Customs: Custom Devastator...but check out Superion!!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by payton34, Dec 7, 2008.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Attached Files:

2. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...while the combined mode looks cool, it doesn't look that much like superion. I like his sling shot alot. That's about where it ends. It seems there is so much potential with this guy, but meh.

And I detest use of that little guy for bonecrusher.

3. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

lol old news! Another guy who wants big money. He succeeded in the upper body part of Dev but I really think the legs design don't fit with the upper body:IMO, looks like he made a Dev with half of mine and the other half of F-R. I ain't gonna back out on my comments as I read his auction description and he believes that he's got the first and best Dev ever made.
    As for Superion:
    Cyb Starscream, Unicron's hands, Cyb Metroplex parts, Primus's crotch, G1 Superion chest shield... The jets seem to attach to the body but I think it can stand up without the aerialbots on it.

BTW, I use the same superion pic for reference and I don't understand how he came up with that formula. ..too many added limbs.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Not even so much about better, but where is the creativity? I'm not knocking his work, or the work of anyone else for that matter, but it seems that ever since you made the template for Devs, everyone just copies to an extent. They all start start to look rather academic. At least I'm makin' mine in the Animated style!:p 
    As for Superion, may I quote :
    :thumb 

5. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Remember the guy who had the custom Superion on Ebay recently (the one with the $700 starting bid: http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/general-discussion-10/check-out-this-superion-166953/)?

I like the general aesthetic of his a bit better than the one I posted here, except it seems a bit skinny to me (which is why I prefer the slightly increased bulk of this one).

Also, the other one didn't really go into too much detail on the individual bots (just repainted seekers) whereas this one went into a bit more detail.

6. Ptitvite

I edited that part about arrogance but you get the point...There is no more creativity...Nothing blows my mind...no effort...just easy money.

7. Ptitvite

Again, he did a good job on Superion.. He could have done better with the chest shield but it was OK. As for the individual aerialbots, he took time to make somehow complicated mods but did'nt concentrate on the primary goal: making them look something else than seekers. No new head sculpts, no single engine jet mode, just repaints...and the paint job did'nt look professional. Some parts were not even painted so it looked rather cheap.

8. big hank

News Credits:
    Not even realizing if they pioneered a custom they would probably get the same compensation. Weird in a way, copying a complex custom like Dev is paradox. So much work and yet an utterly lazy way out:2c:  Leave's me confused:confused: 

9. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    No offense to anyone here, but Devi has gotten old really quick.
    I'd love to see a different combiner (other then Superion or Mensaur).
    Computron, Terror King, Abominus, Piranacon and yes Predaking
    Anything other then what we have already seen.

10. big hank

News Credits:
    Funny, would have never pegged you for a Predaking fan!:p 

11. Ptitvite

Hav'nt seen many Superion bashes around here while Defensors and Menasors are still in WIP. I don't mind not showing it but I'm pretty sure the majority of Radicons would like to see it finished. And don't worry, you'll see Computrons, Predakings and Abominus.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have to confess that while I'm always impressed with the craftsmanship, I'm starting to get a little bored of these Devastators... I take note of the little things that were done differently, but that's about it.

I've been putting together a Devastator since around the time Ptitvite (our trailblazer and spiritual mentor) first started previewing his Constructicons. Dammit... he really raised the bar, and made it harder on the rest of us. Now it's hard to accept anything less than G1-accuracy!

Heh heh... I haven't gotten very far with mine since then, but to some degree that's because I don't want to use the same formula that has been now overused.

It's tough though... there are only so many construction figures in a good deluxe scale. I wanted to use Mudflap for my Hook, but I couldn't get over the fact that he'd be so much bigger than the others in as a robot. Ideally I'd also like to avoid extra parts as much as possible (but it's really damn hard!).

For what it's worth though, I do like the way this Devvie turned out. Superion "cheats" way too much for my tastes though...

zmog

13. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Superion looks so beautiful...

