Minor/Repaint: Custom MP Thundercracker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by winstorm, Jul 8, 2010.

1. winstorm

winstorm Femme-bot

I felt creative one night and had a extra MP Skywarp sitting around, so I decided to repaint him as Thundercracker. This my second custom figure; the first was activators animated Starscream in g1 colors. He is entirely hand painted with acrylic clear blue, blue pearl, black, white, and red paint. The stripes were done freehand based off of my reissue g1 TC. The name on the base was achieved by taping off the base and airbrushed silver, then stickers were applied over the silver then airbrushed black, and then the stickers were removed. The stickers were the only thing I found that were small enough to fit on the base. (I remembered that I had an airbrush after I'd finished painting the figure :banghead: )
    I know there are some flaws with it, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now all I need is MP Ghost Starscream
    [​IMG]

In case anyone's curious, here's animated Starscream:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. reptileman

reptileman Well-Known Member

:thumbs2: Nice Job!

3. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ditto...this is my next projet

4. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I disagree ^^^, this is not a 'nice' job, people on this board should be able to post constructive cristicism accurately. Lying to someone is just as bad a flaming them.

The color choice is perfect, the blue is beautiful. But I hate to say it looks like a ruined paint job. :( 

Two ideas: try using masking tape to get straight lines, and get some spray paint to re-do the finish with a smoother look. Best of luck!

5. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree.. It's a good start, but at first I thought it was sprayed white (or started as starscream) and colored with a sharpie.

If you've got an airbrush tape off the stripes and hit it again to make the paint job smoother.. It's a good start.. But it looks terribly unfinished..

6. cuters

cuters Diabolist

nice bud good job i,m really hopeing wallmart release,s a mp Thunder cracker like the did Starscream and Skywarp

7. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    being that this is your second project, i say keep going! This will look a lot better when you have the proper tools. as it stands, nobody can properly put stripes on anything by freehand. it just doesn't work. you say you have an airbrush, that's a an awesome thing to have. if you have the chance, try this again. let this stand as a testament to your skills at the time.

8. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree, you're on the right track, just need to work on your technique a bit. Being that its your second figure, you did fairly well. If you do have the airbrush, I recommend using it for the stripes, and get some Tamiya fine line masking tape to lay them out. Scotch "Delicate Surfaces" masking tape (blue) is also your best friend for masking the larger areas, it doesnt bleed and its very easy on your base coats. If you have any questions about airbrushing, dont be afraid to ask. Keep on going man!

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Kudos sir.

Things like this may hurt initially, but it's by far the most useful and helpful comments yet posted.

I too, echo these sentiments.

10. hoshi_1123

hoshi_1123 Drone killer

Ebay:
    I Like the color choices to! but since it's obvious you hand painted this, & if ever your not planning on redoing it with spray, I Suggest you dilute your acrylics & do multiple layer with a bit of wet sanding between layers... it will make the finish almost as smooth as spray painted once you get the technique right... & the use of tape rally works well in getting straighter lines for those stripes... Best of luck!!!

11. reptileman

I thought he did a nice job because I can't do any better.It looks great. I will agree that the paint job could be smoother.I'm not lying about anything.Nothing wrong with being nice.:( 

12. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget that appropriate brush selection is very important as well!
    Head over to your local craft store and buy some good brushes for the type of paint you're using.

I know Michael's (a fairly large chain at least in the north east here) even has the better brushes laid out by what you're going to use them for.

13. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    That looks pretty nice, great job!

14. winstorm

winstorm Femme-bot

Thanks for the comments :)  this was sorta an experiment, i wanted to do something I hadn't done before.
    after looking at it again, i decided I would try repainting the blue with the airbrush so it looks better.

actually, I'm a girl:wink: 

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I like how this came out. It's almost like TC has faded paint. But yes, if you have it available, I'd say have another crack at the figure with your airbrush. The blue pearl is an awesome choice in color for TC as well.

16. reptileman

Sorry for the mistake.:eek: