Heavy/Scratch: Custom Movie Nightwatch Optimus Prime Trailer (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ripclaw, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

hi, this is officially my first custom

since this is the first actual one i am working on

it is made from a 12 pack fridge mate rootbeer box, and a rits crackers box so far

anyway here are the pics

i still need to add the door to the trailer, and the wheels, and the other stuff so it can stand on its own, and attatch to nightwatch prime, and paint it

also i need help with what category it goes to. for now it is going into the heavy mods one

Attached Files:

2. luke4

luke4 crocon

u should just try to find a plastic one that is big enough and paint it.....

3. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    yes I agree with him as im sure it will sag once its painted and make it look unsightley

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    its true, the paint will likely make the cardboard get soggy before it dries into a cure. You ARE doing a nice job with what you're doing though. I think its 1:32 scale for the cab? If that's right, then you can get model trucks with trailers that are also to scale for a mere 10-15 bucks all over the place that you could use and then most of the work is done for you.

5. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Very Original, First a Moutain Dew, now Barqs lol Awsome =P

6. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, you could go with a store-bought one, but I appreciate your desire to fabricate something on your own...

Depending on how you let it dry, you might be able to paint it carefully, and have it dry w/o too bad of an issue; as long as you paint it in thin layers...

Or, you could coat it with an epoxy, using the cardboard for structure, then sand & paint the new shell.

You might be able to bastardize an inkpen cylinder (or inkwell tube) into a hookup for the trailer, but you'd have no structural integrity if you still with the cardboard, so it'd just be a display piece...

But really, who here really plays with these things...?

...unless you're bored
    ...or tired...
    ...or you've posed BB in a particularly cool way that day, and he looked so cool that you just had to--

What was I saying again?

7. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

for those who are saying i should buy a truck with a trailer

one problem with that

i dont have the money, but i do have the supplies for making one myself (as for the painting problem i have that part solved already)

that is all im saying for now

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    First off, welcome to Radicons! :)  I think you've done some nice work here! So far, what you have done looks nice, but . . .

. . . I've gotta agree with what REDLINE (and the other Radicons) here says. You'd save yourself a heap of work tracking down a toy or model trailer of some sort and going from there. You may not have $10-15 right now, so just save up. :wink:  You can always make money, but time is the most precious commodity that you will ever have.

*raises hand* :D 

Keep up the good work man, and keep us updated! :thumb 

9. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

thing is, i dont make much money, and i spend what money i do get on transformers (and 64 ounce soda's at am pm)

10. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

here is an update on what i have done

the back end of the trailer is now covered (and wont open)

and i have made and applied one wheel

and until i can get another ritz cracker box, i will only be able to make one more wheel

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    So I was leaving church this afternoon with your work on my mind. Since you drink so many sodas and such, why not use the aluminum for your customs? I think you could make a lot of cool things with it. Anyways, just a suggestion :) 

12. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

dude your work is awesome.:thumb  i have two things for you one you obviously can design so in theory you can make your patterns with the cardboard then transfer them to plastic OK i don't mean styrene like from hobby shops i mean plastic card that can be found in the trash like from old signs. also for the kit basher without funds this is another awesome project and best of all it all you need is to print them out http://digilander.libero.it/papermodels/paper_models.htm

btw guys i could paint on cardboard without it sagging on deforming

13. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    I to have done the painting of Cardboard Testors Spray paint's are good for that.

I did a lot of Carboard work on the Alt scale Metroplex set I was building (If anyone from TT remembers about it, it was a basic W.I.P. at the time) corrugated cardboard is structually the soundest (Solid) form of cardboard to build with.

USPS Proirity boxes are good for spray painting because the white surface has a coating to it that the paint takes to rather well a few coats will achive the color you want.

As for the alt scale Metroplex set... it met an untimely death thanks to a once leaky roof in my project room...

14. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

all the cans were already recycled, and the box was forgotten

also, the box works best for this situation

its shape was perfect (except for the areas i had to cut)

15. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

ok, i have 2 more ritz boxes so i will be able to make the rest of the stuff i need to finish it

now all i need is paint

16. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    Why don't you make it a Barks Root Beer Trailer?

17. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Another less expensive option would be to buy one of those plastic Tupperware-type bread containers. It should be about the right size for a trailer to match Nightwatch Prime, and if not you could cut it to size and use a good epoxy to bond the pieces together.

And with a little more detail work and the proper hardware, you could even design the truck to function like G1 Prime's original trailer.

Check places like yard sales, garage sales, flea markets, and thrift stores and you should be able to find that same kind of plastic container for real cheap rather than buying one new too.

Plastic's a lot more durable than cardboard too. And as others here have mentioned, I think you're going to find cardboard doesn't hold up very well when you start applying paint and glue to it.

Another cheap option would be to use a good duck tape on the whole thing and then paint over that, but then you'd also have seams all over the thing unless you smooth them over with caulk or something. And that might make the exterior so heavy after all that that it caves in and leaves you cursing and swearing at the thing.

But the best thing would be just to go to a thrift store like Goodwill and find a toy truck trailer you can modify to work with it. It'd probably only set you back $1-3 too. I bought a loose Energon Omega Supreme body at Goodwill last month for less than $3, so surely you can find a toy truck trailer there for that price or less.

18. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

If you're not too worried about how the inside would look, and want some reinforcement, you could cut two rectangles of stiff (or doubled/tripled) cardboard and place each one diagonally across the interior of the trailer, so that if you were looking into the trailer from the back they'd form an X across the entire interior space.

To make sure they could cross each other, cut halfway down the length of each piece and slot them into each other.

Alternatively, if you want the interior empty, you could bend lengths of wire coat hanger into a trailer-frame and wrap the cardboard around that...

19. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

i already have the back on it so i wont be able to do your udea geminii

and im thinking about some other stuff, seeing as the tape will stand out when it is panted