Custom G1 Boxes, any interest?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blue Meanie, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Gauging interest one last time in having these boxes produced before I give up on them. I made another batch, I get occasional interest and then it seems to fade. If not I'll just finish the rest for my myself. Let me know if anyone is interested, you can see them in the link below.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=159878

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    How much would they be? If they're reasonable, I want one for Tracks and Sideswipe.

3. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I'm a bit suprised at how well the Re-issue art looks with the G1 box design. They're almost as cool as the original G1's. I would very much like to see how the Kup version turned out, as I thought he had the most interesting re-issue art.

I can't say I have much need for Custom Boxes. But, if you are looking for a way to push them; I have a suggestion. Rather then just sell the box, sell a complete figure with custom box. Pick a trial character, lets say Jazz. Buy 5 re-issue Jazz, or put together a set of nice figures from G1 Junkers. Then sell them on ebay or where ever. Take all the money you get from those, and get 10 figures. Keep doing that until you have a run of figures you are comfortable with.

Could you post a pic of the front of the box you've done for Kup? I know you haven't done the actual box, the CG is fine.

4. Blue Meanie

Not sure how much they would be, totally depends on the volume. Thing is I don't want to make it a business or take a huge amount of my time to do these. I wanted to make them and sell them at cost, plus whatever it is to ship them. I have had quotes from $20-$45 a piece, but as low as $5 for volume print runs. I just want to get a whole 85-86 set plus a few bonus boxes done, just like the originals and die-cut for a reasonable price. The only reason I was going to get them made for a lot of people was to get them cheap myself, and thought it would be cool to offer them to the fandom cheap too. If there is no interest anymore than no way I am gonna spend $20+ per box. Well probably not. I am pretty happy with how these came out so I don't see a reason to spend crazy money on them. The Kup box is done but I used different artwork, all it needs is for me to take the pics of the toy. Here's it almost done, I am going to change it from saying "Transforms from pickup truck", to "Transforms from Old Ass pickup truck to Robot and back"
    [​IMG]

5. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I would like a Starscream one for my classics figure if you are ever planning on making one for him. Let me know what you think. Either way though man those boxes you have made are really amazing stuff.

6. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lots of interest from me!!

7. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be interested in a Grapple box for my loose G1...

8. Blue Meanie

I am making a box for starscream that will be able to be upsized for Classics, original, and masterpiece.

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't mind a Trailbreaker. But it'd have to be less than $15 for me to bite. It's just a box so I couldn't/wouldn't pay much more than that....

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    actually shouldn't Kup's box say "Transforms from Pickup Truck to Old Ass Robot and back"?

11. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Or "Futuristic Pickup to Old Ass Robot & Back"?

I might have some interest in a little, tiny box for some of my mini-bots (Huffer & Wheelie mainly), but not so much for my larger figures (which are either reissues, to which I have the boxes for them, or G1's that aren't in the best condition). They are amazing looking however, excellent work again!

12. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Any chance of sharing the IDW pics (or links to the pics) you used for those of us with other, different Photoshop purposes for them?

(If I had any G1 figures, I'd be interested, but alas...)

13. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I doubt I could afford the ones I'd like right now. I'd want the following boxes:

Sideswipe
    Jazz
    Prowl
    Tracks
    Bluestreak

I could possibly trade stuff, but it's just too much cash to drop on some boxes at the moment.

14. Blue Meanie

Perfect! Changed and done.

15. Blue Meanie

I definitely could, but the files are huge, each bot pic is around 50 meg. There isn't enough real interest for the boxes to get them printed for $5-$10, so I am basically starting a tutorial on how to make them (took some pics today). They display perfect so it will be good enough. Problem is I haven't made a website in 10 years, and don't even know if its even possible to host 50-300meg files for download. Making CD's for everyone is way too much work. I need to figure that out, and what type of webpage to make the tutorials. I am trying to get my hands on some wrecked and worthless boxes for toys like Jetfire and the seeker jets to make the templates. Someone measured one for me and I made a blank but they didn't come out right, the ehobby seeker bubble didn't fit inside the box. So I need all those to make a variety of boxes. Making minibot boxes would be real easy, but I am making cards for them and the Decepticon tapes right now, since KO bubbles for them are plentiful.

16. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I'd suggest putting the images into ZIP format. You can compress quite a bit that way and it might help you out some. There are also ways of breaking the files down into different parts to distribute through several ZIP files. Once you have each individual part downloaded, you can unzip them all into the one large image file. I'll see if I can find any sites that give you tons of free space to work with.

Just trying to help ya out, bro. If i had the money, I'd jump on this now, but it might be fun to play around once you post up the tutorial.

17. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Yeah, go with the tutorial for this. I think it will be cheaper for everybody just to attempt to make them on their own also at their own pace. And I'm sure there's a ton of people who know how to make websites. I'm sure someone will step up to the plate. I sure as hell don't know. Someone? Please?

18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Other than uploading the files, you could just start a thread in the customs forum about how to make the boxes. Then the thread could be added to the kitbashers resources sticky thread. As for the file hosting you might be able to host it through a service like yousendit or something like that.

BM - is it the pictures that are 50 - 300 Megs in size or the photoshop project file? As these are intended to be large in size, Im sure the final image would be rather large as well.

19. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I'd pay for a burned CD with all the bot pics on it... :confused2 

20. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey Blue,
    Been trying to get ahold of you. Got some progress on what we talked about.

Here is the layout that will be tested.
    [​IMG]

email me