Minor/Repaint: Custom G1 Masterpiece (ish) Trailbreaker

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by payton34, Jan 29, 2010.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off, a HUGE thanks to Sculpt-bot for the custom head/force field generator and blaster.

Ingredients:
    - One 1:24 Roadbot Hummer H2 SUT
    - Testors Flat Black, Gunship Gray, Steel, and some other touch-ups here and there
    - Set of Reprolabels
    - (again) Custom Head/Force field generator/blaster from Sculpt-bot

...and a lot of love. :cool: 

I call this "Masterpiece-ish" because I am STILL trying to get some articulated hands for it. 1/100 hands are too small, 1/60 are too large, but I've had this thing basically finished except for the hands so I'll go ahead and present it as-is. Later, once I find the perfect set of hands, I'll update the thread.

So, without further adieu, I give you...Masterpiece Trailbreaker!

As always, comments & critiques are welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. payton34

News Credits:
    Alt mode pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. payton34

News Credits:
    The gang's (mostly) all here!!

[​IMG]

4. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

Looks awesome! I love the Huffer you have in that group pic too.

5. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Beautiful! :thumb  You've salvaged a figure that was destined to shelf-warm for all of eternity & dragged ol' Trailbreaker kicking & screaming into the 21st Century :D . Kick-ass job Payton!

Since I know squat-all about Roadbots, I was wondering - Does he have any balljoints? Is that mold's articulation as limited as it seems? No wonder Roadbots warm plenty of shelves around my parts...

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow, when I saw the original pics, I didn't think that the figure's bot mode would look that nice, but it REALLY does. well done payton!

7. payton34

News Credits:
    Thanks guys!

There weren't any balljoints that I could see. As far as movement goes, the shoulders can move up/down and sideways (no diagonal movement). The legs bend at the knees, the feet pivot foward/backward at the ankle joint, the forearms bend up/down and swivel left to right. There is no movement in the hands (for now, hopefully I'll soon get some gundam hands that are the right size). The head can move up/down and side to side. No waist movement, and the upper legs can move forward and can (just barely) move side to side.

8. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Safe to say you did all you could to make the mold look as good as it does. It's nice to see a 1:24 car transformer that's not an Alternator. However, you could still just use Alternator hands, right?

9. payton34

News Credits:
    I'm not familiar with all of the figures in the Alternator line, but most of the ones I've seen have the same type of hands and those would be a bit too big. The hands still have to collapse into the forearm for transformation.

10. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Then saw off a pinky =P or even also his ringfinger, like TMNT hands. Alternators Tracks' hands even had swivel-holes in them already..

11. jazz1914

jazz1914 moonbase survivor

very nice!

12. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    That's a good use of a non "transformer" transformable robot. The flat black paint job couldn't have been easy to make as smooth as it appears. It's consistent mostly everywhere except the doors in alt mode. It looks as if there were too many coats applied to the point where some of the detail from the mold is filled in with the paint instead of just coating it. This could be because of the mold itself though which I'm guessing was inferior to a Hasbro/Takara toy.

There are a number of areas where the original yellow color show through and have been left unpainted like the door sills, inside the wheel wells, the pegs the wheels connect to, and the underside of the roof of the vehicle which are prevalent in both robot and alt modes.

It looks as if there is some glue residue between the grill and the hood as its a different shade of black. The joints on the arms have been half painted as well which leaves their individual pieces undefined. I don't know if the figure came out of the box like this, but the paint on the windshield isn't straight either. I would recommend using painters masking tape to get those lines nice and straight. A little more paint in the corner lights to fill in the silver areas would have been a nice touch.

Some of your photos are blown out by flash and others unfocused with no discernible depth of field but the lighting you used is pretty even in most of them. I'd say your first and second photos are the best.

The overall color scheme is very balanced and compliments the character and the original trail breaker very nicely, and overall he fits in perfect with your other G1 renditions. Your flat painting style is consistent across the board. Nice work.

7/10

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    While I'd still place this guy in the "Alternators" category, overall your work is really nice! I think others have already offered you some really fair constructive criticism, so I'll try not to repeat comments.

I think a gloss black for the car shell would work better. Also, I'm not sure why you totally blacked out the rear doors' glass. I think the hands you're wanting will help out too. The details on the legs are nice. Obviously, the concept and the amount of Trailbreaker appreciation are what make this project shine.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work :thumb 

14. payton34

News Credits:
    The "glass" was already a solid orange on the original figure, and when I took it apart I couldn't get to it at a good angle to cut a space out without making it look like I hacked it up.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ah gotcha :thumb 

16. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I modded the 1:24 Jaguar Roadbot to accept the hands from the Viper mold. They fold up well into the forearms. I've never seen the Hummer Roadbot though, so I can't say if it would work. Speaking of which, where did you get it? KO toys?

17. Hash Prime

Hash Prime Well-Known Member

damn..nice looking trailbreaker..well done bro..well done..

18. payton34

News Credits:
    No, the only place I could find this particular H2 mold (the SUT model) was from an Ebay seller in the UK.

I've got a pair of articulated hands on the way, hopefully I'll get them within the next couple of days and update the thread.

19. jcartwork

jcartwork Well-Known Member

hey this is classic love it

20. makoaspire

makoaspire Well-Known Member

While I consider Wheel Jack's Trailbreaker to be the definitive mod for TB http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/303332-trailbreaker.html to be the definite mod for TB. Since Headrobots Big Road appears extremely unlikely to happen, I thought payton34's Roadbot version was a good alternative and a lot easier project to try and tackle. Especially for my first kitbash/mod. I just had some modifications that I felt needed to be made to that version.

I really wanted to see the windshield as part of the chest in bot mode. I also hated the stock arms/hands and the stock legs since they didn't articulate very well. Still not totally happy with the arms that I made (a little too long) but the compartment for the arms in alt mode dictated what I could do.

My parts list:
    1:24 Roadbot Hummer
    Alternators Sunstreaker (Forearms/Hands,Hips & Hood hinge)
    Fall of Cybertron Cliffjumper (Midarm swivels)
    G1 Topspin (for the main part of the Head)
    Quickcolor Flat Black Spray Paint
    Super Sculpey (for the 'earmuffs' on the Head)
    Testors Acrylic Model Paints

Comments welcome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]