Customs: custom boxes styro inserts and instruction manuals

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by jtuarus, Apr 27, 2007.

1. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    im not to sure if this belongs in here ir in fan art so i went with here since it is custom work imo. but i was wondering if any one has had any experience with makin custom boxes styro inserts and instruction manuals id like to do a gift set box for a bash wheeljaxx is doin for me and would love to display em this way. iv seen a site on the net where a guy did a delorian tf with it all but am not sure if he detailed the whole process if you could help ty.

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah, this goes here. You should do a quick search. Someone else asked about boxes awhile back.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    John Spangler is a friend of mine and his custom Steelskin TF actually won 1st place at Botcon 2K1 (the one Botcon I've been to). On his site, he does provide a reasonably in depth description of what he did in creating the materials. If you click my homepage, then my "Bashers!" page, you'll find a link to his work there :) 

4. jtuarus

Ebay:
    ya johns projects where sweet but what im wantin to do is make a psuedo gestalt gift set box but in the classics type packaging look. now i guess that the gift boxes are really just giant squares or rectangles but still with adding graphics and the classics backgrounds and font. but id like to use hand drawn characters instead of the toy pics like the real classics have. so tell me what u think

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well if you have a graphics editor (such as Photoshop), you're all set. John, myself, and others typically use PS to create such things. :)  Keep us posted on your progress!

6. jtuarus

Ebay:
    ya i saw johns instructions on the styro insurt which will help a ton but alas i wont get the figs till june some time and unless josh does hand drawn pics of each figure ill have to have them commishened which will take longer id like to have it done before botcon so that maybe i could send wheeljaxx one for his display. hey hes doining the figs for me at reasonable fee why not try to make a great giftsetbox to help with his display. thats if he would want it or maybe even make one himself but id like to try to make one for mine at least. oh if u havent seen it this is what i want to make box for http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=125065

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yep, it's very nice work indeed. :) 

( . . . and I usually try to keep up with everyone's work here on the Radicons forum ;) )

8. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where's the insturctions on making a styro insert? (I want to make some for the figures I have in boxes, but with no inserts.

9. jtuarus

Ebay:
    its on john spanglers site think its johnspangler.com but not sure i know supersquad has a link to it

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Who's this supersquad guy?

As for a link to John's page, see post #3. ;) 

11. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

it will be done long before botcon. :) 

and to have a box would be awsome indeed.

12. jtuarus

Ebay:
    thats ur knew nickname :lolol  no just kinda got it jumbled in head sry and jaxx i didnt mean the bots i meant my box it would be my first undertaking and not sure how long it will take me. btw ne1 know where to get thicker styrofoam went to home depot and all they got is 2 inch thick im looking for a bit thicker also jaxx it could help if you could lay the figures out like the origanal box set had em and measure how big it would have to be for the insert and box thats if you could ty ill try to find a pic of old box set

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    That would be a negative :poke  hehe Don't worry, you're not the first who's done that. :lol 

Anyways, keep us updated on your progress. I wish you well in your box creation! :thumb 

14. jtuarus

Ebay:
    i was wondering if there was any artists out there that are good at the g1 box art look if there are replie plz

15. jtuarus

Ebay:
    ne1 know the best way to cut styrofoam for custom box inserts