Minor/Repaint: Custom contest entry: Movie Smokescreen

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokescreenSWE, Jan 26, 2008.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is my finished entry for the custom contest. As you can see, he's made from a Movie Swindle with a head from G1 Quickmix (to make up for this blatant theft, I've got something cool planned for him later).

I decided to do a Movie repaint because I noticed that those and Alternators were Vector's favourites, judging from his output here.

When deciding on a paintjob, I came up with three options. One was to make another repaint like Cybertron Smokescreen etc, trying to fit the original Datsun deco on a completely different car. Well, I didn't want that. Been there done that. The other was to make him into the racing deco of the Chevrolet Cobalt the toy transforms into, but that deco turned out to be just all red and that was boring. Finally, I decided to turn him into a Citro├źn Xsara '04 Rally Edition. The car looks somewhat similar and has a very Smokescreen-like deco.

For painting, I tried a brand new approach. I masked off and spray painted the entire car mode and did all the detailing in this mode. I then took a couple of pictures of this (luckily) before I changed him to robot mode and disassembled him.

I then painted most of the interior by hand with glossy acrylic paint. The blue parts were spray painted to match the body color. For the first time I tried washing with black and silver in some areas to improve detailing.

Well, then I was going to fit the head back on. It wouldn't fit just right so I put some super glue on the ball joint. Unfortunately this ran into the crack between his chest pieces and got into the spring that activates his automorph. Now the center piece won't turn and he pretty much can't transform anymore. Bummer. I hope he still qualifies for the contest. If not, at least I've learned something.

Attached Files:

2. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Makes me like swindle.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Is there no way for you to disassemble the torso so you can clean the glue out?

4. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think so... I couldn't pull it apart BEFORE it was glued and I'm pretty sure things would break if I tried now.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Exactly!!...you made Movie Swindle's toy look very cool!!

Sorry bout the glue incident...:( 

I know that had to be a bummer....but it still turned out to be a great looking custom :thumb 

6. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

thats sweet the paint job looks top notch another great custom

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I have to agree, I never cared for this mold until now. Very good work.

8. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Thats pretty cool, but even a good paint job cant save this bot mode, its awful. Still, least the alt mode looks cool with the smokescreen paint style. He seems to be a very popular character to repaint lately.

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I agree that this project made me actually want to get this Swindle mold. You did a great job in making something cool out of something BLAH. Keep up the great work!

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Pretty cool job; pity about the glue incident.
    But you know, looking at this pics has made me think of something. With the chest cannon and all the obvious artillery, if repainted this could make a really cool Bluestreak...

11. mdenson

mdenson Member

That looks wicked!

Haven't ever done a kitbash before myself, but used to make custom citadel minatures, so might give it a try!

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'd definitely recommend it; it's brilliant fun. :D  And with your mainiatures background, it sounds like you've probably got quite a few of the skills you'll need - although I daresay you'll pick up a lot more on the way; I certainly have!