Custom Painting Transformers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Optimus Convoy, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Optimus Convoy

Optimus Convoy Well-Known Member

I want to custom paint some of my Transformers figures. Not gonna repaint the whole figure. Just parts of it like my Combiner Wars Starscream's forearms from blue to light blue. And I also use the paint my Ninja Turtles figures like Mike and Don and my Batman figure cause the paint is scratched off a little bit. I'm thinking about buying the paint today at Michaels. I was wondering if you guys could give me tips on what kinda of paint, brand I should buy, is there any other tools I need to use and is there anything else I need to do. I've seen a lot of youtube videos that the guys are using the brand Testors and using acrylic paint. Is there a better brand or different paint I could use?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. Dropkick

Dropkick "I outrank you, get in the back!"

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I would recommend using Acrylic paints. That always looks best, and doesn't wash off as often. If you want to redo the paint job, a Toothbrush with soapy water should get rid of the paint if you accidentally painted somewhere you didn't want.

Basic Guide to Painting Transformers Figures

Follow this guys instructions if you want to full repaint or minor repaint.
    He's really good!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Optimus Convoy

Optimus Convoy Well-Known Member

Thanks, man. So it doesn't matter what brand. Just as long its acrylic paint is fine.

4. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Yeah, I use acrylic paints, too. I'd recommend glossy instead of matte. Glossy paint just meshes better with a figure.

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Moving to Creative General Discussion

6. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Acrylics- great for detail work and blending. Bad for durability.
    Enamels and Lacquers- great for coverage and durability. Bad for set time and blending.

Acrylics are water-based and clean up easy. Thins with distilled water.
    Enamels and Lacquers clean up with acetone and paint thinner. Dangerous fumes! Thins with mineral spirits.

Acrylic Brands: Testors, Reaper, Vallejo, Citadel (Games Workshop)
    Enamel Brands: Testors has a few different lines, but they're all I'm familiar with.

Brushes: I use 00 round for detailing, and block style for coverage. Michael's has some great sable brushes. Can't remember the name brand off hand, but it's their main line.

Prep work is key. Wash the pieces with degreasing soap (Dawn) or even rubbing alcohol (just not on clear pieces as it causes clouding).
    Primer is good for big areas, but not necessary.

• Like Like x 1