Customs: Custom Onslaught, Brawl, and Vortex heads to complete your FP Bruticus upgrade

Discussion in 'Commissioner Listing and Feedback' started by Soundwave3k, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

UPDATE: Thanks so much everyone for all your support and positive feedback. It has brought me a ton of pleasure seeing all of you use my heads to enjoy your Combaticons even more! Unfortunately I have become simply too busy with work and other things to make these anymore.
    Thanks again!

I'm also adding a link to the YouTube review by Autobot_Lancer that he posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27v-rSeXYuY&feature=player_embedded

Thanks Autobot_Lancer!

A few of you have asked me if I could make replicas of the heads in the Combaticons upgrade thread I posted:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/324174-classics-onslaught-vortex-brawl.html. I LOVE the FP figures and felt that the old Combaticons looked so out of place that I decided to do something about it! I have made casts of each head and posted unpainted pictures of each both alone and on each Combaticon. Note that to install these heads you will need to use the "heat up" method to pull
    each head off as described in this tutorial: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/214537-how-remove-pins-rivets.html.

These heads will have holes drilled in the bottom to help you attach them to your figure, but you may have to drill them out a bit more to make them fit well (I don't want to make the holes too big and leave you with issues attaching them). More details on each head are below with the pictures.

Quantities:
    I will make one set per customer. For now I can make a total of 20 sets. Once I finish those I will may set up another list. Since some of you have already offered to buy these, I have already added you and I will PM you to see if you're still interested. As of now there are still 8 sets up for grabs.

If you want to order a set, please send me a PM, don't post in the thread. I will look at PM's in the order received!

Pricing: Payments through PayPal only please.

• A set of 3 unpainted heads are $18.
    • A set of 3 painted heads are $30. (At this point I don't have the time to paint the heads unfortunately - I will update this page if that changes.)

Shipping:

• Shipping to continental US: $2
    • Shipping to Canada: $3
    • Shipping to the UK: $5
    • For any other destination, please PM me

I will add examples of painted heads in this post. I will be able to color match both the ROTF and Superlink Bruticus components, however I do not have an Energon set. If anyone wants a set painted to match this set, I would ask that you send me your Vortex and Brawl heads so that I can match the paint accurately (Onslaught's will be black unless otherwise requested). Each head will also get a coating of future floor polish covered with a matt sealant to protect it but not make it so shiny that it sticks out; my objective is to make your set look as official as possible.

Thanks for looking everyone!

Onslaught: This is basically the G1 head but without the portion that sticks out in the back. Having that part there makes it really hard to pull each new head out of the mold and caused me to damage the original mold. I posted pictures of the vehicle mode as well so that you can see how it looks. Note: The rectangular are on the bottom of the head (in the back) will not be there in the versions I sell; I am recasting the mold so that the back of the head is perfectly flush.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brawl: Not much to say here. Just remove the original head and replace with Brawls! I also added pictures of the tank mode so you can see what it looks like without the side guns that were on the original head. It wouldn't be that hard to cut those off and attach to the turret but I didn't want to cut up my original Brawl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vortex: Modified from Brawls head. It's a just a bit smaller than I'd like but that's necessary for it to fit in helicopter mode. The helicopter looks identical to the original as the head is totally hidden inside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Those do look pretty good. Can't afford them this go round. But if you're doing another run about a month or so down the line i'd definetly like to get a set. Will the painted version be availible in the ROTF Bruticus colors?

3. Soundwave3k

Yup! In fact most of the orders I've gotten have been for the ROTF versions... along with some combinations of ROTF and Energon. :p 

Thanks for the orders everyone, I have just a few more left I can take. This weekend will be spent doing a lot of painting!

4. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Just sent payment! Pretty psyched on this set. I was gonna figure a way to do them myself but this saves me the work :thumb 

5. Soundwave3k

UPDATE: I am no longer taking new orders. If I have already sent you my PayPal information, then don't worry you are set!

Man, making a few is pretty easy... but when you're making 20+ it's suddenly a whole different ballgame. On that note, here's an update:
    [​IMG]

I now need to make holes for the pins and screws and start painting some of them. I'm hoping to have all of these out before next weekend. I will keep posting updates here.

Thanks everyone!

6. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Boom-shalca-laca

Send mine now! No paint, no holes!

Oh and great job by the way. No real rush I'm just playin'

7. Soundwave3k

8. Soundwave3k

A couple of updates everyone: After extensive testing of installing the heads I just couldn’t get them to fit snugly using the original pins; they were all a bit loose. The reason is that the resin the heads are made of does not really melt from heat very easily. So I have now added a screw to each head that you can use to attach them to your figures once you’ve removed the original heads. I am sending this to the people who didn’t need the holes as well just to be on the safe side.

One issue did come up after this. Once the heads were super secure, Vortex’s head would no longer fit in his helicopter mode. Apparently the wobblier fit allowed it to move out of the way of the obstructing parts, but after about a dozen or so transformations the head would fall off the original pin (yes, I did test it that much)! After spending a few hours on it, the only way I could fix it was by shaving his “horns” back a couple of millimeters. Each head was tested to make sure it now clears the necessary space. If you want more space you can shave a little bit off the chopper body but it is not necessary. Pictures of the modified head are below. I actually like the new look better as it gives him a ‘visor’ above his eye, but if any of you who have already paid are not happy with this change, please let me know and we will work something out. I am now planning on mailing out the unpainted heads tomorrow, and the painted heads Saturday or Monday (I want to may sure the paint is 110% dry before applying the sealant so that it remains durable).
    Vortex update:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heads!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    cool with me!

10. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Wow...if you make more, I think I am sold on buying an unpainted set. I'll keep watching! Keep up the great work!

11. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    cant wait to get mine

12. Soundwave3k

They're on the way!

If I make more I will certainly update this post.

13. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

Got mine yesterday. Casting is perfect and flawless! Cant wait to get them painted and attached.

14. Soundwave3k

W00t! I can't wait to see how yours turn out - are you planning on matching them the way I did or doing anything special?

15. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Nice. If you do more I'm in for a painted set. Wish I coulda got down on the first run.

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just got mine today, well worth the money!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT:

Next thing we need is a Radicon to find a way to properly attach the Bruticus Cannons to Onslaught!

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

What do you mean by "properly"?

You seem to have it attached in your pics there... how did you connect it? I found a way to lock them to the backpack pretty solidly, without increasing the backpack kibble too much, but I also just pop the Bruticus head off rather than stowing it (I love that it can integrate, but in the end, it's just so much faster and easier to simply remove it).

[​IMG]Sorry the picture doesn't show it in detail... the launchers are clipped around the hinge for the backpack, by sliding open the expanding section, and then snapping it mostly closed around the hinge. Looks alright.

Pay no mind to the ROTF Stockade head... it's not fully attached yet. I was going to use a G1 head, but I didn't have the heart to decapitate my G1 Onslaught. Maybe I'll order one of yours if you make more. ;) 

zmog

18. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

Dont really know yet :)  I can't decide on a black for Onslaught's head, or that dark green/grey that most of the body is cast in.

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah ok, I just connected mine like this.

[​IMG]

In the other pics, I just jammed it onto the back and it held pretty well. Its just hard to stand onslaught with all that kibble on his back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

When I get home tonight, maybe I'll be able to snap a shot of how I attached the cannon. It's not perfect, but it ends up a little closer to the back.

zmog