Customs: Custom Dev Scratchbuild

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deaculpa, May 17, 2009.

1. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    I'm making a custom devastator based on the ptitvite tech.
    but I cant figure out who everyone is using for scavenger, the crane which serves as his right shoulder. It appears to be a red autobot steamshovel ...can anyone help?

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

it's a bot from the RID landfill set. I think I have an extra around here somewhere, if you're interested.

3. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    no, but good looking out. just got one :) 
    i may come to you for some tips though, this is my first mod. thanks!

4. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    thats whats up. I'm also looking for advice on:

1) making Dev's shoulder hinges strong enough to support lifted arm poses. how can i make a single shoulder hinge (from unicron) stronger?

2) any suggestions, links or advice on stacking the pieces in his midsection. i.e., unicrons hips -->mixmaster-->hook. ive seen some suggest lego knights and lego technics, but everyone seems to have their own thing. well, i dont have a thing yet but i want to try as much as possible so suggest away.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't mean to be an ass by saying this, but I think it's best to figure your own way about this custom. I'm making this Devvy as well, and I'm not using Ene. Demolishor for Long Haul (or at least not all of him) like most others have been. I think I've found a way to work the torso out without have to use a Primus backplate to keep it all together. And with that, I might even be able to pull off some articulation, but we'll see about that later.

I say, make this YOUR Devastator. You've got the 6 figures you need, I think it should be on you to put them together how you think would work best.

But yeah, for advice, searching the section for previous Devastators should be pretty easy. Most people have gone fairly in-depth on how they put theirs together. There's also a thread Ptitvite made about what connectors he used and where. And Frenzy_Rumble who made a PDF about what he used and how his connections were made (I think, I haven't actually seen the file myself).

6. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    i guess i havent said this, but this is my first mod/kitbash/paint session. everything i have transformer-wise was bought at the store. with that in mind...

too late.
    while i want to develop my own technique, is it a crime to ask about past techniques? would you fight a war without knowing anything about battle? im not trying to dis but if you cant help, step off. i think i understand that you were just trying to promote originality, but understand that im just trying to learn.

do you know where any of this is? i would love to read it. let me know, thanks.

7. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

here's ptitvites link:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...ptitvites-devastator-technical-data-pics.html

this will definately help you out.

and be sure to get epoxy glue, such as devcon plastic weld or plastic fusion. Those epoxies are great and hold really strong. And be sure to have a dremel/rotary tool, you'll need it :) 

Devastator is def. a gateway kitbash. He was my first kitbash and since then, I havn't turned back. I'm not afraid to cut up toys now lol :) 

Good luck man

8. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    rawk on, your generosity is unmatched, thy. i'll be starting in a week or two when all the other parts arrive but ill be sure to keep a thread posted and updated.

kusanagi chan -- the goal is to give back to the community once i've got my wings, but give a bruh a break in the mean time... got dayum.
    *lights blunt, relaxes*