Customs: Custom Made Cabinets/Displays Ideas?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by JavaJim, Apr 24, 2011.

1. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

I'm going to have some custom cabinets/displays/bookshelves/<insert other descriptor here> made for my Transformer collection. I have about 100" wide of space I plan on using for it, and I can easily go up to 30" deep if I wanted. Any suggestions for how you would build a case for a scene based display area couple with standard line breakdowns?

Haven't talked to the guys building it yet, but wanted to get ideas before I met with them.

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going with my usual make unicron's head as the display case...

3. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

lol

I seriously thought about putting in joints so I could have it transform, but think the goal is to maximize the space, while having other capabilities such as sliding backgrounds or varied lighting.

Was hoping others could give me some ideas or point me to other custom displays to follow/pattern the design after.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like the idea of custom lighting, but that also means highlighting dust. I learned that the hard way, and why opting for a bookcase that had glass doors was a great investment for me.

Other than that, you could always think of making several small ones & pinning them all over your room (like 1-3 transformers per platform), as that would allow you to space things out very well, regardless of your collection's size or mix. Along with that, you could also look into hanging or swing like bases, as they'd incorporate the platform into your design as well, not just the figures that're on them.

Then if you're looking for more solid & abundant bases (such as one or 2 larger units that can be varied), what about having movable/removal platforms within the larger shelves? I mean that way, you could have a riser type scene to fill more of the upper space. Glass bottoms would be preferable (as you would be able to work deeper & lower), but it's really depending on budget & preference.

Still though, if I was living somewhere more permanent (I guess I am right now, but I'll likely be moving within the net 2 years), I'd opt for smaller shelves all around my space instead of "just" having a central/main unit, and I'd look to enclose as much of them as possible with glass or otherwise transparent dust shields.

5. Roxxstar

Roxxstar Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Check over on the Collection forums. I was checking them out and a few guys have these AMAZING displays you could pull ideas from.
    Or if you want basic, you can see the two Ikea ones I use atm over on Napjr's thread in Creative General about building an KO-Ikea cabinet; probably on page 3 by now.