Minor/Repaint: Custom classics Megatron WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by D-Unit, Jun 1, 2010.

1. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey all,

I haven't done any customs in 3+ years due in part to being busy and in part to being lazy. I wanted to do something so I wasn't just lurking in the shadows saying "great job, that's awesome" after anybody else posted something, so I decided to try to jump on the classics Megatron bandwagon everybody's been doing. Anyway, about 3 years ago, I posted this custom of Classics Megatron:

[​IMG]

At the time I was happy with it, but now seeing everyone else's awesome Megatrons, and thinking that my skills have improved, I decided to blow the dust off this one and update it. I was going for G1-cartoon accuracy, I would say this is about 70% done.
    [​IMG]
    This was my first time using putty and styrene to sculpt something, and I am really not happy with the chest plate so far (Spoonman, if you are reading, hook me up with the cast of the chest plate you did, pleeeeeeeeeease), so I am still sanding it and squaring it off. I need to add another trigger to the right shoulder to balance it out. I plan on adding articulated hands from a Jazz alternator I have before it's all said and done. The back barrell is made from a pen cap that has a peg from Clocker's pipes glued to it, which is plugged into a hole I drilled in the back. The wings/shell have been removed like everyone is doing, and I am trying to re-design them to look like something a little less Nerf/cartoony ray gun when it's done. You'll also notice I swapped out the fusion cannon for a G1 one. I HATED the fusion cannon he came with, it was too big and too fat for his arm, not to mention the fact that it was attached to the bottom of his arm, so I got rid of it. The g1 cannon is longer, but a lot more streamlined and aesthetically I think it looks a lot better. I am also in the process of re-building the crotch piece, but that is obviously in the early stages, as you can see. I don't like the way the silver looks, so I when I re-paint him, I am going to instead use a light gray to look more like the cartoon. In any event, sorry if I bored anyone with this long ass explanation, thanks for reading. Comments and criticisms please, but be gentile, this was my first one in a long time. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

ur first megatron turned out great man, so i know this one is going to rock. a suggestion, i think the armade megatron mold has some nice shoulder pieces, in the shape this classics mold has, and they have some nice "raised" con symbols. i'm not sure if adding any pieces to the shoulders would interfere with his transformation or not, i've never had this figure. And i love that u added the G1 cannon, looks really good with him

looking forward to seeing more.

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Glad to see you delving back into the customs scene D.

As for the chest plate, it honestly doesn't look bad for a WIP.

Only advice I can give you (and that's only if you aren't already doing it this way) is try making your panels from paper first.

Get it how you want on paper, then once you have that mapped out, use the paper as a template and transfer that to your Styrene. just remember to cut outside your trace line, and then hand sand to fit.....at least that's what I do, and it works like a charm.

And for hands, I think the Alt Viper hands would be a better fit. Ptitvite casts these, and they are a good product too....I have purchased a few sets, so I can speak from experience on that.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks man, I'll have to look into the Armada one, for now, I don't really mind the shoulders, just need to add the "trigger" piece to the other one, he's still asymmetrical for now.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks PK, I will have to look into that, I was just using the Jazz hands because I happen to have them, but now that you said that, I remember the Viper hands were smaller, and would probably work a lot better. I have to try that with the paper, as I said, this was my first time with styrene and sculpting, so it's still a learning process, so advice like that is greatly appreciated.

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    No prob man. Once you get the hang of Styrene, its a breeze to work with. I'm sure you'll do fine

Actually Prowl, Skids, and the Viper Brothers all have that same styled hand.....smaller "boxy" design to them....maybe look for a junked out Viper with the hands, that way you can use the hands and the ball socket of the arm/wrist area....you could just graft that onto your custom Megs' arms.

7. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Nice work dude. I think your chest piece looks great! Some sanding and not using a flash will probably do wonders.

Would love to see a shot of the back to see where you drilled to attach the gun barrel since that's where I'm at right now.

8. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think your mods are looking great dude! Keep up the great job. :) 

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I need to get the hang of taking good pics again, as I said it's been a while. I will try to find a well-lit room tomorrow and get a pic of that for you.

10. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I think this looks pretty nice so far, D! I like the variation on the chest (it's unique and different from the others out there, including my own). I also think your styrene work is good, it just needs a bit of sanding and refining in areas. Overall, not bad at all, bro. As Eric (pk) said, working with styrene is easy once you get the feel of it and learn just what you can do with it. When I first started out, I completely sucked at using styrene......now I feel pretty confident in cranking out almost anything from the stuff (I've gotten really good with heads and body mods with styrene--scratchbuilding chests and parts). Trust me when I say you'll learn quickly and get even better at it. Just keep at it, man!

One thing I really love about this is the G1 Megatron fusion cannon! I've been trying to hunt one down for my Megatron WIP, but I've had no luck (they're either too high $ or in pieces). I have the first re-release Takara Megatron back home in Florida, but now that I'm living in GA, it's not easy to shoot down and grab it for use on this project. So if you have another to spare or know where I can snag one also, hit me with a PM, my friend.

Keep up the great work--definitely looking forward to seeing more on this one.

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

D-D-D-D-D-UNIT! Welcome back, man! The cannon looks great. I think your chest just needs some more sculpting material, some careful sanding and some more buffing and it would be totally fine! Good to see you back at it, man. :thumb 

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks man. It actually doesn't look as bad as I am making it out to be. the flash on the camera and the reflective paint is creating what looks like a bunch of scratches. I am going to have to take some better well-lit pics to give people a better idea of where I'm at, but thanks for all the advice so far. Hopefully I will get this where I want it.