Repro/Sticker: Custom Kit: Cerebros Head

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by robofreak, Jun 30, 2009.

1. robofreak

robofreak Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I'm putting this figure together for silentdarth.

It's one of those RSP Master Heads, but after exmaning the parts, I'm beginning to think it's a recast. Here's my reasoning:

1. Finer details are obscured

2. Casting is uneven in some areas

3. rough patches

4. The holes for the tubing and screws are not drilled in

So far, I've cleaned the parts to get any residue off and I've started sanding out all the uneven areas. Most of the head has been evened out and I've smoothed out the roughness of the rounded areas to make them more smooth. There are a couple of pin holes to take care of, but I'll do that after primer. I've also started clean up on the legs.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i would be tempted to get this for my fort max...that is if i had cerebros :( 

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    probably not a recast. RSP's quality was shit.

4. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I got it from another user here at TFW. I appreciate you taking on the job as my skills are nowhere near good enough for this. I am so eager to see him completed.

5. robofreak

Either way, it doesn't bother me too much. I like this kind of work. Resin GK's are my favorite type of kit and this suits the bill quite nicely.

silentdarth: Hopefully, I'll be able to get him to your satisfaction. My goal here is to make him look less like something that was homemade and more like something that was machined and produced. It will take some effort, but he should look pretty good after all is said and done.

6. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    You have a formidable task ahead of you.
    That's why the original cast should be decent.
    I've read many things about RSP's casting.
    None too complimenting.

7. robofreak

The parts are in need of a recorrection. What that means is that nothing fits right at all and I need to do some creative modifications. I've started by drilling the holes and sizing the hole so the tubing and screw will lock in place.

I first drilled in a hole using the largest dril on my pin vice. The drill wasn't large enough, but I had a screw driver that could do the rest of the work. (Yes, I am loony enough to drill into plastic with a screwdriver) I then drilled into the arms using the same method. The tubing now fits snug and will create a nice and tight joint once the screw is in place. I didn't take a picture of the screw in place, but it does fit properly and the arm will hold. The one arm looks out of place, but that's because it's laying down. The arms do fit properly.

[​IMG]

As many of you can see, many of the details have been obscured due to bad molding. I still need to do quite a bit of cleaning still to noticeably rough areas, but I should be able to rescribe all the dulled details. It's just a matter of etching everything back into place.

Tomorrow I'll start drilling the legs and I'll continue with cleaning up and realigning the resin

8. silentdarth

Ebay:
    I am so far very pleased and think you're doing a great job. I am excited.

9. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those tubes and bolts from RSP, they give me nightmares. And their casting IS sh*t.
    I'd do a full recast of an original Spike, then adapt the Cerebros' face into it. And I'm not sure about the bolts, I'd use some trimmed nails (I've used them in my RSP Arcee, in the lower legs - it looks much better and more stable).

10. robofreak

Okay, 5 hours of sanding and a whole lot of drilling later... The parts are starting to fit properly.

[​IMG]

Now that I've got a better idea of how everything fits together, I can turn my focus towards recreating all of the lost detail. As you can see, I've started scribing the major chest details and am rebuilding from there.

I may not be able to do too much with the face though. My hands aren't steady enough to drill out and resculpt, but the torso, legs, and arms are going to look great.

The next phase is primer followed by more sanding and... more primer!

11. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    I never get bored of these.

12. bumble3

bumble3 Member

Didn't rsp try to pass one of these off as a rare prototype and wanted a boatload of money for it?

13. silentdarth

Ebay:
    Awesome.

14. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

i got a black set from ebay, yes the quality was poor but the price wasn't so bad. it does take a lot of post process work to make it look decent,

you can already see that the screws included are too long for some areas, i had to cut them with wire cutters.

15. aurascope

Ebay:
    that's why you got it cheap, you are practically scratch-building with this.

16. robofreak

Okay, the first coat of primer has been applied. Now I can get a better feel for what's going on.

I still have a little bit of work left for the head, but the torso and upper legs are my main concern at the moment.

During a test assembly I noticed that the bottom of Spike's pelvis lines up with the Cerebros head. I'm going to try and figure out how to make that seam line dissapear. I feel this will make a more asthetically pleasing look when trasnformed into the head.

[​IMG]

For now, back to sanding.

17. silentdarth

Ebay:
    You're doing an amazing job my friend.

18. robofreak

Lots and lots of sanding and filling.

[​IMG]

Most people would have given up by now, but I'm a sucker for hard to do kits.

I didn't take pics of everything because the progress isn't as noticeable on them. These parts give you a pretty good idea of all the extra sanding and whatnot that I've been doing. I've evened out Spike's chest to make it more machined and less "sculpted". Still rescribing panel lines and stuff onto the body and leg areas.

The Cerebros face portion is almost ready for paint. I just need to apply another coat of primer and it will be all set.

19. aurascope

Ebay:
    you need to recast that before you assemble!

20. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

x2!