Minor/Repaint: Custom "Dark Seeker" - WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by The Dark Seeker, Jul 1, 2011.

1. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Update on Page 7 (post 64)

Ok...so I finally found some time to start "finishing" off a project I started a while back. Got an airbrush, more propellant, some new paint. Skywarp coronation kit for Masterpiece Skywarp. Instead of using the cape that came with the kit, I had an alterations shop do a custom cape. Please be gentle :D  This is the first custom I've done....in years. I'm not done yet.....though...there's a few paint "errors" here and there I have to correct. But here it goes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup....sculpting a face plate. Some of you may not like this idea...but I thought...eh...let's do something different:

[​IMG]

By far, not the finished product, but this was shortly after the face plate was sculpted:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :thumbs2: 

3. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

looks great to me, i didnt notice any"mistakes"

4. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

i like it

5. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    DANG....DANG.....DANG... like in the DOTM-Trailer..... Brutal... Beautiful brutal! Looks to scary

6. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone :D 

@ Alloy ALchemist - The paint errors are minor...but upon a closer look up front....you'd be able to see it and it bugs the hell outta me.

I'll probably try to finish it soon. I'm also in the process of scratch building a scythe out of styrene (not sure how I wanna go about that yet....perhaps get some clear styrene for the blade and paint that clear red?) and custom fitting a rifle from another toy line to fit on one of his arms......already got a few ideas in mind. Once I finish and post the short bio I wrote for this one....it'll make sense :wink: 

7. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

So, who is he supposed to be, the Fallen?

8. kanozzle

kanozzle Creature

Looks awesome! :D 

9. Alloy Alchemist

any tips on rub spots? i'm painting up a mp seeker at the moment

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I like it TDK! Aaaaaas I've been telling you over the paaaast few weeks because I'm super awesome and got sneaky peakies! :lol 

11. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Boxarak - No...definitely not the fallen. This figure was actually in progress a while back. Things got busy with life and I stopped working on it. My username is actually based off of this very figure.....

Kanozzle - Thanks :D 

Alloy Alchemist - I generally try to sand down the part before I paint it. To avoid as much rub spots as possible, I use an airbrush and spray evenly. But you have to be patient and not spray any one spot with more paint than another. Use moderately quick strokes, but not so quick as to "miss" painting the part, yet not so slow as to clump the paint on :D  and try to hold the brush at least a good 5 inches away depending on the part you're painting. If you like to mash down on the button...then maybe hold the airbrush further away :D  A few strokes should get the "coat" you want. Always let the first coat dry before you paint another coat if you didn't like how the first one came out. Again, don't use a crap ton of paint if you need to. I remember when first painting...I made that mistake and my model airplanes came out like someone shat it out. :banghead:  But its all a learning experience.

If you do get rub spots on paint, generally, use fine grit sandpaper and water, wet sand it. But be gentle. Get it to where it's more or less "even" and smooth. Unfortunately, this may cause some of the paint if not a lot, to be removed. After you smooth it out, repaint.....and be careful.

Otherwise, you can follow the instructions on this link which kinda gives the same instructions, but more detailed:

Rubbing Out Paint

It has a lot of info :wink: 

TJ - LOL yeah........you were one of two that got sneak peeks :D  And to think, I haven't even posted the bio yet......

12. Alloy Alchemist

thanks but not really what i was asking, more along the lines of where the rub spots are on this mold,thanks again in advance.

13. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Well, then can you clarify where on the mold you're talking about? I didn't have any problems other than me goofing up here and there.

14. Pyps

Pyps Germany┬┤s Customizer

nice and clear paint, good job :wink: 

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    ... so I take it you've finally decided to finish off your new body? Sounds good. :) 

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can't even remember all of the things I've said to you know about this one! I do know that it's been so much fun watching you make this! I think it's great :) 

I've gotta remember that link above :)  When I paint and wet sand, much of that goes into my thinking as well. I've been meaning to post more about my own painting processes, just to have some more fun (not because SQ7's so awesum :lol ). I've had it in the works, but just let it slide due to working on other things (like the tutorials section here!).

Also:

Do NOT beat yourself up over this a whole lot. Errors can be found in ANY work. Take factory figures and look at them up close. Examine them. None of them are "perfect".

Keep up the good work, buddy :thumb 

17. 6leo

6leo Well-Known Member

This is cool ! I love it!!

18. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Thanks again everyone :) 

Sq7 - I usually try not to beat myself up over it, but I know it will get to me eventually, so might as well "fix" it now if I can rather than to have it sit there over time.....and then having it bug me later :D  Next class for school is starting up soon, so I may have to pause on this for another month before I can actually "finish" it the way I want it.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I totally agree. :thumb 

Basically, I didn't want you to beat yourself up over it too badly, though :) 

20. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    I won't :D ...especially now that I've went over and fixed the minor errors here n there, smoothed out the face plate and repainted it and sanded off Skywarp's name off the stand/ base plate ad sprayed that. Not sure if I wanna go the route of getting letter decals to spell out this guy's name or not. I think I might as well since I also took the time to paint the decepticon emblem on the stand from purple to red......pics to come tomorrow....