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You know, I actually like both of these customs. And I think the paint is perfect. Yes, Devastator has gotten stale, but this is not a bad attempt at all. And I think we could use more Superions in the custom community.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but sometimes I sense a little elitism in Radicons. I credit Ptitvite's Devastator concept as it's spawned many more, but I think some of you are losing sight of what this is: a hobby as well as a form of art. Not a popularity contest where egos are stroked.

I'm not really going to knock a guy if he creates something and sells it to make a living...or at least have a second source of income. That's why I don't understand why there's such contempt for that here when it's been done so many times with people taking commissions and whatnot. Yea, many of us do it for the sake of art, but making a sale isn't exactly a bad thing and neither is having that as part of your motivation. We all need money to survive. Why not take advantages of your talents if it'll make your life easier?

I can't comment on the eBay description as I've never looked at the listing. I also want to apologize if I'm coming off as harsh. I'm just going by the posts I've been reading in recent weeks and what they've conveyed to me. I meant no offense to anyone.

15. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I seen this guy's work on ebay with his Devastator, Ptitvite inspired of course. I thought he did a good job for the most part, but I totally understand Ptitvite's comments about the legs. Scrapper had extra Unicron kibble for some reason?

I think Superion looks interesting, complex but interesting none the less. As far as everyone selling their bashes for buckets of cash, if that's how they are feeding their families. I totally understand. For everyone else taking advantage of the low supply and high demand curve, I totally understand that as well. Especially with the current economic situation.

There are some extremely talented people on this forum. I myself am no where in the same category. I've only got one bash under my belt - yes it is a Devastator, created for my younger brother inspired by Ptitvite and F_R of course. Alot of people have frowned upon the amount of people copying Ptitvit's Devastator design but for those of us not as talented, thank you Ptitvite for providing the blueprint. I quote my happy brother saying:

"This Ptitvite dude has helped a lot of people capture some good childhood memories."

Ptitvite, I hope you don't view these as knock off's but more of personal homage to your works. Thank you again.

16. big hank

News Credits:

Your point is valid, Satomi. There is not a thing wrong with putting forth one's art for compensation. I think where the black/white issue starts to blur to gray is when the "copying" artist doesn't ask the original artist's permission and/or is not credited. Of course folks will always do things a bit different, but the overall concept, in my opinion, belongs to the original artist. I don't particularly get the elitism vibe, I do feel Radicons are very protective of the integrity of our craft, and we do hold each other in high regard. In most art communities uncredited copying is quite frowned upon. That is not to say he couldn't have come up with the same idea at the same time, but to use pretty much the "standard" recipe is a bit copycat-ish(is that even a word?):2c: :thumb 

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm glad you see my point. I was afraid I was going to catch flack for what I said.

As for my prior comment on elitism, I'm not painting the whole community that way. I've just come across posts from people in recent weeks that can be perceived that way. Maybe they weren't trying to be that way. But I agree that there's a black and white line when it comes to art versus compensation.

I would've credited Ptitvite had that been my Devastator. But I also would've included F_R, Defstar, and a host of others because they've all brought something unique even though many of them used Ptitvite's as a template.

18. big hank

News Credits:
    I don't take offense to the elitism comment at all, nor would I assume that to be a blanket statement regarding the Radicons community as a whole. I believe those of us who frequent this forum have come to know each other at least enough to know most are quite fair in our opinion, I feel you are no exception. You've been a contributor and given commentary to others, so I don't think you have to worry about catching flack for voicing your honest opinion.

19. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

That Superion looks so powerful. I love that thing. His Dev is another great take on an incredible concept.

Personally, I view the "Bash for Cash" in one way. Some lucky bastid is getting a sweet custom.

20. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

anyone else notice what we dont see? The individual bots?

I wonder if he actually is a "combiner" per say. Were there pictures of the individuals in the auction?