Custom Made Desktops

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by r0guearmy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. r0guearmy

r0guearmy Wizrd. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So, I've got two busted laptops that I hook up to my TV every now and then, and a netbook that I rely on for every day use. None of these provide me with much power, and I have to use the different computers to run different programs. That said, I'm looking to put together a desktop computer that can handle all of my needs, while still using my netbook for on-the-go computing. I've decided on putting one together because I like choosing all of my options and it'd be more rewarding to make my own than just go out and pick a computer.
    I've replaced RAM, hard drives, and USB ports, but other than that I don't have much experience with computer hardware. I've done some googling on how to put one together, but a lot of what I'm reading is complicated and and grossly technical. Has anyone here put together a computer? I'm not trying to put together a supercomputer, just something with nice hard drive space, processing power, and media capabilities. I don't do much pc gaming (I rely on consoles for that), but I would like something that can handle HD videos. I'm looking for tips, advice, and suggestions on how to go about this. Thanks for any help.

edit - I found some guides that helped me understand some of the technical jargon that comes with CPUs and Motherboards, and managed to pick out most of the components I think I might be getting.

Processor - Intel Core i5 750 (2.66 GHz 8 MB)
    Motherboard - Intel DP55KG
    Memory - Crucial 4GB (2GBx2) 10600 DIMM DDR3
    Video Card - Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
    Optical Drive - Samsung Internal Blu-Ray
    Hard Drive - Western Digital 1TB Green SATA 64 MB Cache
    Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU - 750TX
    Cooling Fan - Corsair Hydro H50

I still need to pick out a case, and with my current configurations I'm looking at around $930.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Putting together a new pc isn't very difficult, but it can be annoying to make sure that everything you get will work with everything else. I found this tool on the site from the store that I buy most of my parts from, and it is pretty good in telling me what is available and compatible with what I am trying to buy.

Memory Express Computer Products Inc. - Computer Parts & Laptop Computers in Canada

When it comes to putting it all together, pc's are so plug and play at this point it seems, that if you can put ram in, you're going to be able to add everything else. The only part that I think will give you issues is installing the cpu and cooling fan, as this requires adding thermal paste, and is probably the most tricky aspect (though it's really not that bad). If you've got a computer parts store near you, they might be able to do it for you for a fairly small fee, or even free if you are buying the parts from them.

3. r0guearmy

r0guearmy Wizrd. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Something about "thermal paste" tells my brain that this is going to take a little longer to get the hang of before I can get this done. I've tried looking at good desktops that can handle some gaming and come with the right specs, but so far no dice. Some devices sound incredibly awesome, but have reviews that say the machines would all arrive defective and customer service is crap. Some have everything but a graphics card that could handle some moderate game graphics, and some just don't have the powerful processors that I want.