Customs: Custom G1ish Ark Concept

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by BANZAI, Feb 28, 2017.

  1. BANZAI

    BANZAI Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2017
    Posts:
    46
    Trophy Points:
    17
    Likes:
    +35
    Ebay:
    I've been thinking about building a small (coffee table sized) Transformers spacecraft that could be a good playset for my kids. I was thinking about using two 25 gallon plastic trash cans as the base, carve them open to join together and build some sort of hinge that would allow them to unfold.

    The surface wouldn't be too tough. I plan to use concentric PVC pipe for the thrusters and add surface detail with bits of plastic rubbish and score the rest in a gridline pattern. The toughest part, IMO, will be the hinge mechanisms and ensuring that it all lines up nicely when closed.

    Has anyone tried anything like this? Off the top of my head, junker Star Wars ships would be good sources of material for starter detail. I would call it "the Ark" even though it might not resemble it much other than being a big brown TF ship with giant thrusters on the back.
     
  2. BANZAI

    BANZAI Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2017
    Posts:
    46
    Trophy Points:
    17
    Likes:
    +35
    Ebay:
    I have some materials collected and I will post some images soon. I plan to start on this over the weekend.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BANZAI

    BANZAI Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2017
    Posts:
    46
    Trophy Points:
    17
    Likes:
    +35
    Ebay:
    Here are the base materials, all various plastics, including sheet and tube styrene of various sizes (not pictured):

    20170423_164139.jpg

    The clothes hamper will be the body of the craft. I plan to reinforce each "corner" with additional plastic and weld it together with a soldering iron. For this, I have two 25 gallon trash cans (not pictured) that I will cut into strips the same length as the hamper. The hamper lid will hold the engines and will swing up with a prop to hold open (still working on design for that bit).

    20170423_164132.jpg

    Additional materials for the details are shown above. I plan to use that black thing under the toy boat (it's a car seat base) as the foundation for the cockpit/shuttle front. I still need to find a large, clear or translucent canopy assembly on a hinge that can work for the cockpit. The rest I intend to mold/shape. The two Tupperware bins with the red lids will be doors/airlocks on the sides. The clear bin with a latch top will be for access to the top of the shuttle and I plan to mount some sort of technical components to it. The cutting boards and drain pan are for flooring or siding (panels, etc) and will be chopped up significantly. The two blue dust pans will be raw material for shaping the front of the shuttle's nose/cockpit/bridge area. The purple thing is the base of a baby toy and is thick plastic for bridge parts. The toy boat is... a life pod? We will see on that one if the hull might be useful. The baby food container has a great little hinged door and will be an extra airlock somewhere. The coffee cans will be engine housing/outer cowls. I have loads of other smaller, soft plastic containers that may be useful as well.

    Tools on hand:

    Heat gun, soldering iron, hot glue gun, hobby knives/blades, razor saw, jewel saw, Dremel, plastic cement, super glue, various putties and epoxies, power sander, pin vise and drill bits, dental picks....
     
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. vidmouse

    vidmouse Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Posts:
    916
    Trophy Points:
    122
    Likes:
    +29
    Interesting. I love big playsets.
     
  5. BANZAI

    BANZAI Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2017
    Posts:
    46
    Trophy Points:
    17
    Likes:
    +35
    Ebay:
    Progress report:

    I've collected some more nice components including a large , clear hinged-lid container for the shuttle canopy. I also scored a strong plastic base to connect the bridge to the fuselage. It fits perfectly, but I'm working out the clearances for the opening, etc. I don't care about this being perfect, but still want to derive a bit of satisfaction for a job that looks pretty good. I will try to post some pics today after a little welding of the superstructure.
     
  6. BANZAI

    BANZAI Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2017
    Posts:
    46
    Trophy Points:
    17
    Likes:
    +35
    Ebay:
    As promised, with photos of the current status. I included some close-ups of the welds. If you want to learn how to do it, look up "plastic welding" on YouTube. I used a soldering iron.
    20170430_223550.jpg
    This purple thing is a cheap digger/grabber toy that I scavenged. I split it and glued the two halves side by side and them welded them together and to the base of the nose. It will make a good bone structure for the nose of the spacecraft.

    20170430_214115.jpg

    Before I added the nose bits.

    20170430_134512.jpg
    Before I cut and molded the hamper and bridge together.

    20170430_160847.jpg
    Used a jigsaw, heat gun, and followed with the soldering iron.

    Weld close up: 20170430_134550.jpg
     
  7. BANZAI

    BANZAI Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2017
    Posts:
    46
    Trophy Points:
    17
    Likes:
    +35
    Ebay:
    20170507_210418.jpg The updated back (bay door off) without the top hatch added

    20170507_210443.jpg This is the current state of the bay. Still more work to do on the walls, side door, and roof.

    20170507_210455.jpg Opening side door

    20170507_210608.jpg Front, no walls or top canopy yet
     

Share This Page