Custom made Audio Cassette Transformers For Sale

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by whodagoose, Jul 23, 2007.

1. whodagoose

whodagoose Member

Hello,

I don't want to do it, but I have to let go of my custom made transforming audio cassettes. They are a unique casting in plastic and both fully functional and fit inside Soundwave (who is included in the auction)

Here is the direct link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130136248097

If the link doesn't work just search for this:
    "Transformers G1 Custom made audio Cassettes > Soundwave"

Here are pics (more in auction):

Viperclaw:
    [​IMG]

Terrorpin:
    [​IMG]

I hope you like them and enjoy! If you like my custom art check out my web site. Thank you!

2. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

those are both just brilliant. Sorry to hear you're parting with em. Hope they get the top dollar they deserve.

3. whodagoose

whodagoose Member

Thank you, I'm glad you like'em!

Back when I first showed them off, I got offers around $75-$100 each. But I said no, for the sake that from sculpting to molding, casting, and assembling it was around a week of my time.

They take a LOT of hand work from the mold to get all the parts together and functional, too much for them to be considered mass producible (they're just prototypes). About 50+ hours for them, so even on the high end thats less than $4.00 per hour of my time...not including the costs of supplies, tools, and waste materials that went into making them...ugh. Still got the molds, so maybe if somebody wanted to commission me to make them in a custom color I could go back to the mold for them... But that'd have to be a high price for that...

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    they look a bit messy (I cant tell what the second one is) but they're much better than I could ever do. I've done quite a bit of sculpting myself, and getting ANYTHING to transform into a proper tape is damn near impossible. the second one has a really innovative transformation too. I'm impressed.

5. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Terrorpin...Grateful Dead reference there? Being a Dead Head (despite my signature I do listen to other kinds of music) I'd love to have that, but I just can't afford it right now. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  6. whodagoose

whodagoose Member

Back then I was using run of the mill carving wax. Now I've learned to use dental wax (much stronger and holds greater detailing), the strength of the dental wax requires super heat to melt, so I had to pick up a $300 digital waxing pen to cut and melt it...

But back with the carving wax on these guys. The Sea turtle was made with 4 individual layers of 1mm thick carving wax, and each thin brick would shatter if too much pressure was applied (thick flicking it gently to shatter it like glass) so it required EXTREME delicate carving to cut each layer right...then I had to merge 3 out of 4 layers together before molding (melt together, without overheating...). Then the two layers were molded and casted, then sealed together so they can hold the head in place. I liked designing it so it folds in half. No other Cassette transformer folds in half...I wanted some kind of bulky one, and that I got. I had a grizzly bear designed, but never executed it.

Lots of work...to much. But now I know a lot better and could improve them if I ever revisited the molds, as you can see from the 2004 copyright...

I always like showing what I do from concept to completion. Right now on my tzardz.com site I've got all the concept art and finished drawings for the robots on the site. Late in the fall I'll be offering plastic figures from an eBay store...WAY later I plan on making articulate toys...and possibly ones that collapse from their robot animals into their orb shapes... We'll see... The Marble Meckah I make on my site remind me of the designing skills that were needed to make these Cassette transformers, it takes some thinking on how to collapse down a robot animal into a geometric primitive (Feel free to friend me on my deviantART and Live Journal accounts off of the site!)

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I like the turtle one...very original.