Custom Paint Help

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Renegade Razor, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Renegade Razor

Renegade Razor Renegade Team Leader

I'm finally going ahead with another one of my custom ideas but I need some advice. I'm making a character out of a Metroplex body and I need to know if any of you have suggestions about paint. What I mean is, what kind of paint should I use to cut down on flaking and scratching? I used regular krylon paint on my others and it stayed on great but the contact edges when you transform them wear out after a while. The best I have to shop from in my area is a Wal-mart and a Lowe's if that helps. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

The only way to prevent or lessen chipping at contact points is to remove said contact points. Use the finest sandpaper you have available and sand those edges smooth, and to a point where they no longer rub. Always use primer before finish paint. Seal the paint afterward.

As far as paint type, I personally prefer oil-based paint over water-based. That being said, I'm trying water-based for my new project and think I just may like the result.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, stuff like Krylon Fusion (if available, which it isn't here :( ) is pretty widely used, and regarded for its resistance against chipping. But it will still scrape off eventually if it rubs a lot during transformations, so you need to do your best to file or sand down as much of those areas as you feasibly can. Transform the fig a few times, find out where parts will likely rub against each other (bearing in mind you'll be adding a fraction of a millimetre to the thickness when you paint it). Then work on those areas with fine sandpaper or a set of files (needle files are good for really fine areas), and work on reducing their depth, so that the surface of the paint avoids rubbing as much as possible.

For the record, if you want more help on the subject, you really ought to check out the Radicons mini-site (which you can link to from the front page of the board, the menu at the top of the page, or either of the two links in this post. ;) 

Tons of handy information there, and it's the area guaranteed to be frequented by people who can help you if you need it.