Minor/Repaint: Custom Construct-bots

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by char_leigh, Feb 11, 2014.

1. shumworld

shumworld Well-Known Member

Im disappointed that the new line of Construct Bots can only clip and not peg.

2. char_leigh

char_leigh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me, too. Although I've had only 3 clips break on me out of the dozens of sets I've bought, I prefer the pegs over the clips. Totally.

3. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

ok whew, good. :) 

As for painting; I'm super novice with it. I don't really even know how the prepping process works.

The only issues I've encountered with spray painting the various parts, is that the windshields of the figures don't hold the paint well. They took many, many, many coats, and even then, it still runs off.

I found that when I use masking tape to cover up parts I don't want paint on, the sticky residue it leaves behind when I take it off actually helps to grab the paint; so I started doing that purposely.

For Wildrider, who in my opinion has the best paint job; I actually left the tape on and spray painted right over it.

Lastly, I found that SATIN finish looks the best on this plastic; gloss was way too wet looking and didn't look good.

4. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    Might be worth lightly sanding or scuffing up your windscreens/prepainted parts etc, or at least washing them and use a scouring sponge to scrub off the factory coating of oils, they apply a thin coat to keep toys shiney.

SORRY ABOUT THE HIJACK TO ADVISE.

charliegh great work as always, your AOE stuff blows me away.

5. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I appreciate that. Guess too late now though.
    Lol

The scuffing would show through once it's repainted though ?

6. char_leigh

News Credits:
    I don't mind, craftsmith. :)  Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for the painting advice too -- I've been looking into painting Construct-Bots and I'm curious as how to prep the plastic, so I appreciate that input. :) 

7. craftsmith

Ebay:
    I use a very fine sand paper and a thin spray of undercoat , or hand painting with PLASTIKOTE or HUMBROL paints direct. Ive used humbrol gloss black on starscreams head without priming and it covered first time without issue, since constructbots have few rubbing issues for transforming etc like other transformers figures. When I painted up kreons I used thinned down acrylics as that dries like a plastic film (it can be easily cleared off with a hard cloth if things go wrong too).

8. char_leigh

News Credits:
    Custom Construct-Bots HYBRID OPTIMUS PRIME.

This was a unique project. I accidentally broke a Dark of the Moon MechTech Deluxe Optimus Prime. I didn't want the broken figure to go to waste so I salvaged it with various Construct-Bots parts (like the newer model skeleton). Here's the final result of Construct-Bots pieces mixed with standard TF pieces...

Attached Files:

9. char_leigh

News Credits:
    Custom Construct-Bots Lockdown (ver.3) and Optimus Prime.

Here's a third attempt at a custom Construct-Bots Age of Extinction Lockdown. I also re-shot my custom Construct-Bots Optimus Prime.

Attached Files:

10. char_leigh

News Credits:
    Custom Construct-Bots Ironhide.

Here are two custom Construct-Bots Ironhide figures that I made. One is Generation 1 influenced and the other is just a bulkier, Cybertron-esque version.

Attached Files:

11. wheelnut

wheelnut Well-Known Member

what are you working off of to get these ideas ? fantastic work as usual

12. char_leigh

News Credits:
    Thanks for the compliment. I don't really work off of much to get my ideas for these. Sometimes I'll just sit around and play with different pieces and find different ways to combine stuff. Other times I'll just challenge myself and say, "Let's make this character." And I'll see what I come up with.

Usually, I pay attention to important things like colors, proportion, and character silhouette --> those are key in making a character recognizable. It's easy to just put pieces together, but if you can make something where it translates well and other people can easily identify what you made --> then it's a successful build.

That's kind of my philosophy and mindset when I make these things.

13. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that; I was going to ask the same question.

You must have a loooooot of sets purchased. I know for my 5 Stunticons project I needed to purchase a good amount; I can only imagine what you needed for these.

I still think out of everything I saw, the way you extended the chest on certain figures (especially Megatron) is brilliant. Needless to say, I might be "borrowing" that idea. ;) 

(if you don't mind)

14. char_leigh

News Credits:
    I can't take credit for some of the things I implement on my builds -- some of the chest extensions I use was actually taken from other builds I've seen on the internet. I don't know who to credit specifically because I saw it being used by different people. Feel free to borrow any techinique that I've used. I'm a firm believer in just sharing my builds to give other people ideas. :) 

Yeah, I've gone thru A LOT of kits to build my figs. I was lucky, because I always bought multiple kits whenever I saw Construct-Bots figs on sale or on clearance. Especially the original Prime/Megatron 2 pack -- I got great deals on those when they were being clearanced out of some stores like Target (here in the USA). I think I paid $7 for that set when it went on clearance -- I bought A LOT of those at that price.

15. char_leigh

News Credits:
    Custom Construct-Bots Age of Extinction Grimlock.

Here are custom Construct-Bots Grimlock figures that I made. One is a non-transforming Age of Extinction Grimlock in robot mode. Another is a non-transforming Age of Extinction Grimlock in T-Rex mode. And there is also my non-transforming Generation 1 Grimlock.

Attached Files:

16. char_leigh

News Credits:
    Custom Construct-Bots Mirage and Swoop ( Strafe ).

Here's my take on a custom Construct-Bots Mirage and a custom Construct-Bots Swoop ( Strafe ).

Attached Files:

17. craftsmith

Ebay:
    superb work as always.

18. char_leigh

News Credits:
    Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback -- especially with these newer AOE Construct-Bots. With the newer Construct-Bots design, it's been more of a challenge trying to make new figs.

19. char_leigh

News Credits:
    Prevent C-Clip breakage and stress marks.

A helpful tip regarding C-Clips...

Attached Files:

20. char_leigh

News Credits:
    Custom Construct-Bots Optimus Prime and Dino Riders.

After 1 month and 2 previous builds, I finally made a custom Construct-Bots Age of Extinction Optimus Prime that I'm happy with. It's not screen accurate by any means, it's moreso inspired by the new film. I'm really happy with the proportions and silhouette of this build.

I also tweaked the Dino Riders a little. They no longer transform, but I wanted them to have better proportions and to not look so squat.

Attached Files: