform off" rather than split in half. It might make it more attractive too because you could work articulation into it.

5. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

It's funny you post a pic of Skullgrin, as I've recently been doing my own google image searches for him to see exactly how his horns are oriented(I have never owned him) for a custom I'm working on using a few different Spawn figures. I had one that broke, and the particular way in wich it broke is *PERFECT* for a pretender shell. I'm still trying to work out how to keep the limbs and torso together while having the back open up like a hatch to fit a heavily modded Legends-class Cybertron Starscream inside, but once I get it together, I'll post pics before I paint it.

6. TF Hunter D

TF Hunter D Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've personally been fascinated with the Pretender classics myself. I thought bringing back the original figures were a good idea, but their execution had something to be desired. Somewhere out there, there's a pic of my Pretender Jazz redone. I do plan to take new photos, but I'd like to put on some new stickers for him first. As for now, I'm working on something similar, but without the shells. Don't know how to do the shells.

7. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    already on it... lol

8. Satomiblood

Yea, I remember reading about that.

But I'm not really interested in the idea of robots with human shells. I'd much prefer something along the lines of Skullgrin or the shells from Victory Dinoking.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd love to see the Pretenders done with robots as the outer shells. What turned me off from Pretenders was the human and beast elements (I feel the same way about things like animal TFs as well).

10. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    If you lay hands on a copy of Generations, there's the original concept art for Pretenders in there. IMO a bit cooler than the way they were actually executed. Basically the "shell" was organic bits that clipped onto and around the robot so that it ended up looking like a human (or monster) wearing armor, with the armor being the robot's actual chest, forearms, legs, etc.

Masterforce tried to play it this way in the animation, with the humans' armor expanding to become the robot-form....sorta.

Anyway though, I think this approach presents a way to do custom pretenders that are true to the concept, and a step up from the original execution.

D/L

11. Satomiblood

SQ7: I don't know...I think beasts as shells work just as nicely. It's definitely a concept I'd pay to see revisited.

12. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    I can think of a lot of toys that can be repainted as Pretender CHARACTERS... but doing Pretenders with shells... that's a tough one.

13. Griffin73

Griffin73 Commander

Should be pretty easy with the current 3D technology. I'd bet it'd get a much better reception then back in the 80's. Especially if the shells looked creepy and demonic. I'd love to see a new Metalhawk or Thunderwing. Even a Monstrosity based on the old 80's robots with new shells that look detailed and ferocious. If it could be done well, consumers would be all over it.

14. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm Thundercracker fanatic

if i recall the decepticon who swapped tongue with shia was labled a pretender

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Since the posting of this thread, aprim has taken on a lot of these characters as projects. Search out his work in Customs!

16. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    LOL, I should have also mentioned, I did up a inverted version of Hasbro's current approach that I quite liked.

Pretender Monster Icepick, G1 Robot mode, "Beast/Monster" Mode uses his shell-details:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently just quikcy digibashes, I was originally supposed to have a collaboration with a fellow artist to do the paint on this guy, not sure if it's still happening now.

The rest of (both) team(s) are still in the works, just trying to upgrade my hardware so I can do it up right.

17. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  18. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    OK that's jaw-dropping brilliant!

Now, the texture issue would still be problematic, but it's so nice and flexible, I wonder if it could be used to create molds for casting? I don't see why not, at least for any casting medium that is only mildly exothermic.

The finish would still be crap, but if you needed to design a geometrically complex structural element that required the material properties of resin (or whatever) and aesthetics weren't an issue (interior part, etc.), it might be very very useful....

19. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've done a Few
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd be content if the Pretenders can get their own toyline brand, ala Power Core Combiners. As for the shells, why not have the shells be articulated, with the inner robots being basic/deluxe class sized whereas the Pretender shells would be much larger.