Customs: Custom Devastator WIP/Help thread

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jeremy.B, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey guys, finally got things settled down and getting back into getting into bashing. I feel pretty confident in my painting abilities, but I have decided to build a customs devvy in the same vain as Pitvite's original and others that have followed. I have a fairly good idea of what I want to do with it, some will be similar and other areas will be different, but I want to put my own stamp on it.

If you guys have any tips/ideas/suggestions, please let me know. This is not to be sold, for my collection only. As I get better down the road I may venture into that area if I am good enough, otherwise I just want to build on this hobby for my sole interest. I will update this thread as a WIP thread as I move forward, but at this point I am working on procuring the basic figures and joints/arms/hands/body etc. So any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

2. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    I am sorry there SunnyD, but could you be alittle more specific on what kind of help you are looking for?
    Do you need to know which figures to use?
    How to make the connections? (which you know is a closely guarded secret).
    What materials will be needed or can be substituted?

3. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Sorry, yeah guys a little more specific would be a good thing huh? Mostly the connection aspect. I don't necessarily need to know how that has been done on some of these other customs, but some general ideas or tips. I think most of the other stuff I can figure out as I go, but having the bots connect is gonna be a bear to figure out.

4. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Macross - also some suggestions on what figures to use. I think movie grindcore/cybertron landmine and energon demolisher are givens. I am browsing looking as we speak.

Let me reiterate that I am NOT trying to steal anyone else's ideas or customs, I am merely tremendously inspired to build my own set of combiners. I am pretty good with the painting stuff, so it will be waaaay cheaper to build my own :D 

You guys have amazing talent!

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I have all the answers. Please sign below on the dotted line.

I, ........................... pledge to sell my soul for the knowledge of the Gestalt connectors.

:lolol 

6. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    :lolol  dude that is so wrong :lol  :bay 

7. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Big Hank - If you help me out I will sign a legally binding contract to keep the secret a secret :lol 

8. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    :D 

9. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Why is it such a secret? The funny thing is, I've used different connectors than the heavy hitters but it still came out almost the same. I think it may be considered a secret because there is no real rule of thumb. Somethings work on one bot that will not work on others. If you're interested on how I did Devy, I'll share some pics. They may help and then again, they may not. But if you are looking for the Unicron torso version, then I can't help as much. After all, this is a site to help one another so here goes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I took the whole "secret" bit as a joke.

11. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    as did I...

Moe, thanks for the pics. I was just looking for ideas. I know once I get knee deep in it things will change and evolve. It's good to see what others have tried, that's all I needed!

12. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    What is this "wood" of which you speak ???

13. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Well here goes...
    to be honest, I copied Frenzy-Rumbles (with his permission of course via PM) from the pics he posted on the boards. I made two devys. It wasn't hard, just more time consuming. On my devy i used neo shifters locking peg joints, a few scratchbuilt slide peg joints. The connections for the shoulders were scratchbuilt with sculpted tamaya putty and afew random TF parts. The arms of primus were connected with heavy mods to the bots and neo shifters. And random parts like the chest cover were connected rare earth magnet (found at radio shack)
    as for the figures-as follows:
    arms RID grimlock and wedge
    Legs movie Grindcore and heavily modded energon barricade for mixmaster
    waist energon demolishor (the dumptruck)
    Chest RID Hightower

The other parts as you know Unicron and Primus as well as some modified G1 Devy parts.

Hope that helps.

Mac

14. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

It's about time that someone gracious like Moe helps out newbees who are interested in getting started in the Radicons custom kitbashing hobby.

Thanks Moe for your help with getting the ideas started with the joint connections. Your several emails have definitely clarified things for me. I posted here a couple months ago asking the same questions on the "how to" with combiners and I got meager answers.

I'm still in the learning stages, but once I figure out my own system that works, I will definitely create my own tutorial and post it in the tutorial threads.

