Customs: Custom Paintjob Help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Spartan Prime, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I'm new to doing anything fancy with existing figures. Me and a few pals have decided to make custom figures of a few of our Heroes from the MMORPG City Of Heroes. I decided to go with a JLU Kyle Raynor figure, if that helps any. Anybody with experience have advice on the cheap for a quick "how-to"? Help appreciated. I'll say nice things about you.

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A lot of guys over at the soup have done City Of Heroes customs. The first thing that you need to do is look for some good base figures to start working with and go from there.

Edit* did not read it right, so your using Kyle Raynor as your base, but for what exactly, do you have a screen shot of your intended outcome?

3. Spartan Prime

The only one I have right now is this one...

[​IMG]

The front is more or less the same, only with something of a Gambit-like mask, and this costume will be more a maroon/light-gray as opposed to the green/white.

Sorry about the lack of frontal/good coloring. It was a night-photo after a GM fight.

4. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your going to have to do some light sculpting for the forearms, boots, mask and shoulder pads. Everything short of the shoulder pads should be cake with apoxie sculpt. Hair looks fine and just needs paint. If your going to primer him after doing all the modifications use white so the gray and maroon "pop" more. What do you think?

5. Spartan Prime

Given that I've only done amateur repaints before using model paint, and they turned out rather Grade-D, I think very little... But if it helps any:

Said items will need sculpted too. The forearms/gauntlets are bigger than the arms in a major way. In-game, they're almost Mega-Man-like. The boots are big too, and given the very tiny way the JLU figure's legs are, getting a good proportion from Game character to figure-sculpt will be tricky. Shoulders are just round, so that shouldn't be difficult, articulated joint aside.

Mask will be easy. The existing mask on the figure actually has some pretty good angles and lines that will help with the one I'm adding, I'll just need to tone down how the hair is sculpted.

I figured doing anything with colors would be a trick, since they don't always stay the right shade by the time you're done with them, so I'll keep that in mind. Any recommendations on brands? I have a few hobby shops around here so finding supplies shouldn't be an issue.

6. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also forgot, for pre-painting move all the joints around and see where there is rubbing and address that first. The wash him in hot soap and water, let completely dry. My recommendation for primer is always Krylon fusion, once cured I could not even scratch it off my Protoform Prime. As for paints I recommend Vallejo Game Color or Reaper Master Line paints, they are usually used for miniatures and have a really fine grain so the colors are rich and highly saturated, great for action figures. If you cannot find those then Tamiya or Testors Model Masters will work good as well and are what a lot of people use.

7. Spartan Prime

Noted, and added to the shopping list. Should I be taking him apart first, or is that unnecessary work? There's only 5 points of articulation on him, so it won't be that bad, and I don't think he'll be used for anything but a showpiece, but I'm using whatever works best.

8. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't bother taking him apart, I only do that with some Transformers, but even then It feels like unnecessary work, especially if your just going to pose him and leave him on display. Good luck.:thumb 

9. Spartan Prime

Gracias. And as for those nice things I promised to say about you: You're the nicest Tony I know who isn't friends with a pedophile.

Random. But true.

10. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :cool:  This is true. Be sure to keep me updated, I want to see the outcome.

11. Spartan Prime

Will do.

While I'm thinking of it, my wife was interested in a custom figure also, a Star Wars Twi-lek. I have an Aayla Secura I plan to use, but the character she wants is a red-skinned type, not blue. I heard spray-paint would work in a quick and effective fashion. Any certain types of paint to look for?

12. Ecmagee1984

Ecmagee1984 Big E

Ebay:
    Use Model Master Acryl paints, they are the best

13. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tamiya and Testors both make great spray paints just be sure that when you do paint them, that they are super thin coats and you start spraying off the figure and stop off the figure so not to gunk it up and obscure details.

Give the man some options, it might be the best for you but Reapers are the best for me. Narrow opinions will never help anyone.