Heavy/Scratch: Custom Generations Springer with Triple Change Feature

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MintCondition, Aug 25, 2011.

1. MintCondition

MintCondition Autobot Cartoonist

Ebay:
    Hello everyone.

To see more photos and read a more detailed description of the process, check here ----> :: Mint Condition Customs: Transformers Generations Springer (Triple Changer)::

I've seen Springer made before using the Generations Tomahawk figure as a base, but this one was still an incredibly hard challenge, because my client insisted on him being a triple changer and having a car mode just like the original figure (and just like in the animated movie). I knew it would be tough, but I took it on! And here is the result. Springer was made entirely from a Tomahawk, with the wheels and feet taken from a Generations Blurr.

The first step before any painting was to be done was to figure out how I would make him a triple changer. I fiddled around with the figure for several hours trying to figure out how to give him a car mode while still making him look mostly like a helicopter (a request from the client). I figured out the best way to do this but I needed to do some sanding first. I dremeled out a large portion out of the back of Springer's legs so I could make them fold up into themselves for the car mode. I also had to do a bit more sanding to get his shoulders to spin around the way I needed them to for the car mode. I took the wheels from Blurr and modified them to fit Springer. The front wheels are attached inside his cannons on the underside of his wings (the missile firing action had to be sacrificed) and the back wheels are attached to the inside of his feet. I also decided to give Springer feet! As cool as the Tomahawk figure is, he did look weird with those almost bird-like feet of his. I wanted him to have actual robot feet. So I took the feet from Blurr, modified them, and attached them to Springer. They're actually attached on a hinge at the toes, so they can flip out and he can still be transformed. Another small feat of engineering I had to tackle.

I altered his helicopter blades as well, this time giving him just two blades that can be detached and held in his hands like swords. The entire propellor comes off as well and can easily be reattached. I padded the base of the blades so they could fit easier in Springer's hands.

After that I worked on the head. The head is actually from Tomahawk with the visor popped off. I wanted to use this head as a base so it could still fold up inside the body and wouldn't be too big. I sculpted on top of it, giving it the same shape and look as that of Springer and used styrene for the fin on top of his head. After all the grunt work was done with building and redesigning Springer, I started painting.

All paints used were Testors Model Masters. I masked off the glass on his cockpit and went to work painting him with various shades of green, black, and gray with some areas highlighted with yellow, all the time trying to best match Springer's original color scheme. After that I gave him some silver dry brushing on the black and gray parts to give it a realistic look, and gave him realistic scuffing on the edges of his body. I finished Springer off with a reprolabels Autobot symbol and declared him finished! This was one incredibly challenging custom with all the redesigning and engineering I had to do to him, but I'm very happy with how he turned out, and very glad to finally see another Triple Changing Springer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking everybody!

Attached Files:

2. devastation

devastation TFW2005 Supporter

that is one sweet custom.

3. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    this is great!

4. KRZTFR

KRZTFR Well-Known Member

love how the car mode 1 is more tank like keeping inline with the combat helicopter and green paint sceme also 2 looks like the tumbler from batman

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I literally uttered, "Whoa, that's cool!" when I saw the alt mode. Great work :thumb 

6. rohrerprime25

rohrerprime25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    man that is soooooooooooooooooooo cool keep up the good work :) 

7. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Incredible work. Love the cheeky smile on springers face. The car mode is fantastic.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Man, this is inspired and very well done. Great job. :thumb 

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    nice

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ditto here!!!

fantastic job!

11. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

Dude that is flippin amazing dam good my friend

12. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

This is very impressive. It is unusual to see such a good integration of modes to create a triplechanger.

The use of the missile launchers as the wheel connectors is very ingenious!

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Heh, that actually works rather nicely. I'd like to see a Sandstorm just like this as well.

14. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Where do the wheels on the ankles end up in robot mode?

15. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    that works really well. Still not my favorite bot mode of the line, but it definitely works.

16. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

Dude this came out awesome! I cant decide what I like best, the two completey diffrent alt. modes OR the massive improvement on the robot feet...

17. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Same here. This is amazing

18. imoff2186

imoff2186 Well-Known Member

Awesome!

19. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Dude!!! Outta the park on this one!!

20. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Really cool man and impressed you managed a 3rd mode out of him. I love the original mold as he really looks like Autovolt from Galaxy Force only cooler