Minor/Repaint: Custom Classics Thrust

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

So, long time ago (last year?) I got a hold of some rerpoduction wings from Alyosha. I set about painting up a Ramjet with those wings to make my own Thrust. The wings, being reproduction quality, aren't the strongest of plastic material. In fact, the pegs that are meant to attach to the wings snapped off on both of them during application tests. I had to JB weld them to the body hinges to make them work. Because I had to glue them in place, they won't 'rotate' back the way I wanted. (Never planned to do the "Seeker" flip-up look, but I wanted them to hinge back enough to give his arms some room) Plus, at one point while he was setting, I knocked him off the bathroom counter inadvertently and broke one of his tail fins in two places. Fixed that up, of course, and got everything attached. I have to be kind of delicate with his arms around the wings, and they'll never sit straight up and down. Although it doesn't mess with his articulation all too much otherwise.

Still, for the purposes of display he looks quite good. I hadn't gotten around to painting his robot details until recently--plus I couldn't decide on plane details. Never was a fan of the white/red stripes. Eventually, I decided the two-tone jet look was fine. Anyway, here he is. You can see my custom Dirge in the final shots. Since I went red highlights with him, I thought I'd go yellow highlights with Thrust. Plus some other detail differences. :) 

Attached Files:

2. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Yea I had the same complaint about the wing pegs on these, they snapped off when I went to put the wings on for the first time I tried using the pins from thumbtacks heated to push through the the peg to the wing and cut the top off but the repro plastic weakened from the heat considerably leaving me with saggy wings So instead of trying to mount the tail wings and have problems with them, I bought a set of wings from a G-1 Thrust and modded them to work on the Ramjet body and bought a A-10 Thunderbolt set of new sculpt tail wings from Squadron that I clipped and modded to attach on to the original tail wing base.

Overall looks good almost like the botcon version.

3. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Yeah, and not nearly as expensive. Although, not quite as solid either. Still, he looks great with the others, and with him and my TC repaint I've got all six. Makes me happy. :) 

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    He looks great!

5. kaotic504

kaotic504 Well-Known Member

i like it. great job. what kind of paint did you use?

6. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Tamiya Dull Red (TS-33), Krylon Fusion black, with enamel aluminum highlights.

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    looks great, man. I think you should peak into my Classics Thrust thread. ;)  your Thrust will be very happy if you did.