Customs: Custom Movie Figures going down in popularity?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by DvDqNoC, Aug 28, 2007.

1. DvDqNoC

DvDqNoC Banned

Do you guys think Custom Movie Figures are going down in popularity? I just sold 3 of my figures (08 BB, Jazz, and Brawl) on eBay and they didnt go for quite as high as I had expected. Now Im not saying im dissatisfied with how the auctiosn turned out, just saying different from my expectations.

My 08 BB went for 76, Jazz for 56, and Brawl for 44.

So what do you guys think? BTW, you can see what my customs look like by clicking on the banner in my profile.

2. optimal_optimus88

optimal_optimus88 Well-Known Member

obviously, the movie hype is pretty much dead.

3. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i'm selling 2 of mine for less than that, and i don't even have any offers.

4. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Your Barricade is currently selling for 3 times it's retail value with 2 more days for more bids. That's not so bad.

You'd have to expect a drop off in some of the inflated prices in general, but quality and originality will still bring a nice price, I'd think.

Interest may spike again with the DVD release and around the holidays. Seems logical.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I think the "market" is getting over saturated with them.

Lots of people are making and selling them on e-bay, more = easier to get = cheaper.

6. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes

1. The hype is dying
    2. The few people who are willing to shell out crazy money for customs have already bought whatever customs that were offered earlier at crazy money prices so less bidding wars

Honestly, those who shelled out hundreds, some even thousands, will regret it soon that they've spent so much.

If you want to make crazy money on customs, put them out right after a movie (insane money spent on LOTR customs after LOTR movies came out, same with Star Wars, and now TFs). Wait unitil the next TF movie. Or GI movie (this is going to be a big one in terms of hype and money spent on customs. I'm sure some of the customizers are foaming at the mouth already just thinking about it)

7. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Bingo.

At this point, more unique features and extra detail in the paintwork are the only way to stand out.

There are usually about 80-100 TF customs of varying quality at any given time on ebay. With that many available, only some of the higher quality work will really sell well. As it should be.

8. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Movie Hype < Annimated Hype

Well atlest thats how I see it.

9. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    I don't see that the popularity is going down. It's just that everyone and their mother is trying to make a buck off of them now. I'm painting mine up, but I'm not going to sell them, therefore they are popular with me.

Painting TF's because you want to keep them FTW.

10. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    My guess is that many paint them selling them of as customs to earn a buck and the market is flooding with movie customs, so much there isn't really something special about it any longer.

11. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yep, I'm keeping mine, except for one. I have a completely different idea for using the Wreckage mold, if I can ever find another one that is. I think there would be a lot of interest in it.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Alot of people can make their own Kitbashes thanks to us.So they don't need our customs anymore.

13. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm only selling my Jazz because I don't like how it came out.

Otherwise, my customs are mine. Back off! :thumb 

14. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

it's not as "special" as it was when there were maybe two people doing it. Now there are a dozen people dumping them on ebay at a time, so supply is essentially outstripping demand. If you have one custom Barricade, you don't need to buy another one.

-hx

15. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

yeah, i think there's less people buying and more people making them to sell. with movie toys being as hard to find as they are you might just be better off saving your paint and selling them in package! haha. anyway, you gotta expect intrest to dwindle as time goes on.

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah right. I don't think you can get $20 for a animated right now for 2 reasons, no one knows what they are (yet) and it has a tiny audience (even when at it's peak)

17. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A lot of reasons have been stated, but the two biggies among them are:
    - Those willing to pay crazy cash are the people who bought their customs as soon as customs were available.
    - A lot of people saw how much those early customs went far, and now everyone and their brother is trying to cash in, flooding ebay with customs.

Speaking of which, I've noticed a lot of people pretty much imitating Jin by making webpages that are "[insert name here] Customs!", trying to latch onto the sort of brandname-esque recongnition that has helped Jin so successful. Btw, I'm not pointing any fingers at you, DvDqNoC. I don't blame anyone for trying to make some cash with ebay customs after seeing the initial success others were having, but that was before any real competition.

I'd say if you're looking to make some spare change doing customs, shoot for toy-lines/characters that not everyone is doing right now (i.e., Movie repaints) and give them something that makes them unique.

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:

Give it a rest dude. I can claim Jin or someone else even copied me. I was custom repainting figures 15 years ago. I've called them Mike's Customs since then. Yes, some people are great, and some ripoff others, some get inspiration from others, some imitate. You're not the judge, so I don't think it's cool or fair to point a finger and use a name, claiming so-and-so ripped someone else off.

It's simple. A few sellers made bank with a few customs. Everyone's trying to cash in. I say...LET them! more compition, more diversity, more of a market. It's great.

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    And while we are on the subject, people pay more for quality and originality. If you want to make more money with a repaint, make it a custom repaint. if you want to make a LOT of money, put some time into training and technique, before throwing some crap on ebay. If you aren't happy with the $$$ you brought in, either you're in the wrong market, you need more practice, or your product just isn't as good as the ones rolling in the cash.

My customs are taking weeks to complete. And they show it. I use a frikkin brush with 3 hairs sticking out of it. My paint is usually 4-5 layers of shading.

I used to paint for McFarlane about 10 years ago. The initial paint jobs there would take 1 guy a good 30 hours. And that's just painting. So, in the end, if you want to make money...put some passion, time, and customization into your product.

If you don't love making it, chances are your potential customers won't love it ...period.

20. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Lots of good points here.

Those just trying to cash in are probably not going to fetch big ending bids. It's hard to hide low quality. It's pretty easy to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

The mediocre to bad stuff keeps getting relisted over and over or sells for very little while the higher quality work sells for sometimes high and often fair prices, IMHO.

Customs reaching higher prices usually show a high level of craftsmanship, originality, time and effort. The rest are just that. The rest.