I think it's taboo for some Radicons to discuss how it's done because:
    a) they dislike future competition
    b) fear their ideas will be stolen and used for profit as a resale (i.e. eBay, etc.) I don't endorse people doing that at all, but shady people will be shady people and sometimes it's out of our control really what they do.
    c) too lazy and stingy to help out (which I find funny because I see some of the masters' old posts and they at one point were asking a thousand questions on how to do it when they first got started. and once they learned it, it's all hush hush.)
    d) some folks really don't know how it's done. LOL

Is it frowned upon that Moe finally disclosed some information on how it's done? Reminds me of Bruce Lee's case of wanting to teach Jeet Kun Do to non-Chinese people and the Chinese community frowning upon him teaching the secrets. LOL

I'll probably get flamed for speaking out about this, but who cares. If it helps one more new person who wants to learn this awesome and interesting hobby, so be it.

15. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    nah, that's ok mrclean. you're right on some points, but as an artist, we should be given a margin of protection with some of our "tricks of the trade" so to speak. I'm all about helping other people, even when some people think I am here for myself.

I usually don't hesitate to provide a full PDF I made for Devastator's "instructions" when approached by the right person with the right intent.

I thought the flood on Devastators via ebay/etc would effect the desire for more commissioned Devastators for me, but ironically, it's just the opposite. I will most likely be commissioning many more of these in June,

16. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I really should admit it, Frenzy Rumble, that your work initially inspired my interest to start learning how to make my own Transformers custom. I finally got a 1985 G1 original Devastator for the first time after 23 years as he is one of my most favorite characters as a child; Seeing your custom figure on your website inspired me BEYOND BELIEF. I seriously can't even concentrate in my office cubicle daydreaming of one day I might be able to make one and display it proudly on my desk!! (I just hope nobody at the office would steal it. LOL)

I can assure you that I don't have any wrong intent. I'm not doing this project to make money. (I'm slowly learning that it's costing me considerably just to get all the prep materials and base parts. LOL) I'm doing this truly as a labor of love. Even with my collecting habits, I open every single TF I get. I don't care for the whole MISB deal. Look at my signature, I proudly display all my G1's in a case!

I would totally be indebted to you if you could help me out with that PDF instructions you mentioned on Devastator. If you want to even charge me Paypal for it, shoot, I'll even accept that. This is a project I really have no timetable to complete by, but I truly want to make sure I do it right from the start.

PM sent.

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    haha I wouldn't charge you. send me an email.

18. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I see it less as "a secret" and more of a way of figuring it out for yourself, so that your creation is truly unique and distinct from say, Ptitvite's or Frenzy_Rumble's.

I'm making my own Devastator, but I'm not making it exactly the same way as anyone previously has done it. I may be using many of the same pieces, but it won't be exactly the same. Same ends, different means, you know?

The whole "secrecy" thing as I see it, is just artistic integrity and nothing to do with eBay or making money.

19. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I thought I was pretty helpful with documenting my progress. =(
    http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-cus...tator-wip---first-bash---updated-1231-167031/

haha! Anyways... I think it's a combination of both b) and an artist's personal 'tricks' that they just don't want to give out. If you give out all your techniques and cool tricks, your future works may seem less impressive -- especially if that's the only thing you got.

I'm sure if SunnyDay77 posts any questions that come up along the way, a slew of Radicons will help out.

20. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Hey I'm not tryin to steal anyone's artistic integrity; I thought I made that pretty clear in my initial post :(  It is sad that people still ideas, but I don't understand the automatic distrust. I assure you my devvy is going to be a bit different than most, heck I have already gotten some of the pieces that I know have not been used in other people's work.

Bottom line is, I will figure out my own ways of doing things as I go along, I was basically asking for help with a starting off point. I appreciate those of you who have helped. I am not trying to make a carbon copy of anyone's work, and I would be fooling myself and insulting you guys if I acted like I could make it half as awesome and inspired as what you have done. I just want to make one for my own collection, that's it.

Frenzy_Rumble, I also sent you a PM last week asking for help because of your amazing defensor (which, BTW, glad you are getting a nice penny for :) ). I hope you can send me that pdf as well, just to give me some ideas and maybe some things you have tried and failed with. I hope I, along with mrclean, are the "right people".