Custom MP Hot Rodimus/Rodimus Prime

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Scaleface, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

I like it, if nothing else more 3rd party MP style cars are sure to be on the way which gives the fans the characters they want and pressures Takara to do the same. Either way we win :D 

2. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

Because Gigapower has put out something that evidently many people think looks nice.

3. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    So does this. Looks just like the g1 toy, but with better articulation, body scale, etc.

4. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So people are cool with this being a model kit worth of parts-forming to make Rodimus Prime but Daca is terrible for a backpack?

5. ATLMYK

ATLMYK Well-Known Member

Having some styling cue from hot rod is not the same thing as accuracy. This thing looks like sideswipe dressed up as hot rod for halloween, nothing more. Love almost all hot rods and rodimi...not this.

6. ATLMYK

ATLMYK Well-Known Member

MP-10 sized FP Protector would be totally bad ass. Still one of my 3rd party favorites.

7. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Dude it's a fucking work in progress, not a finished piece.

8. TheGame2K5

News Credits:
    Dude its still a pile of parts sitting there in that picture to make him into Rodimus Prime including whole new arms. But hey if you want to pop on entire limbs for your MP Rodimus knock yourself out. I already have a small version of Rodimus that does that, dont need an MP that has even more armor parts.

9. Oshboggy

So ... either all partsforming is acceptable, or no partsforming is acceptable? Without considering the differences or limitations between, say, a Transformer intended to represent one character vs a Transformer who is supposed to pull double duty as another (visually and proportionally different) character? Or the differences and limitations in a ground-up design vs using an existing design as a base?

I am neither knocking nor supporting Kronos or this 3P Hot Rod/Rodimus for partsforming. I am however saying that your reduction of the issue to an all-or-nothing dichotomy is simplistic.

10. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

I'm just wondering out about the brick of a cab in rodimus alt mode. whats that all about?

11. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The official MP Rodimus has a "brick of a cab" as well.

12. gilermo

gilermo Well-Known Member

-Lose the wheels on the arms
    -Skip the the whole Rodimus transformation
    Then i will be all over this.
    I can use mp09 as Rodimus and it will cut devolpment costs and retail price.

13. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Oh, I'm sure that small version of Rodimus of yours looks much better than this...

14. TheGame2K5

News Credits:
    Never said its all or nothing. I personally dont mind partsforming all that much but when it comes to an "MP" figure it becomes a bit too much when im adding entire arms to it. Also I can deal with greater amounts of parts forming it it does something ala FPs Protector armor which at least parts of it made up the trailer. Also I would rather buy a Hot Rod or a Rodimus Prime that can only be one character if that meant a better figure. I also bought the US MP Rodmis because I dont care about trailers that are mostly big boxes that will sit in the back of my shelf. This a neat idea but at the end of the day its still Sideswipe dressed as Hot Rod and I already bought that mold 3x. :) 

15. Oshboggy

The mega partsforming really is a function of their decision to use an existing mould/design as a base and for not just one, but two characters. Too ambitious and practically unfeasible without significant compromises. I wholly agree with having a dedicated Hot Rod because it means no Rodimus considerations to muck things up.

Everything I need to say about this project has been said already by various people; should just have a separate Hot Rod/Rodimus, Hot Rod looks like Sideswipe in cosplay, should build something ground-up instead of remoulding/reshelling, this might be OK if it was cheap as chips and not "normal" 3P prices, hope this lights a fire under TT's ass etc etc. Suffice to say that I'll continue waiting for a proper purpose-built MP Hot Rod to come along.

16. lee9

lee9 Well-Known Member

Excellent point. That's something I would have purchased.

17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Whilst it may sound good in theory downscaling a figure that is already suspect in three main areas is not a good idea. iGear were planning it with MP05 and look what happened there.

18. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think, with a decient colour scheme he might actually look like a cool hot rod. I haven't got him posed well, posing usually make all the difference. At the very least he might make a good classics stand in as he is a cybertronian car, being slightly bigger isnt a huge deal.

19. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

It's MP-9 all over again: they design a Hot Rod and add some parts to simulate a Rodimus Prime :( 

The Hot Rod part sort of works as a MP of the toy. Not perfect, but still recognisable.

The Rodimus Prime part... Well, the robot looks more like Rodimus Prime than MP-9 and that's the only positive thing I can say about it. It looks to have limited articulation and likely can't transform into the truck mode (but neither can MP-9).

Oh, and Hot Rod should have the wheels on the back of his arm (front wheel on the upper arm, aft wheel on the lower arm), while Rodimus can have them on either side (season 3 had them on the back, but the toy and the headmasters cartoon had the front wheel on the front of his upper arms). This figure, has the opposite.

They really need to stop making Rodimus Prime out of Hot Rod. Despite a similarity in basic design/look, there are too many differences between the two. They need to be different molds.

20. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ok I see where you're coming from; you like it because of the MP-12 elements, whereas that's the very aspect turning me off. Guess it would be tough to please us both!
    Exactly. As I said before, if this really were a G1 Hot Rod figure with MP size and articulation I'd be very interested. But it isn't even that.
    Nice summation.